Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Super Bowl weekend flights, UA adding extra flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

HI all,

Need more extra flight section for Super Bowl weekend?

SF 49ers already won a game tonight. Those fans who wants to go to Super Bowl games. Do they need extra flights? from SFO to FLL/MIA?

Last edited by N830MH; Jan 19, 2020 at 8:17 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Already been announced by AA so can't imagine UA will be far behind, at least from Bay Area.
N830MH likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Given what UA has done for recent Super Bowls, I have to imagine they add SFO/MCI-MIA to the schedule. Wonder if they will decide to add any flights to FLL, or add any departures ex-STL (since the Chiefs are now Missouri’s only football team). SJC-MIA would be cool as well, but methinks UA will stiff SJC, as the usually do...
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Given what UA has done for recent Super Bowls, I have to imagine they add SFO/MCI-MIA to the schedule. Wonder if they will decide to add any flights to FLL, or add any departures ex-STL (since the Chiefs are now Missouri’s only football team). SJC-MIA would be cool as well, but methinks UA will stiff SJC, as the usually do...
An interesting situation this year as FLL is exponentially closer to the actual stadium while MIA is better located for all the surrounding activity (and volume of hotels).

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
An interesting situation this year as FLL is exponentially closer to the actual stadium while MIA is better located for all the surrounding activity (and volume of hotels).
Actually, according to Google Maps, the stadium is equidistant (time-wise) from both FLL and MIA. I would not have thought...
HofstraJet likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 20, 2020 at 11:46 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
They are almost exactly equidistant...
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by N830MH
Do they need extra flights? from SFO to FLL/MIA?
I don't think a ERJ-145 can fly that far... Perhaps they add it with a fuel stop along the way....
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
As always with these issues, it's about gate space and available airframes. They will add what they can, with these considerations in mind. I would probably expect an extra flight each day for 3 or 4 days in advance. Maybe two on the last day or two closest to the Super Bowl. Not news here, folks, except its focus on a main hub team playing in the Super Bowl (GO 49ers!!!)...maybe an extra airframe or two.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
I don't think a ERJ-145 can fly that far... Perhaps they add it with a fuel stop along the way....
Stop in KC and take on more passengers! Left side for 49 fans and right side for KC fans (no jokes about weight and balance issues)
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Glad to see UA won't be launching a GRB-MIA service any time soon...
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spin88
I don't think a ERJ-145 can fly that far... Perhaps they add yit with a fuel stop along the way....
No, they will have a large aircraft, not ERJ145. They will put on 737-900ER aircraft instead.

Already been announced by AA so can't imagine UA will be far behind, at least from Bay Area.
Yes, it is! Here's a link:

Newsroom - American Airlines Adds Flights to Miami, Welcoming More Fans to the City for the Big Game - American Airlines Group, Inc.

They will adding flight from SFO/SJC-MIA & MCI-MIA, as well as Southwest Airlines.

Delta added 2 flights MCI-MIA on Jan 31 and vice versa Feb 3. They also added 1x SFO-MIA, as well.

JetBlue adding 3 extra flights SFO-FLL on January 30/31, 2020. This is for extra flights to FLL.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 20, 2020 at 12:05 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
UA has also jumped on the bandwagon, adding two MCI-MIA nonstop services on the 757-300 on 01/31 and 02/01. No return flights for some reason.
N830MH likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
There’s a post- game UA 991 at 2:55 am on Feb 3 MIA-IAH to get you to your destination.

if you have AA miles, nonstop SJC-MIA is cheaper in first with miles than coach at the moment.

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
They are almost exactly equidistant...
They are (I live in S Florida) and FLL is much easier to navigate, though as stated the hoopla and events are in Miami so if you want to participate, need to factor in transportation to Miami.

Fort Lauderdale complains about the marketing every time the Super Bowl is held in South Florida. Instead of marketing the game as South Florida, it is marketed as Miami. Makes sense as Miami is sexy and hip, but still...doesn’t serve Fort Lauderdale well. There are related concerts and events in Miami that are further from the stadium than Fort Lauderdale is, but to the visitors, anything in Miami is closer than Fort Lauderdale.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 20, 2020 at 11:29 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: Hertz PC
MCI-MIA direct flights

For Superbowl I see United has some direct flights MCI-MIA on 753's. But not seeing any return direct flights.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

WN is adding 3x extra flights MCI-FLL on January 31 and returning back to MCI from FLL on February 3, 2020.

Spirit Airlines is adding 1x MCI-FLL.

DL is adding 2x MCI-MIA A321 aircraft.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by bhunt
For Superbowl I see United has some direct flights MCI-MIA on 753's. But not seeing any return direct flights.
Look on 2/3. Interesting flight times.

Where do the extra frames go from MCI?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.