Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From 1K to Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SteveHK
Most of my DL travel has been J transatlantic and almost always on the old 767 product which I think is my least favorite premium cabin of any major carrier.
Yes that's a crappy product.

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you’re connecting anyway, why do you care where? As long as it’s in more-or-less the right direction, anyway.
Seriously. Hard to see choosing ORD or EWR over MSP or DTW based on ease of connection and likelihood of actually making your connection.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Funny; I'm the other way 'round on the motivations here. I actually would have more motivation to switch to DL (not gonna, though) because of the international routes. My most frequent TATL destination is FCO, which can be a pain to get to (I actually don't mind much) on *A, but would be easy on SkyTeam. OTOH, another frequent domestic destination for me is SAT; and I just don't think I want to have to fly through SLC to get there. (Like UA, DL has direct LAX-SAT flights, but none of them are very convenient.)
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
After getting stranded in ATL on both the outbound AND return of an international J ticket, there’s no way I would choose to connect on DL over a direct UA flight and even on a connecting itinerary, it would have to be significantly cheaper for me to choose it. Based on all the FT love for DL I expected it to be much better...
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Sounds like it is all about where you live or are based. I am actually thinking about leaving UA (1K Currently) and go to DL. But I also live/work at the only airport in the USA where all 4 major airlines Hub (LAX) and my go to airport for domestic being SNA. So, my coworkers are all mixed as we do not have a corporate contract and we travel to SYD, MEL, SIN, HKG, LHR, and big/main cities around the USA. Some of my coworkers are AA Explats, I definitely want to go to DL, at least as a Platinum from start once I switch my international travel to them. For domestic, I am still in love with WN due to the Companion Pass.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:54 pm

There seem to be many threads on this topic these days. As others have said, Delta honestly is pretty solid. Skymiles (which became bad a long time ago) still sucks, but this is a non-issue now that AA and UA have emulated it.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you’re connecting anyway, why do you care where? As long as it’s in more-or-less the right direction, anyway. I have a hard time trying to get some Caribbean destinations from AUS when UA only serves them from ORD or EWR...
because I live in NY, have tons of family in Chicago (and company HQ), and go to SFO frequently so those are my home bases. If I want to end a work trip to Chicago and go to Austin to visit my mom, I’m not going to go thru MSP for a marginally better club. Main point being, UA hubs tend much more to be in large, international cities.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:07 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
DL announced some time back that AUS was going to be a focus city for them. IIRC they were last in the 3 legacy carriers in and out of AUS so probably a smart move on their part. While I do like DLs soft product generally I haven't flown them much in recent years due to pricing and routing. Thankfully I still have some SkyPesos rotting away.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:10 pm

because I live in NY, have tons of family in Chicago (and company HQ), and go to SFO frequently so those are my home bases. If I want to end a work trip to Chicago and go to Austin to visit my mom, I’m not going to go thru MSP for a marginally better club. Main point being, UA hubs tend much more to be in large, international cities.
Yes, travel patterns are more important than airline quality, in my opinion, but if you live in a city that entails connection on almost every flight (I use JAX as my example), you might as well focus on getting good service from your airline.

I also want to point out that loyalty isn't nearly as important these days as it was 10 years ago. Don't be afraid to fly AA to HKG, even if you are married to DL or UA.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, but that’s a different question entirely. You’re not talking about connecting at all — you’re saying that UA does a better job of serving the cities that you want with nonstop flights; fine, that’s why UA’s hubs are where they are. But if you’re going to connect anyway, whether or not you’re connecting through an “international” city like Denver or a “regional” city like, uh, Atlanta, New York, or Los Angeles shouldn’t matter much to you. In fact, in a vacuum, I would much rather connect through DL’s DTW hub than UA’s ORD hub; I find it quite nice, it’s easier to navigate, and DTW operations tend to have fewer issues than ORD operations.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
Yes, travel patterns are more important than airline quality, in my opinion, but if you live in a city that entails connection on almost every flight (I use JAX as my example), you might as well focus on getting good service from your airline.

I also want to point out that loyalty isn't nearly as important these days as it was 10 years ago. Don't be afraid to fly AA to HKG, even if you are married to DL or UA.
+1
I have migrated to this philosophy as well over the years. Travel patterns for me are key to the airline I use. Hence, more recently am flying more with AS. Splitting my travel dollars has resulted in a decrease in status with basically both airlines in my case. I recently lost my GS status with UA by using AS for much of my Hawaii and West Coast travel but still use UA for international and some of the TCON travel but I can live with that. While I can't say the "loyality programs" are of no importance to me I do agree they are clearly less important to me now than say 10 years ago. Much of this has to do with devaluation in various forms in the programs (not just UAs but all).
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, MR TE, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kenn0223
I switched a few years ago from UA GS to DL Diamond for reliability reasons.
Are you still Diamond? Curious if you made 360 or not since then.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
+1
I have migrated to this philosophy as well over the years. Travel patterns for me are key to the airline I use. Hence, more recently am flying more with AS. Splitting my travel dollars has resulted in a decrease in status with basically both airlines in my case. I recently lost my GS status with UA by using AS for much of my Hawaii and West Coast travel but still use UA for international and some of the TCON travel but I can live with that. While I can't say the "loyality programs" are of no importance to me I do agree they are clearly less important to me now than say 10 years ago. Much of this has to do with devaluation in various forms in the programs (not just UAs but all).
I recently lost BA Gold, and haven't even thought about trying to get it back. While it's true that there are some nice OW lounges, those same airports also have restaurants and bars.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by pigzilla
Are you still Diamond? Curious if you made 360 or not since then.
Nope; the requirements for 360 are insane ($100k +) if you are in a hub city like MSP. I think the 360 program is substantially smaller than GS and it’s not nearly as well known.
pigzilla likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by txirish
But, in 2019 I had fewer international trips and only got to Gold. I never thought about switching while I was 1K but, if I'm going to consider it, this would be a good year. I expect my international travel to pick up this year and might have a run for elite status again.
I am likely misunderstanding this, but that sounds like you are Premier Gold now, but are trying to get to 1K for the sole purpose of then switching to DL?

Added: okay, maybe it's switching now as UA Gold to DL, but isn't the thread title wrong then?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Delta was a tolerable option out of Houston until DL abandoned their DFW hub in (I think) 1996.
Nope, it lasted through 2004. Although it was very RJ heavy at the end. Once flew DTW-DFW-OAK and back entirely on RJ's. That was an experience.

DLDFWhub

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.