FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   From 4th to 8th in 2 short years - WSJ Airline Rankings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2004484-4th-8th-2-short-years-wsj-airline-rankings.html)

BlueHenFlyer Jan 15, 2020 9:49 am

From 4th to 8th in 2 short years - WSJ Airline Rankings

Seems that the statistics bear out my experience. United is just getting worse: https://graphics.wsj.com/dynamic-ins...bd82ecc1e.json

Not quite sure how you can mess up so badly that you drop below Spirit, Allegiant and Frontier. Really takes some doing.

But hey, at least Oscar gets to watch "Rise of Skywalker"!

jsloan Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am

Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer (Post 31953741)
Not quite sure how you can mess up so badly that you drop below Spirit, Allegiant and Frontier. Really takes some doing.

It helps to use statistics that appear to be mostly based around what cities you have as hubs.

While some of these delays and cancellations are certainly UA's fault, a lot of them are the result of having hubs in ORD, IAH, SFO, and EWR.

HNLbasedFlyer Jan 15, 2020 9:55 am

Yawn. It is what it is when you are held captive by weather.

iapetus Jan 15, 2020 9:56 am

Hey, at least you won't get IDBd!!! :)

topman Jan 15, 2020 9:59 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 31953761)
Yawn. It is what it is when you are held captive by weather.

year round ?

narvik Jan 15, 2020 9:59 am

Originally Posted by iapetus (Post 31953768)
Hey, at least you won't get IDBd!!! :)

True, although -according to this list- Delta has them beat even in that category!
:rolleyes:

topman Jan 15, 2020 10:01 am

With Kirby moving to the helm its going to be 9 out of 9.

narvik Jan 15, 2020 10:02 am

Originally Posted by topman (Post 31953793)
With Kirby moving to the helm its going to be 9 out of 9.

Only if that saves a dollar.

HNLbasedFlyer Jan 15, 2020 10:07 am

Originally Posted by topman (Post 31953783)
year round ?

All the major UA hubs are susceptible to weather events all year round - a little less so with perhaps DEN even then, a major snow/lightening event can cause problems.

When the weather is good - the rankings rise. When the weather is bad, they fall. When there is no airport construction - they rise. Airport construction - they fall.

You can't fight air traffic control. In me experience, UA pushes hard to get flights out on time - there are multiple posts of people mad when planes not held for them on the push for on-time departures.

jsloan Jan 15, 2020 10:09 am

year round ?

Yes?

I mean, even if it were only part of the year -- and it's not -- those statistics still count. Airlines that have hubs in cities with better weather are going to have better on-time statistics. And on-time statistics appear to count for about half of the categories in this list.

Furthermore, ordinal rankings are nearly useless. For all we know, #1 - #8 are a virtual tie, with #9 being 500 points back. Or, #1 is way ahead, and #2-#9 are a virtual tie. There's no way to tell.

findark Jan 15, 2020 10:23 am

year round ?

Yes, SFO is foggy year round :D

narvik Jan 15, 2020 10:43 am

year round ?

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31953905)
Yes, SFO is foggy year round :D

...and precipitation at EWR year round.

iapetus Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31953788)
True, although -according to this list- Delta has them beat even in that category!
:rolleyes:

I respectfully disagree. jsloan's point in post #10 withstanding (;)), I would argue that United wins hands down even over Delta when you look at it from an opportunity-adjusted standpoint! :D

st3 Jan 15, 2020 10:45 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31953752)

While some of these delays and cancellations are certainly UA's fault, a lot of them are the result of having hubs in ORD, IAH, SFO, and EWR.

Yep, there was some similar posts a few months back and if you go look at the statistics from the government a lot of this has to do with the airports used as hubs.

mctaste Jan 15, 2020 11:52 am

I might weight 2 hour tarmac delays and mishandled baggage more heavily than WSJ appears to. Cancelling my flight sounds better than sitting in the plane on the tarmac for two hours while the flight attendants refuse to serve anything because we could take off at any time.