$999 to seat in PMUA GF seat? (glitch?)

Old Jan 18, 20, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, Marriott Titanium
$999 to seat in PMUA GF seat? (glitch?)

Friend booked P fare on a PMUA 772, noticed he can select GF seats by paying $999, is this new? I believe there is a great chance the plane will switch to Polaris, what will happen if he paid $999 and found no GF seats?

Last edited by gokeeper; Jan 18, 20 at 11:14 pm
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
You are purchasing cash upgrade to business, if the aircraft changes, you would get a business class ticket. You could ask for a full refund if there was a change but the old pmUAis sold as 2-class aircraft with business and economy.

There are only a handful of the older configuration still flying and if this is more than a couple of months out, very unlikely it will stick.
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
You are purchasing cash upgrade to business, if the aircraft changes, you would get a business class ticket. You could ask for a full refund if there was a change but the old pmUAis sold as 2-class aircraft with business and economy.

There are only a handful of the older configuration still flying and if this is more than a couple of months out, very unlikely it will stick.
But he purchased P fare?
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by gokeeper View Post
But he purchased P fare?
Ohh. Missed that.

Do the other business seats have "cost" -- Row 6?

Appears something is regressing?

What status is your friend?
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Ohh. Missed that.

Nothing for standard business seats, he is MP Silver.
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA
I just noticed the same thing for my flight tuesday. Booked in J, the flight status refreshed with a polarized 772 so hopefully it will stick
Old Jan 19, 20, 12:16 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Silver
Anybody know the routes of these birds? Or is it sporadic?
Old Jan 19, 20, 2:21 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
While I've never flown in one, reports on FT are that they are most commonly seen on ORD-PEK/NRT. Maybe ORD-PVG/HKG. My presumption is they want to be able to sell the additional seats in the Polaris version without the risk of overselling. The best way to do this is to attempt to keep the fleets on dedicated routes.
Old Jan 19, 20, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
While I've never flown in one, reports on FT are that they are most commonly seen on ORD-PEK/NRT. Maybe ORD-PVG/HKG.
This configuration still occasionally shows up on ORD-FRA as well.
Old Jan 19, 20, 2:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
I thought the reason they stopped selling GF was because during the conversion to Polaris, they couldn't predict which plane would end up actually flying; a converted one or a an old one.
So they announced that these GF seats were selectable for free by J pax with GS or 1K status (then only GS, etc.)

To now suddenly charge $1000 for GF seat selection with only a few non-converted planes left seems rather bizarre.

(Are GS still able to select them for free?)
seanp7 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 3:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I have a PEK-ORD itinerary as well, that I was thinking about upgrading. Does anyone know when these planes will be subbed out to a newer addition. Theyíre really showing their age. Iíve flown one in November and wasnít pleased at all
Old Jan 19, 20, 4:57 am

I honestly could not see spending a grand just to upgrade from biz to GF.

During my GS days I burned a couple GPUs to do it but the service just isnít worth it to spend more money IMO
Old Jan 19, 20, 5:02 am

Ohh. Missed that.

This looks like UA's version of Animal Farm. First, they tell us there's no F any longer and, therefore, what used to be F and C are now all the same. It's just that now, apparently, some seats are more equal than others. George Orwell would love this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lifetimenotelite View Post
During my GS days I burned a couple GPUs to do it but the service just isn’t worth it to spend more money IMO
Well, at least back in those days you got a soup which Business class didn't get!
NoLaGent and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
I thought the reason they stopped selling GF was because during the conversion to Polaris, they couldn't predict which plane would end up actually flying; a converted one or a an old one.
So they announced that these GF seats were selectable for free by J pax with GS or 1K status (then only GS, etc.)

To now suddenly charge $1000 for GF seat selection with only a few non-converted planes left seems rather bizarre.

(Are GS still able to select them for free?)
I had a configuration like this on a flight to FRA a few months back. Was able to select 2A for no charge, but equipment was swapped on the day and I ended up in a new Polaris seat 3A. Shame, I rather liked those old F seats.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: