Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United removed my mobile boarding pass and ruined my trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United removed my mobile boarding pass and ruined my trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by mozilla
The app did not do the wrong thing, it did what UA designed it to do, based on input from the passenger. If UA hadn't designed it this way, it wouldn't have happened. If the passenger didn't initiate a refresh cycle, or did use one of the options to save the BP to storage, this topic wouldn't have existed.
Consider computers aren't sentient yet, yes, it did what UA designed it to do?
I refuse to drink that kool aid. And to believe airlines are "enhancing" everything. They aren't, many (most) things they do aren't for the benefit of the customer. It is for their benefit.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:56 pm

this is standard procedure and nothing new. i always just have the bp emailed to me and it always works just fine as a backup, no need to print.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I obviously live on the edge because I've not printed a boarding pass for a domestic flight in years (nor ever thought of taking a screen shot). And I'm old.

Aside from all that, I think I'm more upset that UA did not toss an ETC for the trouble.

We get ETCs for spotty wi-fi, bad directv, or a light not working.

UA readily admitted they pulled his boarding pass at a time when he would have still made the flight. While a 2-hour delay waiting for the next flight might not be the end of the world, neither is spotty wi-fi or a seat not reclining.

This warranted some compensation.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
https://www.insider.com/paper-ticket...el-hack-2020-1
"I fly at least once a month and always insist on printing out my boarding pass. Here's why you should, too."

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 18, 2020 at 10:52 pm Reason: "Posts containing links should contain enough information so as to be contributive to FlyerTalk itself."
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:02 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by STS-134
https://www.insider.com/paper-ticket...el-hack-2020-1
"I fly at least once a month and always insist on printing out my boarding pass. Here's why you should, too."
I have a feeling this article came about from this thread here in FT. I read it earlier today and it just seems to be such a coincidence.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBrick
Over the last 9 years I have had 3 iPhones literally die.

One from unfortunately been dropped, smashing the screen and rendering the keyboard completely inoperable.

Two died by shutting down mid-use while fully charged and were never able to be resuscitated.

Yes, I always carry multiple chargers and a battery pack, and now a 2nd phone!

And yes I *always* make sure that I am carry a pepper BP, no matter where in the world my flight is.
You've been shockingly unlucky!

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Any machine can malfunction at any time. Locked up, service outage, you dropped it in the toilet, you forgot to charge up your backup battery.
And you could accidentally drop your paper boarding pass. If you want one as a back-up I suppose it's worth the effort to go to the machine to get a paper boarding pass every time you fly and keep track of which pocket you put it in. You're certainly free to do that.

Originally Posted by gmt4
Why would anyone travel without paper? If you checked your bags you were physically at a location (check in desk) where they hand you a piece of paper. Also if you didn't check bags, there are check-in kiosks EVERYONE walks by as they enter an airport on their way to security, regardless of what airport it is. Travelling international is all the more reason to carry paper.
I'm almost always traveling internationally and almost never checking a bag. I can count on zero hands the number of times I've needed a paper boarding pass in cases where one wasn't forced on me (because some airport in some country required it).

Originally Posted by STS-134
You act like a dead battery is the only thing that could put a phone out of commission. I've had some phones that literally just died. As in the screen went blank, or the system froze, and would never boot up again without a system board replacement.
Wow! Lots of people on this forum have lots of bad luck with multiple phones. Maybe you're holding them wrong!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2020 at 1:24 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kannai
..... If you want one as a back-up I suppose it's worth the effort to go to the machine to get a paper boarding pass every time you fly and keep track of which pocket you put it in. ......
How many pockets do you have???
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I obviously live on the edge because I've not printed a boarding pass for a domestic flight in years (nor ever thought of taking a screen shot). And I'm old.

Aside from all that, I think I'm more upset that UA did not toss an ETC for the trouble.

We get ETCs for spotty wi-fi, bad directv, or a light not working.

UA readily admitted they pulled his boarding pass at a time when he would have still made the flight. While a 2-hour delay waiting for the next flight might not be the end of the world, neither is spotty wi-fi or a seat not reclining.

This warranted some compensation.
I honestly found this strange, because as you mention, I've been compensated for weird stuff I didn't notice. My wife and I got $100 each a few weeks ago and literally could not figure out why. Finally she said that the wifi was out on our outbound. So yeah, I found it strange too.

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
I have a feeling this article came about from this thread here in FT. I read it earlier today and it just seems to be such a coincidence.
Royalties welcome
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 20, 2020 at 9:56 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mozilla
As I mentioned, the BP data in UA's app is not persistently stored in memory and is subject to a refresh cycle. When you close and re-open the BP view, or when you refresh the BP view, the app considers any previous BP data stale and will attempt to refresh the data. If it manages to contact UA, it will discard the old BP data from memory and replace it with the new information received from UA. If it can't contact UA, the old data remains in memory (or "cache") until the next attempt or until a defined amount of hours after the flight.

In this case, a refresh cycle was initiated, your phone was able to contact UA, it discarded the old BP data, and it received a reply indicating that you were not checked in. That, in contradiction to the title of this topic, UA didn't go in your phone and remove your BP is the point we're trying to get across. The removal of the old BP happened because you instructed the app to retrieve a new BP when you were unknowingly no longer checked in.

So the misunderstanding here is assuming that requesting the BP display in the UA app stores the BP permanently on your phone, where you can perpetually access it without limitations. It doesn't. There are, however, options available to save a BP to the persistent storage of your phone, "Add to Wallet" is one of them.

I agree with jsloan's remark that the app should not discard a BP from cache when it is able to contact UA but is not able to refresh the BP (see my comment in post 97).
Originally Posted by threeoh
The app did the wrong thing. My question is: who wrote the app? United, or the passenger?
Exactly. The app should not delete a BP without explicit user consent.

Why? For situations like this.

It is bad to delete data the user may depend on. The end.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:38 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Exactly. The app should not delete a BP without explicit user consent.
Ha - it is United's app - they can do whatever they want. Don't like it - don't use it. It isn't a requirement to fly. Plenty of people don't use it.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I screenshot my mobile boarding passes as soon as I get them. And it’s because I trust a stored static image over something that may be remotely updated or involve a glitchy airline app.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Ha - it is United's app - they can do whatever they want. Don't like it - don't use it. It isn't a requirement to fly. Plenty of people don't use it.
Then I guess they're also free to cause a self-destruct in their paper boarding passes.

Oh, you no longer have proof you were on this flight? Well then there's no IDB.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: united
That's wrong as a matter of law.

If Starbucks allows you to load your gift card onto your phone to pay for coffee, they aren't allowed to later delete it with no warning. United loading the BP onto the phone is an agreement to accept the cell phone as proof of the reservation. Deleting it without customer consent is a breach of that contract.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
That's wrong as a matter of law.

If Starbucks allows you to load your gift card onto your phone to pay for coffee, they aren't allowed to later delete it with no warning. United loading the BP onto the phone is an agreement to accept the cell phone as proof of the reservation. Deleting it without customer consent is a breach of that contract.
As mentioned many many times. Seeing an agent would have rectified this quickly. It was removed from the app - the passenger still held a reservation and a ticket. The passenger flew 1 hour 50 minutes later than the original flight.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: united
As mentioned many many times. Seeing an agent would have rectified this quickly. It was removed from the app - the passenger still held a reservation and a ticket. The passenger flew 1 hour 50 minutes later than the original flight.
Which doesn't mitigate the customer service failure of UA.

There's two arguments I don't like very much, but accept have a kernel of truth in them:

1. Passengers should have backups to their online boarding passes.

2. This passenger was only inconvenienced a little bit.

There's a third argument I vehemently dislike:

3. United did nothing wrong and was not at fault here.

No way. United was at fault and did something terrible. It made a customer think he or she had a valid boarding document and then took it away without notifying the customer, thereby stranding the person at a security checkpoint. That's terrible. Inexcusably bad. And not the customer's fault. Had UA been on the ball, none of this would have happened at all. And nobody forces an airline to have a cell phone app. If an airline decides to have one, THE AIRLINE is responsible for making sure the boarding passes work and get the customers through security. Nobody else. The airline. If United is incapable of doing this properly, then they should discontinue the app and make everyone carry a paper boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.