CLE-DCA/LGA Discontinued

Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Pre merger for many years UA maintained both ORD and CLE as hubs. The 1986 hub closure it moved the aircraft to start IAD hub. The CO UA merger killed CLE as a hub. UA picked up EWR. Remember CO can thank People Express for EWR hub.
UA had a good operation at CLE dating back to the 1960s. Service to Florida before ORD had it.
The bottom line is the delays and cancellations at EWR and ORD are excessive especially in weather events and they was not as extreme at CLE.
FlyingNone and FreqFlyerCLE like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
Originally Posted by nomad420
Perhaps I should have said "hubs" to your point. But yes more likely just wanting to add more flights/routes out of CLE. Allegiant Air was mentioned as wanting to possible expand service out of CLE. Never flying out of A concourse (almost always C) I didn't realize how dead it was. Sad situation for CLE all around I guess.
Not too long after United consolidated its gates at the far end of the C concourse, AA moved into C and the A concourse was left for the ULCC, charters and the iceland airlines when we had that for a few months. ULCCs in CLE serve many destinations but few flights. Some once per day, some only once a week. So the concourse is dead most of the time due to lack of frequency of flights.

There have been some other growth. WN has increased presence and frequency as has DL for some markets as well.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
CVG and CLE are apples and oranges.
If you're talking about CLE, at least one of the fruits in your metaphor should be a plum, please.
mrmoo likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by nomad420
Perhaps I should have said "hubs" to your point. But yes more likely just wanting to add more flights/routes out of CLE. Allegiant Air was mentioned as wanting to possible expand service out of CLE. Never flying out of A concourse (almost always C) I didn't realize how dead it was. Sad situation for CLE all around I guess.
I rarely walk down to Concourse A but it's hard to believe it's "dead". I see F9 planes parked remotely because they don't have enough gates for them all.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
I rarely walk down to Concourse A but it's hard to believe it's "dead". I see F9 planes parked remotely because they don't have enough gates for them all.
I think it really depends on time of day and day of the week. A few times when I've been early to the airport I've made the rounds around all three concourses for some extra steps and have seen very little (or no) activity some days and it very busy and chaotic others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.