Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Surviving UA1 (SFO-SIN) in economy to attend next day meeting questions

Old Jan 13, 20, 5:09 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Hello Experts,

I'm taking UA1 in the back of the bus soon for work to Singapore. I've traveled to Asia before, but always for leisure. I have about 24 hours on the ground before meetings start.

Some questions:
1. Approximately when are meal services? I think I should try to eat and sleep with SIN time right? (which may mean missing all the meals?)
2. Is the food edible or am I better of stocking up on a bunch of stuff at SFO?

Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:14 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by dtc View Post
Hello Experts,

I'm taking UA1 in the back of the bus soon for work to Singapore. I've traveled to Asia before, but always for leisure. I have about 24 hours on the ground before meetings start.

Some questions:
1. Approximately when are meal services? I think I should try to eat and sleep with SIN time right? (which may mean missing all the meals?)

Thanks.
1. 1 hour in, halfway, and 1.5 hours before landing.

2. I actually like the food, but most people don't, and while the quantities are sufficient for average eaters, people used to eating more will feel underfed. So definitely bring some food on board.
dtc likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Definitely have backup food.

What works for me - a short (emphasis on short) nap mid afternoon, the purpose being so I can stay awake until normal bedtime in SIN. I do everything I can to not be tempted to go to sleep before 9pm at the very earliest. For me, if I can stay up until normal bedtime, I can get a normal sleep all night.
dtc likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello Experts,

Some questions:

Thanks.
When I was in my 20s, I could have pulled this off, but now that I'm in my 40s, I would definitely arrive 48+ hours in advance of the meetings, even if flying J.
Markie and TommyD2 like this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:27 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Eat before you take the flight and after you land. Drink plenty of water before/during/after the flight. You will be fine within 24 hrs if you avoid sleeping mid-day or early evening in SIN. Stay up until it is normal bed time SIN time.

UA meals are forgettable. Especially the glob they serve prior to landing. Ugh!
dtc and RooseveltL like this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Iíve taken this flight a lot.

The food is awful. Iíd sign up for a special meal or grab a sandwich at NAPA before you board.

Sleeping is a good idea. I like to try and grab row 24 (A or L). It seems to be slow to fill up. If youíre lucky, youíll get three seats to yourself.

If you can sleep well on planes, you should be fine.
Old Jan 13, 20, 6:03 pm

I did it, arriving in SIN and then working right away.

Try to live as close to Singapore time as possible for a week to 10 days before departure. It's not completely possible but you can try. Singapore is 16 hours ahead but look at it a different way, 8 hours behind (plus one day).

So for a week, try to get up as late as possible in the morning. Is it possible for you to get up at 8 am Pacific time (midnight in Singapore) and rush to work? For some people, they have to get up at 6 am so that wouldn't work.

If you have the luxury of getting up at 10 am Pacific Time for a week, you will be getting up at 2 am in Singapore. With 3 hours of adjustment, you could get up at 5 am in Singapore when you arrive and stay there.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is my favorite flight TPAC flight. But I am lucky always to be up front. I'm not one who easily sleeps off my schedule. At home I can stay up until 3a but I'll still wake at 6.

I do connect in SIN to SGN, but I'd do the same routine in SIN. So this is what works for me & has for almost 3 decades.

However I have the luxury of not having to go out at night with others & of having my own apartment. So this plan allows me to do my work there & not completely adjust to local time. My return is much easier because of this.
  1. I do eat the departure & arrival meals but not the carbs, & I skip the mid-flight meal.
  2. I do have a adult beverage or 3. But I drink water as often as I can.
  3. I generally sleep 8~10 hours on this flight though not continuous.
  4. On arrival I stay up until about 17:00~18:00 SGN time. It's not so hard to do with light in my face.
  5. I awaken about 01:00~02:00, have coffee, eat breakfast, watch tv, whatever. I try not to work, that comes later. If I strain my brain then the day will be more difficult.
  6. I'm at the office about 08:30 & stay until about 16:00~17:00. I do not watch tv on return to my apartment.
  7. If I start to nod off at work I have about 1/2 cup of coffee & quickly nap in my chair. The coffee with wake me 20 min later.
  8. If I wake during my sleep time I pick up a book. Turning on tv sometimes keeps me up.
  9. Repeat 5 ~ 8 for the duration of my trip.
Frankly I know no one else who does this!
Old Jan 13, 20, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Try to pick a good seat and think about what you can easily bring that will help you to rest or sleep, such as eyeshades, earplugs, soothing music, something to read, comfortable clothes, etc. Put a sign on yourself saying that you do not want to be awakened for the midflight meal or breakfast, although if you're awake when the cart comes through, you might want to nibble a bit.

I'm afraid of sleeping pills or even melatonin, but I'll have a glass of wine and maybe use OTC benedril to avoid ear/sinus problems if I'm feeling congested when I fly.

I generally find that my jetlag is worst if I must frantically run around or work long hours to finish projects in the days before I travel. Being well rested before the flight is key IME.
JetBunny likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
take a nap in the afternoon the day before then stay up the night before doing laundry and packing.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 6:31 pm

This flight sucks and done too many times since they introduced it couple years back. Has the new crappy slimline seats on the 787.

Bring your own food onboard.

Theres no easy way itís just a grind.

Once I made Million Miler I started booking Premium Economy on other airlines and accept the connections. The economy service on UA Long haul is abysmal.
Old Jan 13, 20, 6:48 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan View Post
The food is awful. Iíd sign up for a special meal or grab a sandwich at NAPA before you board.
What special meal would you recommend?

I signed up my toddler for a Kosher meal on a UA HKG flight a few years back for funsies - but I kind of forgot what it was like...
Old Jan 13, 20, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What special meal would you recommend?

I signed up my toddler for a Kosher meal on a UA HKG flight a few years back for funsies - but I kind of forgot what it was like...
The Hindu meal is one of the few that I kind of like, myself.
dtc and riphamilton like this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
The Hindu meal is one of the few that I kind of like, myself.
Concur. You can order it as AVML (Asian Veg) and on United that means an Indian spiced main. Out of SFO and SIN it is usually pretty good. But I am okay with a no meat option. Others may not be.

Regardless, pack some bars or whatever.
dtc and wk989 like this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 7:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Try looking at United airlines partnership with timeshifter

Not necessarily for the app itself but for the tips on jetlag coping and the strategies others have used.

Also All about jet lag: Tips, tricks, discussion (consolidated) in TravelBuzz
dtc likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: