Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy seats more comfortable than first for sitting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Unless the F seat is in lie flat mode (which is definitely better than E) I think I'm typically more physically comfortable in an E seat if I'm sitting.

Anyone else get this?

Obviously service/food is better, having elbow room is better, not having the entertainment screen 3 inches from your face is better...

I think it might be that the seat pan is too long for me in F. Also unless the F seat is brand new I feel the seats with a lie flat mode tend to slope in weird ways over time that I find hard to deal with compared to hard flat E seats.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Not to get too personal, but we might need to know more about your body proportions to have an idea why that might be. At least for me I've very uniformly found domestic first seats way more comfortable than economy seats. I generally don't have butt-discomfort though in either seat, so perhaps I will more carefully analyze it on my upcoming flights...
ajGoes and Artpen100 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Nappes
Unless the F seat is in lie flat mode (which is definitely better than E) I think I'm typically more physically comfortable in an E seat if I'm sitting.

Anyone else get this?

Obviously service/food is better, having elbow room is better, not having the entertainment screen 3 inches from your face is better...

I think it might be that the seat pan is too long for me in F. Also unless the F seat is brand new I feel the seats with a lie flat mode tend to slope in weird ways over time that I find hard to deal with compared to hard flat E seats.
I think it depends on the seat. But I would agree if we're talking about either the new UA domestic F seat, or the old AS F seat. I find both really uncomfortable for more than an hour or so. But then some Y seats are horribly uncomfortable as well, such as WN's "Evolve."

The added space is a different issue.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only E seat I think is (was) more comfortable than F is the one before they were slimlined (maybe still on some 767).
ATLintheair likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone else get this?
No
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't think of any time that I've been more comfortable in Y than F on the same plane. I'm tall enough that I appreciate the long seat pan (I actually find that a lot of seats have too short of a seat pan). I'm 6'2 though.

And the worst lie flat I've ever been on (even an angled lie flat) is better than the best economy seat. It's not close.

If we are talking about different airlines and different planes, you could make an argument that a JL "sky wider" economy seat (8 across 2-4-2 on the 787) is superior to a lot of domestic F. But I haven't flown it yet (though I'm seriously considering lifting my self-imposed ban on long-haul Y out of curiosity)
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Anyone else get this?
I would have to agree with you in some circumstances. But it really depends on how you are sat in Y.

In my case, I was CPUed for GUM-HKG (operation ceased) to J (but new domestic F seat). But almost the entire E+ section was empty. I was able to switch my J seat with my seatmate (I had the window seat) and I grabbed the entire row of E+ all by myself. The FA did not care, but just asked to come back to J for dinner.

So yes - if F vs the entire E+ row, I would say E+ is better.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'd say only on the E175 row 7. Otherwise no.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:54 am

Polaris J seats on 787-10 are much more narrower, some prefer Prem+
(787 fuselage is 1.5feet narrower than 77w, but 787 has 1-2-1 J and
2-3-2 PRem+ while 77w had 1-2-1 J and 2-4-2 prem+)

Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

Last edited by paperwastage; Jan 20, 2020 at 9:00 am
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No. Not even close.
RandomBaritone likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I really prefer an F seat over Y seat. I’m including comfort levels.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold

Anyone else get this?

Yes, but I'm pushing 6'7 (2m) department. Any upgrade to bulkhead A320 or similar, I politely but firmly decline from my exit row seat.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by A Little Cow
Not to get too personal, but we might need to know more about your body proportions to have an idea why that might be. At least for me I've very uniformly found domestic first seats way more comfortable than economy seats. I generally don't have butt-discomfort though in either seat, so perhaps I will more carefully analyze it on my upcoming flights...
This. I'd much rather sit up front during a 5 hour TCON, even if I were to get a row of Y to myself.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:56 am

i'd take row 21 with an empty middle over F any day. more legroom and more elbow room. i do find the seat generally more comfortable. some of the domestic F seats make me feel hunched forward and i don't like them at all. i downgrade many of my flights less than 2 hours. the Y snack box is also usually better than the F snack basket.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I sympathise with the OP’s thoughts. Some of the Biz class seats when upright hit me in the back of the knee which is very uncomfortable after an hour or so - particularly the pmCO seats. So I wouldn’t want an upgrade westbound on those but I still want it overnight eastbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.