Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NEVER got a CPU after 16 yrs of Gold, just got upgraded today flying on award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEVER got a CPU after 16 yrs of Gold, just got upgraded today flying on award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

I've been Premier gold for the last 9 years straight. Actually, 16 years total, but there was a gap of 2 years with no status because I was working overseas and didn't fly UA at all.

I have *NEVER* gotten a single CPU upgrade confirmed during all that time.

Strangely, I just saw my upcoming flight for this weekend. I thought I was hallucinating, so I logged off and logged back in again. Sure enough, I did get upgraded.

On the EWR-SFO leg, my upgrade cleared. I'm not really sure how or why... because I'm flying on a free UA award ticket.

Not that I'm complaining or anything. Just very bewildered and surprised and almost speechless.

Unfortunately, 2020 will also be the last year that I have any status with UA. Because of the new changes, I will no longer make it to Gold again.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
On the EWR-SFO leg, my upgrade cleared. I'm not really sure how or why... because I'm flying on a free UA award ticket.
You still haven’t gotten a CPU. EWR-SFO is not CPU-eligible.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Buzzkill.

Congrats, Vangrovsky!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

It's not the nonstop flight. I'm connecting at IAH.

I didn't want to pay 53,000 miles for a one-way award ticket on EWR-SFO nonstop.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Crazy story, something weird happened. I fly that regularly and I rarely get upgraded on that flight with an instrument in play and GS status! Go figure... Congratulation though!!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
It's not the nonstop flight. I'm connecting at IAH.

I didn't want to pay 53,000 miles for a one-way award ticket on EWR-SFO nonstop.
OK, fair enough. ^

If you have the Explorer or Club credit card, that would at least make you eligible for those CPUs, but those are difficult routes to clear even as a 1K. Perhaps just because it’s Saturday during a holiday weekend.

Anyway, enjoy.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
On holiday weekends, upgrades are much easier. Around Thanksgiving, I’ve even seen silvers get op-ups on EWR-SFO.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
On holiday weekends, upgrades are much easier. Around Thanksgiving, I’ve even seen silvers get op-ups on EWR-SFO.
I can fly on Thanksgiving guess I'll aim for that.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The funny thing is that I assumed you were right and that Vangrovsky mistakenly wrote CPU when the upgrade was actually supported by an instrument.

Since we can't talk about GPUs and RPUs, do we now speak of PPUs?
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iapetus
... Since we can't talk about GPUs and RPUs, do we now speak of PPUs?
You can express your suggestion here,
Ok ok, can we come up with an acronym for PlusPoints
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can express your suggestion here,
Ok ok, can we come up with an acronym for PlusPoints
Oh, I think that I'm going to steer clear of that debate to protect my sanity. But, thanks!

Even though it's not really my sense of humor, I think that PPU just sounds funny for very puerile reasons.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA
That's unfortunate, my first weekend of being premier silver a CPU from IAH to ORD cleared, but it was a redeye flight. I also routinely get those cleared flying from ORD to STL, but that's on the souped up CRJ550 so its not really a first class experience
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16 years without a CPU? I status matched to Gold last year and I got 3 CPUs out of 5 CPU-eligible flights (including CUN-SFO, which is a long flight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.