Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DCA-EWR Shuttle to Start Mar. 29 with CR5 and E175!

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 17, 20, 7:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
News Release Issued: January 17, 2020 (12:00am EST)

First of Its Kind Jet to Shuttle Travelers Between the Beltway and the Big Apple
13 daily flights between Washington's Reagan National and Newark Liberty mostly aboard the world's only two-cabin 50-seat regional aircraft - the Bombardier CRJ-550 starting March 29
New jet offers first class seating, Wi-Fi, more leg room and enough space for every customer's roller bag
Photos(1)

WASHINGTON, Jan. 17, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced a new hourly shuttle service between Washington's Reagan National Airport and New York/Newark Liberty International Airport. United will operate the world's only two-cabin 50-seat regional aircraft the Bombardier CRJ-550 on most flights. The CRJ-550 is designed for business and leisure travelers who want true-first-class seating, Wi-Fi, more leg room and enough space for every customer to bring a roller bag on board.

With this new shuttle service, United will now offer more travel opportunities between these two cities than any other airline in the world. Tickets for the 13 daily flights between New York/Newark and Washington, D.C. will be available for purchase beginning January 18 and service starts on March 29.

"Our customers who regularly travel between Washington, D.C. and New York one of the busiest routes in the country have told us they value convenient flights and a comfortable ride above all else," said Sarah Murphy, United's senior vice president of United Express. "With our new shuttle service aboard the one-of-a-kind CRJ-550, United Airlines is the only carrier to deliver both."

The CRJ-550 is a first-of-its-kind jet boasting a wide variety of premium amenities, including:

• 10 seats in United First, 20 seats in Economy Plus, and 20 Economy seats
  • Space for every customer to bring a roller bag on board.
  • A self-serve refreshment center for United First customers featuring a wide assortment of snacks and beverages.
  • More overall legroom per seat than any other 50-seat aircraft flown by a U.S. airline.
  • The ability to stay connected while in flight with United Wi-Fi.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 17, 20, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Ambassador

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...8-eaii63jurvY8

United Airlines to enter New York-Washington shuttle fray
United Airlines is the new clocker between New York and Washington this spring, when it launches an hourly shuttle along the busy Northeast Corridor.

The Star Alliance carrier will offer departures on the hour, nearly every hour from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. between Newark Liberty (EWR) and Ronald Reagan Washington National (DCA) airports beginning March 29, United said Friday. The Bombardier CRJ550, a 50-seat regional jet with 10 first-class seats, will operate 10 flights, and the Embraer E175 the remaining three frequencies.
United’s new Newark-Washington shuttle schedule will not come without tradeoffs. The airline is sourcing the four slot pairs — one slot is needed for every takeoff or landing — necessary for the new flights by ending service between its former Cleveland (CLE) hub and Washington.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 20 at 2:53 pm Reason: Copyright issues -Do not post information protected by copyright or owned by another without the owner's consent.
Old Jan 17, 20, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Interesting that this article expressly states UA has to discontinue CLE-DCA to get those slots for the shuttle service, while the thread about the discontinuation links to an article where a UA spokesperson said he did not believe they were linked.
Old Jan 17, 20, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Natl Exec Elite
And the flights are still not loaded in the schedule.
Old Jan 17, 20, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The simple fact is that as DCA is slot-allocated, UA has to discontinue one rotation to & from somewhere in order to add a rotation to & from somewhere else or risk losing the slot to another carrier. LGA is also slot-controlled, so the same will be true for CLE-LGA.
Old Jan 17, 20, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay View Post
And the flights are still not loaded in the schedule.
Will be available for sale tomorrow morning
Old Jan 17, 20, 11:18 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott LTPP / Ambassador
Very cynical. Tired of paying $400 on the existing garbage.
coolbeans202 and RoyalFlush like this.
Old Jan 17, 20, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
I had to fly DCA-EWR-FLL/PBI a few times a month for years and don't for one minute miss or feel nostalgia for the almost guaranteed ramp holds for 15-90 minutes, or cancellations, and then running like a crazy person through EWR trying to make my connection before it left....or better yet, stopping by DCA at lunch hour to get my boarding pass (for my 5PM flight) and having the agents grab me and send me running to catch the 130PM flight to EWR so I would make my 730PM connection.

Anyone going point to point is probably much better off with the Acela.
Old Jan 18, 20, 9:23 am

Flights are up. Mostly CRJ 550 with some E170s on the dates I am looking at, but surprisingly no E175s with the larger F and E+ cabins. I look forward to trying it but will probably not be traveling at the times that get the most frequent delays (e.g. Friday at 5pm).
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:01 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Does anyone know if all of these flights will be going to Terminal C? Or will it continue to be the mix of A and C depending on the UAX carrier?
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:01 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
There must be a market for flying between DC and NYC, but my personal substantially delayed rate for these flights is something like 50 percent out of maybe 15 flights over the years, and that's even with the generous block times. And I'm sure we've all overheard the panicked people on the phone who realize they're going to miss their international connection at EWR or JFK because their DCA-NYC flight is totally shot. It's something I'd never voluntarily do again versus flying direct from IAD or connecting DCA to a more reliable hub.
Old Jan 18, 20, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat, HH gold
the prices are insane and anytime after 1pm, they will just cascade with delays. Wonder if they are doing this and waiting to swap out for the MAX next year at some point
Old Jan 18, 20, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Delays and cancellations and the congestion at EWR are out of control. Used to be my favorite airport.
Old Jan 18, 20, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by dcaiadflyer View Post
There must be a market for flying between DC and NYC, but my personal substantially delayed rate for these flights is something like 50 percent out of maybe 15 flights over the years, and that's even with the generous block times. And I'm sure we've all overheard the panicked people on the phone who realize they're going to miss their international connection at EWR or JFK because their DCA-NYC flight is totally shot. It's something I'd never voluntarily do again versus flying direct from IAD or connecting DCA to a more reliable hub.
Yeah, this recently happened to my boss connecting through EWR to HKG. DCA is among the shortest flights so they just hold it on the ground if there is any kind of ATC, weather, etc. issue at EWR.
Old Jan 18, 20, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay View Post
Yeah, this recently happened to my boss connecting through EWR to HKG. DCA is among the shortest flights so they just hold it on the ground if there is any kind of ATC, weather, etc. issue at EWR.
When I was doing this route, it became a mind-game that went as follows:

1. push back, start both engines, 90% chance of taking off on time - unless one engine was shut down while taxiing
2. push back, start one engine, 90% chance of 15-90 minute delay
3. no push back on time, crew mulling around, jetway left attached, 90% chance of 100+ minute delay
4. sitting in holding area with one engine on, or both off, and the FA received a call from the flight deck, 90% chance of departure within 15 min from the call

I don't miss going through this at all...it was just torture.
dcaiadflyer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 5:26 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
I don't get it. You can do AMTRAK from DC to EWR pretty easily. Yes the ride is longer but by the time you deal with the airport, ATC delays and TSA lines I don't see the savings. I used to do that trip a a lot when I was still working and found the train to be a much better option.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: