FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Paying for E+ Window & getting a wall :mad: (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005033-paying-e-window-getting-wall-mad.html)

Mary2e Jan 18, 2020 12:51 pm

Paying for E+ Window & getting a wall :mad:

We wanted to ensure E+ on our way home yesterday, so rather than try to get it for free at T-24 we paid for the only 2 seats together on the flight about a week in advance. We were in row 11 on the 737-900. We did snag that same row for free on the outbound.

Well, that row doesn't have a window. I didn't mind because it was free, but on the return, we did pay $74 for it. They all have a sliding scale for E+ and the window is the most expensive. My middle seat was $57.

I'm thinking of complaining to UA. While I would expect to pay for E+, I certainly didn't expect to pay the window premium and get a wall instead.

What are your thoughts? Anyone else run into this?

HNLbasedFlyer Jan 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Seriously?

Anyway - you are paying a premium to not be in a middle seat, not for the window (or wall)

WineCountryUA Jan 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Many aircraft have "window" seats without a window -- one of the few values of checking www.seatguru.com

E+ fee is for extra leg space and non-middle seats can be more expensive.

Did UA explicitly state there was a window?

Mary2e Jan 18, 2020 12:56 pm

Yes, seriously. The window & aisles are priced higher and differently than the middle.

I know it's only a few dollars, but it's the principle of the matter.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31966522)
Many aircraft have "window" seats without a window -- one of the few values of checking www.seatguru.com

E+ fee is for extra leg space and non-middle seats can be more expensive.

I know... I've been at that wall more than once and do check seat guru. I really didn't have a choice this time since they were the only 2 seats together and we had a dog with us.

Yes, the seat map, when selecting the seat, said window.

ETA: I was incorrect. All it says is that it's an E+ seat with no mention of a window. So I'm incorrect about that. Sorry.

WineCountryUA Jan 18, 2020 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 31966525)
Yes, seriously. The window & aisles are priced higher and differently than the middle.
ETA: I was incorrect. All it says is that it's an E+ seat with no mention of a window. So I'm incorrect about that. Sorry.

Yep, no mention there is a window and as earlier mentioned, the premium is for non-middle.

Understand you may have had an expectation of a window but in many aircraft, there are a row or two without windows. Appears you were aware of the risk.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jan 18, 2020 1:57 pm

All that’s promised with E+ is extra legroom. The rest is unfortunately on the traveler to figure out. Some day, maybe a cursor over a seat will yield all pertinent info on seat:
1) pitch
2) window situation
3) bulkhead/non-bulkhead
4) tray location (seatback vs armrest storage)
5) underseat storage (some bulkheads have storage, some don’t)
6) power
7) recline (some F seats recline less than others in same cabin)
8) etc

One can always dream...

HNLbasedFlyer Jan 18, 2020 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 31966719)
All that’s promised with E+ is extra legroom. The rest is unfortunately on the traveler to figure out. Some day, maybe day cursor over a seat seat will yield all pertinent info on seat:
1) pitch
2) window situation
3) bulkhead/non-bulkhead
4) tray location (seatback vs armrest storage)
5) underseat storage (some bulkheads have storage, some don’t)
6) power
7) recline (some F seats recline less than others in same cabin)
8) etc

One can always dream...

Not going to happen on a seat by seat basis.

Equipment changes all the time.

Hawkeyefan Jan 18, 2020 2:11 pm

Id say the OP "hit the wall"

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jan 18, 2020 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 31966750)
Not going to happen on a seat by seat basis.

Equipment changes all the time.

Yes, but the seat descriptor functionality goes with the a/c, not the flight. If a 787 is swapped out for a 777, the correct descriptors would show up allowing passenger to see what their newly assigned seat is like and allows them to switch, if desired.

Mary2e Jan 18, 2020 2:32 pm

It is the principle of the matter. Nor am I going to complain. I'm aware of their rules and regulations and would not complain for a change fee or equipment swap resulting in different seats.

lhrsfo Jan 18, 2020 2:40 pm

UA happily describes it as a window seat and then sells it but with lots of small print disclaimers. It’s not unreasonable for people to expect a window in a window sear.

WineCountryUA Jan 18, 2020 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 31966853)
UA happily describes it as a window seat ....

Where in the E+ purchase process does it make that claim?

Mary2e Jan 18, 2020 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 31966853)
UA happily describes it as a window seat and then sells it but with lots of small print disclaimers. It’s not unreasonable for people to expect a window in a window sear.

I did a dummy booked right before I posted that I was wrong about the window seat description. They only show it as extra legroom and various prices depending upon location. In some cases, even the window and aisles have a different price, with the middle being lower.

FlyDeltaConnection Jan 18, 2020 6:20 pm

Another reason the 737 is an inferior aircraft.

mctaste Jan 18, 2020 8:01 pm

Of course the middle seat is the cheapest?