Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United Use Hardstands (at international airports)More than Other Major Carriers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does United Use Hardstands (at international airports)More than Other Major Carriers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, Southwest Companion, Marriott Platinum Premier, National Executive
Was on UA952 ORD->MUC today and was the first in probably over a dozen arrivals to be bussed in

However, i will 100% take a hardstand in FRA instead of arriving in pillar C (Happened only once). Not only do you have to take the sky train, you also need to reclear security
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
This isn’t a UA only issue. NH uses remote stands all the time at NRT/HND.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
I get hard stand at schipol about 50% of the time on UA. This is a function of the airport
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Imstevek
This isn’t a UA only issue. NH uses remote stands all the time at NRT/HND.
Yeah and they pack the buses like the Tokyo metro. Fun times.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
The only time I flew into a hard stand at FRA was the IAD flight. All my flights from IAH always went to a jet bridge at the terminal. Don't know why the IAD was so lucky...
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by ErgoTraveler
The only time I flew into a hard stand at FRA was the IAD flight. All my flights from IAH always went to a jet bridge at the terminal. Don't know why the IAD was so lucky...
The cynic in me wonders if flights to/from IAD get lower priority than EWR/IAH/SFO in the eyes of UA airport ops when assigning gate space at foreign airports, as it did in the eyes of whoever prioritized Polaris Lounge construction. Though I’m probably wrong, it seems like UA takes Dulles for granted (figures government traffic is locked in?) and is determined not to make the investments to attract more premium traffic through the airport.

Anyway, today I flew UA 988 home. I was thrilled to see that the inbound arrived at A18, so I was confident I’d get a jet bridge. As I walked up to the boarding gate T-30 from departure, an anxious agent urged me to head quickly down the stairs onto the bus. Then we were off to my old stomping ground, V129.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:04 pm

The cynic in me wonders if flights to/from IAD get lower priority than EWR/IAH/SFO in the eyes of UA airport ops when assigning gate space at foreign airports
A lot of times, it's not up to United. The airport assigns gates. A more fair comparison is LHR, which I've never had a remote stand on UA.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by ezefllying
Anyway, today I flew UA 988 home. I was thrilled to see that the inbound arrived at A18, so I was confident I’d get a jet bridge. As I walked up to the boarding gate T-30 from departure, an anxious agent urged me to head quickly down the stairs onto the bus. Then we were off to my old stomping ground, V129.
I think it has to do with the fact that there is a 4-5h turnaround time between the inbound and outbound flights to IAD and that logistically, it's easier to just park and service the aircraft at a hardstand than to park and tow. Yesterday's flight arrived from ORD at 530AM and departed at 11AM for IAD, and today's flight arrives from IAD at 7AM and will depart at 11AM.

Compare it to EWR 781 which arrives at 9AM and departs at 1120AM (around 2.5h turnaround time) or IAH 772 which arrives at 1150AM and departs at 150PM (2h turnaround time).
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
Seems many hardstands are driven by airport capacity and long turnarounds for the airplane, I had two hardstands last month in LIS, but survived FRA just fine. When choosing flights, what options do we have to minimize hardstands? I see we can track tail numbers in FlightAware premium. Then maybe we can determine historic turnaround for a given flight/gate?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Remote stands in BCN and FRA (generally IAD only, once in a while ORD) are very annoying.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
For an airport like FRA, it's almost entirely dependent on turn times. Historically, UA TATL schedules to/from IAD had long turns at the European station, with early AM arrivals turning to early PM departures to arrive ~3pm. OTOH, UA ORD schedules, as well as historic CO flights, had short turns in the EU. CO westbound departures were typically mid-morning. The longer turns, especially at FRA, straddle a few LH banks where contact gates are preferred for other departures.

Now, with so many more US gateways, UA can mix-and-match inbound cities with outbounds, so it's not always the case that airplanes will turn right back to their respective points of origin. In a few instances, longer turns have been reduced by turning aircraft to different destinations in a W pattern. As a general rule of thumb, though, longer turn at the outstation = higher chance of hardstand. There are plenty of counterexamples but that's as close as you can come to any sort of expectation.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This thread is fascinating - I've never had a hardstand on UA in nearly 30 years of flying all over. Long may that continue :-)
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
For all the bad mouthing people do to 3rd world airports, at least they don't shove you into that many hardstands as the Western European ones. Let me share my recent experience with a hard stand in FRA.
Never not had a hardstand at WUH... (That may have changed with the new terminals though.)

Oddest story I had was LH at BSL. Arrived at a real gate (no jetbridge though), get out the aircraft... and we have to get on a bus? Bus drives us about 50m to another door, we disembark, go inside to the baggage hall. I have no idea why they didn't let us into the terminal directly...
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by televisor
Oddest story I had was LH at BSL. Arrived at a real gate (no jetbridge though), get out the aircraft... and we have to get on a bus? Bus drives us about 50m to another door, we disembark, go inside to the baggage hall. I have no idea why they didn't let us into the terminal directly...
Maybe that door was in France, and LH wanted to deliver you to Switzerland.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cricketer
This thread is fascinating - I've never had a hardstand on UA in nearly 30 years of flying all over. Long may that continue :-)
I don't know what to say. Just a few hours after writing this, I got on a bus to an extremely remote hardstand (out where all the Jet Airways planes have been parked) to board UA 83 in DEL (and a few hours after that, I'm in a mediocre DEL hotel along with some folks who are on their second unexpected hotel night, but that's another story....).

narvik, DELee and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.