Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2020 Let's Eat - United Premium Plus (International / Premium Transcon)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM

Doesn't seem to be a thread for food on Premium Plus, so here goes:

Sorry, no menu pictures; LHR-EWR, Jan 17 2020.

Choice of pasta (with goat cheese sauce) or chicken for 4pm departure, with some snacks served mid-flight, and another meal with choice of mac & cheese or cold-platter before 7:30pm landing!
All dishes were tasty (better than they looked), although the mac & cheese was slightly funky.

My wife had the chicken, and said: "It's better than what we had up there!" as she pointed to the Polaris cabin, which we flew on EWR-LHR some days earlier.

The dessert was a Treacle Toffee ice cream, which I found better than the sundae they serve in Polaris (although still too sweet of course).
The salad was excellent, and the Honey Mustard dressing excellent, and not sweet. It was a welcome departure from the over-sugary stuff they serve in Polaris.

Was my first Premium Plus experience, and I was quite impressed. Service was good too.

(Apologies for poor image quality...)

st530 and dilanesp like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Thanks for this. There are so few reports on the Premium Economy food so it's very useful.
dcsnowwake, narvik and Zeeb like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The food offering on PP is actually pretty impressive. Enjoy it while it lasts
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
If I am a PP passenger, I would feel good that PP meals are closer to what have been offered in Polaris.
If I am a Polaris passenger, I'd be disappointed there is not significant difference between the two offerings.

The Mac Cheese seems to be exactly the same for Polaris and PP.
AeRoSpaceman and seat38a like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
If I am a PP passenger, I would feel good that PP meals are closer to what have been offered in Polaris.
If I am a Polaris passenger, I'd be disappointed there is not significant difference between the two offerings.

The PP meals are route dependent. I do not think that the PP meals are closer than Polaris meals. They are closer to economy meals than Polaris meals. The attached pictures are for IAD-NRT.

restlessinRNO and narvik like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
At this point, other than the bread and the wine offerings, PP looks exactly like Polaris which is pretty sad for Polairs.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
The PP meals are route dependent. I do not think that the PP meals are closer than Polaris meals. They are closer to economy meals than Polaris meals. The attached pictures are for IAD-NRT.
Having flown in the J cabin many many times over many different oceans, and I can say that those meals are not too far off the Polaris meals. The breakfast, in fact, looks almost identical. The salad looks identical. The mains look "less fancy", and there is more "you have to undo the packaging yourself" in PE, but it's much much further from Y than J.

True, there is no cold meat appetizer, and the bread is Y all the way, but other than that?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:38 am

They actually look better than meals I've had in transcontinental First IAD/SFO.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by ryman554
...and there is more "you have to undo the packaging yourself" in PE....
Thanks for reminding me, because I forgot to mention this in the OP; the FA removed the wrappers (alu foil for hot dish and plastic cover for salad) before serving the tray.
^
I had read about them being left on, so was quite surprised that they were removed.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: UA
Some PP things look identical to what is in domestic F (like the macaroni pie)
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The pre-plated meals in Polaris makes for such a sloppy presentation that the two classes look almost the same. The only real difference is portion size.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ryman554
Having flown in the J cabin many many times over many different oceans, and I can say that those meals are not too far off the Polaris meals. The breakfast, in fact, looks almost identical. The salad looks identical. The mains look "less fancy", and there is more "you have to undo the packaging yourself" in PE, but it's much much further from Y than J.

True, there is no cold meat appetizer, and the bread is Y all the way, but other than that?
Yeah, the main difference is that the crew doesn't seem to unpack all the food after cooking.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Premium Economy often costs more per mile than domestic first, the seats are similar and there are no free upgrades so the meals should be just as good if not better.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

This comment makes zero sense to me.

I want a good meal. Whatever anyone else is eating doesn't affect whether my meal is good.
Lifetimenotelite likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
LHR - SFO

The mushroom-stuffed chicken was delicious!

narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.