Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United removing contract (non-*A partner) Lounge access for Golds unless in Polaris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingrohit
Affected airports, select "Partner Lounges"

Many of us have premium credit cards that include Priority Pass. Here is a list of airports which have PP lounges that are not the same as UA contract lounges. For many it's not clear based on the UA website whether the PP lounge is the same as the UA contract lounge.

CPT (but have another option)
CTU? (have other options, not clear if the same lounge)
DUB (other lounges, but not after us pre-clearance)
BOM (GVK Lounge East Wing for Polaris Business Class only, Loyalty Lounge for Priority Pass cardholders)
NAP (have other lounges, not clear if the same lounge)
KIX (have other lounges including the TG lounge)
PPT (have other lounges, not clear if the same lounge)
OPO (have other lounges, not clear if the same lounge)
UIO (have other lounges, not clear if the same lounge)
FCO (Have other lounges)
SNN (have other lounges)

not
KEF

Print Wikipost

United removing contract (non-*A partner) Lounge access for Golds unless in Polaris?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mctaste
I would be fine with lounges being for passengers in business or first. Less crowded, possibly quieter.
I worry only UA is cutting this, and that for example SQ Gold will still get the invite. That is a devaluation unique to UA
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
So in addition to BOM and TLV, are they other airports with non *A contract lounges that limit access to UA business class customers only?
Per this page, a bunch of them. Airports like Naples, Manchester, Venice, etc etc
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
let me clarify and call it a full burger, or an enchilada. If this is true it is a major downgrade. What lounge can a *G access at BOM if not GVK? How about at TLV if not Dan Lounge? Several places only have 3rd party lounges.
True, but the Dan lounge is absolutely the worse lounge I have ever visited, hot, over crowded, servile staff, very poor F&B selection and shared M/F toilets.Just uggh. No love lost there, from me at least!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Per this page, a bunch of them. Airports like Naples, Manchester, Venice, etc etc
Cleanly stated up top,UA has shafted its Gold members traveling in Y. Looks like Dan TLV and SIN SATS have been preserved for Gold access. CTU, DEL, BOM and many others have been taken away. Losing GVK BOM really hurts, that Lounge is nice!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
You will now need to be flying in J to get that access. (That's in line with several other airlines across *A).
sorry, which carriers specifically are you referring to here? Serious here, because I haven’t found that.

ill use BOM as the example since I have some experience there - flown several * carriers ex-BOM as a gold (UA, LX, TK, SQ, and TG - might be missing another) always in economy, and always been given an invite to the GVK lounge.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

No, of course it isn't true.
Maybe a potential thread on people's reports on partner lounges revoking this/lounges that still do it? Anyways in either case, just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy

in Mumbai, for Business class Pax and Gold pax, we get this card for the lounge and this has always been the case:

Or if you are flying on a carrier that pays for the better west wing GVK lounge (as if the east wing GVK lounge isn't already nice enough), then you get this card:

Anyways I'll report back next week when i fly out of Mumbai if they are still sending UA elites people to the GVK east wing lounge or not.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... How about at TLV if not Dan Lounge? ....
TLV is maintaining partial *G access
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
sorry, which carriers specifically are you referring to here? Serious here, because I haven’t found that.

ill use BOM as the example since I have some experience there - flown several * carriers ex-BOM as a gold (UA, LX, TK, SQ, and TG - might be missing another) always in economy, and always been given an invite to the GVK lounge.
+1 to this! Now it depends. UA and TG have always sent me to the *inferior* east wing lounge whereas carriers who pay the premium (SQ,TK) have sent me to the West wing lounge. Either way, still have had a lounge in Mumbai to go to
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:24 pm

We need to find people flying Other *A out of BOM since Jan 1 to see if this is a UA only thing or *A wide devalue

i am betting it is a Kirby special. Smisek is smirking somewhere I bet too.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't flown out of BOM, so I can't comment on that one. I recall threads about *G passengers not having contract lounge access with both TG and SQ, IIRC. I'd have to find the threads again (I suspect they'll be resurrected). In one of the cases, I feel like the airline made a special exception.

Lounge crowding is a worldwide phenomenon. I suspect this to become more common moving forward.

I also wouldn't immediately ascribe 100% of the blame to UA. It's entirely possible that the contract lounges raised their rates significantly to try to reduce crowding.

I will say that it's a little ridiculous that we're finding out about it fifteen days after the policy took affect, though. UA should have notified people.
lsquare and narvik like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

I haven't flown out of BOM, so I can't comment on that one. I recall threads about *G passengers not having contract lounge access with both TG and SQ, IIRC. I'd have to find the threads again (I suspect they'll be resurrected). In one of the cases, I feel like the airline made a special exception.
Can't speak for other airports with 3rd party lounges, but I have flown both TG and SQ out of BOM in Y and J. All the Y flights I've always been given a lounge card and can't remember a time when I didn't get one.

Edit: Actually, can agree with what you said about SQ. Y class with SQ I was sent to the Loyalty lounge which is miles below the GVK Lounge and not good at all. But TG I was able to use GVK as Y passenger
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Can't speak for other airports with 3rd party lounges, but I have flown both TG and SQ out of BOM in Y and J. All the Y flights I've always been given a lounge card and can't remember a time when I didn't get one.
SQ website doesn’t have the devalue noted. At places like SGN I get a lounge invite card as a Gold in Y.

op thanks for alerting this. It is bad news...
Kacee, leoo and flyingrohit like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

SQ website doesn’t have the devalue noted. At places like SGN I get a lounge invite card as a Gold in Y.

op thanks for alerting this. It is bad news...
Actually, based on what I read, I don't think anything would change in this case. I think this negative change is only when flying UA out of an airport where it uses a partner lounge. So flying SQ would still warrant access to whatever lounge it uses at SGN.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I had no contract lounge access in MAD on Jan 1 flying in Y. I would have had access if I was in J, per the CSR.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just because DL already cheaps out on contract lounge access for its ST Elite Plus doesn't mean this is not a negative change by UA.
jsloan, uanj, rmannion and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.