Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United removed my mobile boarding pass and ruined my trip

United removed my mobile boarding pass and ruined my trip

Old Jan 13, 20, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
Why would anyone travel without paper?
Unnecessary when there's a digital substitute, adds time to retrieve, environment. Boarding pass refreshes on the app if upgraded or seat assignments change, meaning you can avoid a gate agent interaction to swap out your paper BP. Those are just off the top of my head...

I do the iOS Wallet approach as described in the post above and have never had an issue, including in IRROPS. I have had the app BP vanish 2-3 times, I think, and the wallet BP saved me.
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
UA can’t delete those, but you could still have your phone run out of juice.
And you can still lose a paper boarding pass. I always laugh at these comments. What's the point? Your made-up scenario is somehow better than my made-up scenario? I can tell you my phone is A LOT less likely to run out of juice than I am to lose a piece of paper in my bag.
DenverBrian and seanp7 like this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:36 pm

So... they took up confirmed inventory space on two flights at the same time, with the hope that the OP would happen to get stuck in security, and be using a mobile boarding pass, and not be able to resolve it in time to make the plane, so that they could free up some extra seats... on a flight that departed with 9 empty seats, putting him instead on a flight that went out full? Bravo, United, you get craftier all the time!
So, where is the boarding pass for that first confirmed flight then?
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
Unnecessary when there's a digital substitute, adds time to retrieve, environment. Boarding pass refreshes on the app if upgraded or seat assignments change, meaning you can avoid a gate agent interaction to swap out your paper BP. Those are just off the top of my head...

I do the iOS Wallet approach as described in the post above and have never had an issue.
Yep, unnecessary right up until the point your electronic BP disappears in the app, you haven't thought of other options, and you need paper. Gotcha.
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
Yep, unnecessary right up until the point your electronic BP disappears in the app, you haven't thought of other options, and you need paper. Gotcha.
That's where the Apple Wallet BP comes in, besides you can get a new BP at a gate agent/kiosk and/or board your flight with your seat number (and explain what's happened). Gotcha back
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:42 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, VX Gold, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX View Post
And you can still lose a paper boarding pass. I always laugh at these comments. What's the point? Your made-up scenario is somehow better than my made-up scenario? I can tell you my phone is A LOT less likely to run out of juice than I am to lose a piece of paper in my bag.
I agree, less likely to loose it. But this is sort of beyond the point. United wants people to use electronic boarding passes. Why? Well, it saves them on the costs of printing tickets, and it also saves them time in handling upgrades and seat changes. You don't have to call everyone up to the gate to get a new boarding pass, you just push it through. The boarding pass also updates the gate and time of departure, which helps avoid confusion (and anger at United if someone misses a flight).

Lets just be clear that electronic is better for everyone.

The issue is not that everyone needs to print their boarding passes and staple them to their forehead so they are not lost. It is that United has a customer unfriendly practice which clearly is not a glitch. Due to limits to there systems, they are pulling boarding passes when they think you will miss your flight, but you are not at 10 min before departure. In the good old days, someone from UA would see this, and they might look at how there systems are working, and fix an issue that clearly has the potential to mess over a lot of people.

Alas, United will just continue to mess over people. That is the real issue...

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
The UA app displays mobile boarding passes. They don't have to be added to the wallet to be scanned.
Interesting, I always just assumed it had to be in wallet to work.

That's on you -- but by the time you manage your own changes, I'll be on my way to my destination thanks to the protection. I can give you a specific example: I missed an ORD-AUS flight the Sunday after Thanksgiving due to getting stuck in traffic (both on the way to drop off my rental car, and then between the rental car center and T1). I wasn't proactively rebooked (nor should I have been; there was no way for UA to know I'd be late). By the time I got through security -- no Premier security after 8 PM, apparently -- my flight had departed ten minutes earlier. I went to customer service, and I got put onto a 1:30 PM Monday flight.
I disagree, I can handle my reservation more effectively than the airline can in most cases. A number of years ago flying LHR-DFW via JFK on AA I arrived at JFK 2 hours late due to a late inbound. AA didn't think I would make it to the connection but failed to realize it was delayed for 30 minutes giving me enough time to clear Global Entry and TSA Pre and walk on as J was called. I was aware the connection was delayed long before AA was able to put that together and realize it would still be possible to make the transfer. I have never once been protected on a flight that I have actually ended up taking. Either the protection flights were crappy options, a downgrade of service, or simply not necessary but in my years of traveling have never found the protection option offered by the airline to be acceptable.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've probably lost a boarding pass once out of 1000+ segments -- and they can be reprinted. I keep them in my shirt pocket or in the upper front pocket of the backpack that I always carry.

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
So, where is the boarding pass for that first confirmed flight then?
Well, if OP had saved or printed it, he'd have one.

There's really no point in continuing this line of discussion. OP was not removed from the flight. OP had a valid reservation that was out of sync. You could argue that UA's app should display a boarding pass anyway, if only to allow somebody through security, but I promise that this isn't a scenario that anybody's really thought about. In general, when this happens, it gets sorted out at the counter or at the gate.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by bsh View Post

Clearly a backup boarding pass would have been good, and maybe OP (and others...) will do that from now on. But, as said above, isn't the point of the mobile boarding, in part, to not have to do that? Think trees, environment, cost savings... And whatever you think about that, it's splitting hairs to say that United didn't remove the boarding pass from the app, but instead "stopped displaying it" in the app because "it wasn't valid anymore" because the ticket was "out of sync". If the ticket was still valid (which it seems it was because it was not canceled, he was not offloaded, and was allegedly on original flight and protected on another, then there does not seem to be anything that would indicate that anything has gone wrong with the BP and it seems very reasonable to expect the BP will appear in the app. I'm not aware of anything that would alert someone to the issue of BPs being out of sync.
I recently had a related vanishing BP incident when I provisionally VDB'd on a seemingly oversold flight. Per usual, the GA reserved a seat on a later flight while I waited till boarding finished. In the end my original seat wasn't needed, but that BP had disappeared from my phone. After a brief panic at the scanner, a GA printed my original BP, with my original seat assignment intact. It was an unpleasant eye-opener - I now routinely take a screen shot of my BP if I don't grab a paper one at a kiosk. But I really hate paper passes - they are an inconvenient size, hard to slip in a pocket without mangling. Electronic BPs make airport life much easier...until they don't.
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

OP here. Just received a thoughtful, apologetic response from United (not):

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:38 AM <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Daniel,
I'm sorry that your boarding pass was deleted from your United App. When your flight was delayed United rebooked you on a later flight therefor deleting the original boarding pass.

We want to be your airline of choice. Feedback like yours helps us focus our attention where it's needed most. I appreciate you taking the time to share this with us.

We hope to provide you with a better experience on your next trip.

Regards,

Lani
Customer Care
Case ID: 157893705308688
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dval44 View Post
Unsurprisingly, not even UA's customer care rep understands what actually happened.
cmd320 and dval44 like this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
There is some probability that you will lose a paper BP. Let's call this A. There is some probability that your phone will die and not be able to reboot. Let's call this B. If we assume that A and B are independent (and there's no reason to believe that there's any connection between these two events), then P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B). Since all probabilities are numbers between 0 and 1, P(A and B) <= P(A) and P(A and B) <= P(B). If P(A) and P(B) are both not exactly equal to 0 and not exactly equal to 1, then the <= in both equations is <. Therefore, it's better to carry the paper BP with you because it cannot hurt.

Satisfied now? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundancy_(engineering)
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I often find that I cannot add my BP to my Apple Wallet. I've never figured out why. It's just that sometimes that option does not appear within the app.

Like many of us, I rely (too much so, apparently) on a digital BP. This thread has cautioned me to start printing BPs while on international itineraries. There are more than enough remedies while traveling domestically. For example, last week the TSA reader at BUR could not, for reasons that I don't get, scan my digital BP (subsequent scans of the same BP during boarding and at the lounge at SFO were fine), but it was a matter of minutes to run back to the kiosk, print the paper BP and get through security. But I can see many more ways that things could go wrong while outside of the US.

As far as calling United, jsloan, I think that that would have been the best way to go. But I can also see how that might not have occurred to someone during an adrenaline-infused haze on the battlefield.
dval44 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dval44 View Post

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:38 AM <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Daniel,
I'm sorry that your boarding pass was deleted from your United App. When your flight was delayed United rebooked you on a later flight therefor deleting the original boarding pass.

We want to be your airline of choice. Feedback like yours helps us focus our attention where it's needed most. I appreciate you taking the time to share this with us.

We hope to provide you with a better experience on your next trip.

Regards,

Lani
Customer Care
Case ID: 157893705308688
What were you expecting them to say - seems straight to the point. Said they were sorry. Explained the issue. Appreciated the feedback
Old Jan 13, 20, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
What were you expecting them to say - seems straight to the point. Said they were sorry. Explained the issue. Appreciated the feedback
"We deleted your boarding pass" is a fairly staggering admission. Not a fluke, not a glitch. It's just something they do - delete traveler's boarding passes while they are traveling before they board the airplane.

Some miles or a small token would have been nice. I never complain to United. I have never asked for anything.

But on the whole, you are right that at least they clearly understood what I said, and are ostensibly addressing it in some way. Better than the form letter responses.
chavala and strickerj like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: