Gate B19 in DEN?

Old Yesterday, 6:25 am
  #1  
mr8
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Posts: 740
Question Gate B19 in DEN?

What's so special about gate B19 in DEN that it gets a special gate sign?

Was passing through DEN the other day and noticed that B19 had a yellow sign:
mr8 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 6:32 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 1,980
Maybe where the Pittsburgh flights are?
RoyalFlush likes this.
hscottm is offline  
Old Yesterday, 7:28 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 793
This is the new style proposed for the gate expansion project, and I suppose this style will eventually replace the sings in the in the legacy concourse.

IIRC gate B19 has been closed for renovations while a jetbridge was added, so maybe they took the opportunity to upgrade (or demo) the sign ahead of the others?

wavid and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
mozilla is offline  
Old Yesterday, 8:00 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DTW/MBS/AZO
Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 3,026
I like seeing the city names from the walkway for where all the planes are going, I'd be sad (for a minute) to see them going.
BThumme is online now  
Old Yesterday, 8:10 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 674
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
I like seeing the city names from the walkway for where all the planes are going, I'd be sad (for a minute) to see them going.
I used to like that at ORD. One by one the signs stopped working and now I think they are no more.
cranky1K is offline  
Old Yesterday, 8:22 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,238
Originally Posted by cranky1K View Post
I used to like that at ORD. One by one the signs stopped working and now I think they are no more.
Iím amazed they still work at DEN after 25 years!
EWR764 is online now  
Old Yesterday, 8:28 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DEN
Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Posts: 2,555
Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
What's so special about gate B19 in DEN that it gets a special gate sign?

Was passing through DEN the other day and noticed that B19 had a yellow sign:
I reckon the ceiling has never been cleaned since the airport was opened to the public...UGH
TravellingMan is offline  
Old Yesterday, 8:57 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northern Colorado
Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 10,356
Originally Posted by TravellingMan View Post
I reckon the ceiling has never been cleaned since the airport was opened to the public...UGH
RIGHT???!!!!!!!!

There is more concern about putting ridiculous demonic Blue Horses with Satanic red eyes, banks of idiotic LED poles and a few advertising monitors (to take driver's eyes off the road and have been known to fail), remodel the terminal to create a monstrosity of a retail center on the 5th level and moving all of security to the north end of the terminal (have to love being a train commuter or guest of the Westin on the south end) instead of cleaning or standard maintenance of, say, sliding glass doors on the parking levels. This airport is run by the city of Denver and is falling apart because that's what the city does. Just look at the infrastructure of Denver and we can see a pattern here.
RobotDoctor is offline  
Old Yesterday, 9:28 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,409
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor View Post
RIGHT???!!!!!!!!

There is more concern about putting ridiculous demonic Blue Horses with Satanic red eyes, banks of idiotic LED poles and a few advertising monitors (to take driver's eyes off the road and have been known to fail), remodel the terminal to create a monstrosity of a retail center on the 5th level and moving all of security to the north end of the terminal (have to love being a train commuter or guest of the Westin on the south end) instead of cleaning or standard maintenance of, say, sliding glass doors on the parking levels. This airport is run by the city of Denver and is falling apart because that's what the city does. Just look at the infrastructure of Denver and we can see a pattern here.
You got all that right (although I don't hate Bluecifer). The bolded part really chaps my a$$ as I take the A line in almost 100% of the time, and my knee ain't getting any better.

I'm getting really tired of escalators/moving walkways being down as well.
RobotDoctor and Plane-is-home like this.
Bonehead is offline  
Old Yesterday, 9:58 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northern Colorado
Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 10,356
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
You got all that right (although I don't hate Bluecifer). The bolded part really chaps my a$$ as I take the A line in almost 100% of the time, and my knee ain't getting any better.

I'm getting really tired of escalators/moving walkways being down as well.
I really believe that Denver is a terrific airport and has been for quite some time. Of course there is a bit of controversy whether it should have been built in the first place or whether the old grounds of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal should have been developed, as it was approved for. Being that former Mayor Pena and his family owned all the land where DIA sits I suppose that was a foregone conclusion DIA would be built. Now if Denver would reinvest in repair and upkeep and stop hiring horrible baggage service companies like they do.
RoyalFlush likes this.
RobotDoctor is offline  
Old Yesterday, 10:25 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 3,653
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor View Post
I really believe that Denver is a terrific airport and has been for quite some time. Of course there is a bit of controversy whether it should have been built in the first place or whether the old grounds of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal should have been developed, as it was approved for. Being that former Mayor Pena and his family owned all the land where DIA sits I suppose that was a foregone conclusion DIA would be built. Now if Denver would reinvest in repair and upkeep and stop hiring horrible baggage service companies like they do.
I've never seen any actual evidence that Pena and his family owned the land. If you have a link to a factual story, I'd love to see it. There was definitely a lot of controversy around building DIA.
ajGoes likes this.
tods27 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 10:27 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: DEN
Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Posts: 607
The great hall expansion sure is a joke. FYI - Pena never owned any land out there, it was an urban legend much like the underground bunkers out there. Flew into A81 last night, I was stunned how much expansion there is on those crappy RJ gates. Was nice to walk back over the bridge again however. Overall, while the drive is still long, I think the airport is still pretty easy to get around in, can handle high traffic volumes and does not have all the delays that Stapleton used to have. I'll be interested in watching that airport and everything around it over the next 20 years.
DENflyer3 is online now  
Old Yesterday, 12:18 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: West Orange, NJ
Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Posts: 547
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor View Post
RIGHT???!!!!!!!!
There is more concern about putting ridiculous demonic Blue Horses with Satanic red eyes...
Bluecifer rocks.

Unless you're the sculptor, then, not so much.
AugustusM is offline  
Old Yesterday, 12:28 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 21,165
Originally Posted by tods27 View Post
I've never seen any actual evidence that Pena and his family owned the land. If you have a link to a factual story, I'd love to see it. There was definitely a lot of controversy around building DIA.
The stories I always heard was that it wasn't the Pena family who owned the land; it was Pena donors who owned substantial parts of that land.

Regarding the new sign, it appears there is a slot below the gate number to light up the city - hopefully as a 2020 HD LED screen instead of 1995 red-dot LEDs. Heck, that could be a panel ABOVE the gate number and the whole thing could light up, ala Las Vegas Terminal 3.

DenverBrian is online now  
Old Yesterday, 12:39 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver
Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott
Posts: 884
Originally Posted by DENflyer3 View Post
I think the airport is still pretty easy to get around in, can handle high traffic volumes and does not have all the delays that Stapleton used to have.
Pena blvd is becoming a major bottleneck now with its two lanes, and Denver people not knowing how to drive, they need to expand it one lane each. And the mess that is arrivals with the movement of all ride share, it makes traffic a nightmare down there even when it already was with, again, only two lanes.
safari ari is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: