Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Awards Ticket, Can you go standby for an earlier partner flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UNITED 1K, THAI ROP GOLD, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Gold

I have a United Awards Ticket,

Flying ANA metal BKK - NRT @ 7.30am (NH806) and connecting to NRT- ORD on United Metal UA882. There is an earlier flight out of BKK - NRT leaving @ 00.30am (NH808) the same day.... Is it possible to go standby for that flight? Where there be any fees?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
For a United operated flight you can certainly ask to stand by for an earlier one. Fr a partner operated one you are subject to their rules. As your profile indicates you are a UA 1k, you are allowed free award changes and no close-in fees. So, you could call UA and ask them to change your flight - if the earlier flight is available as a UA award.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jan 12, 2020 at 10:10 am
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 2MM
In other words, you cannot just appear at the NH BKK counter for the 00.30 am flight and ask to stand-by for that flight. You must contact UA and ask to change your award ticket.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
In other words, you cannot just appear at the NH BKK counter for the 00.30 am flight and ask to stand-by for that flight. You must contact UA and ask to change your award ticket.
Well, one can ask ANA - but they are under no obligation to put the requesting passenger onto an earlier flight. There are very likely charges for doing s. A better approach would be to first call and ask UA to change the ticket.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Sometimes, the "awkward" flights (with weird and/or long connections) are the reason for being available.

Trying to change to a much more convenient connection/flight usually results in denial because of unavailability, IME.

Good luck, but don't get your hopes up!
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there's no chance ANA will let you do that for free.

As others said your best chance is to try making the change in advance with United, but that may also be a long shot.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Some more discussion here What's ANA's policy on domestic standby?

From my (limited) experience, ANA won’t let you switch without paying fare difference and change fee unless it’s an IRROPS situation. Call the 1K desk or visit UA customer service at the airport and see what they can do about changing your ticket.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by getagb
Some more discussion here What's ANA's policy on domestic standby?

From my (limited) experience, ANA won’t let you switch without paying fare difference and change fee unless it’s an IRROPS situation. Call the 1K desk or visit UA customer service at the airport and see what they can do about changing your ticket.
Sadly there is no UA customer service at BKK airport, as UA no longer flies to BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.