FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA82 - EWR-DEL, aircraft swap to plane with premium economy, access? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2003867-ua82-ewr-del-aircraft-swap-plane-premium-economy-access.html)

sparksfly Jan 11, 2020 6:24 pm

UA82 - EWR-DEL, aircraft swap to plane with premium economy, access?

I’m flying EWR-DEL in couple days. When I checked the seat ma today, I was moved to another economy plus than originally selected. Seat maps looks different from what is showed yesterday. Did a little research and the plane configuration appears to have 3 rows of premium plus class and it is allowing me to select a premium plus seat (i’m UA Gold).

from everything I read, my understanding is that premium plus requires a miles upgrade so i’m a little confused why it is letting me select that seat. Ultimately, the question I have is whether they will kick me to back of the plane.

Any thoughts?

freeagent Jan 11, 2020 6:40 pm

Not all routes actively sell premium plus as not all 777-200s are outfitted with premium plus. EWR-DEL is one of them, so the premium plus seats are assigned as just regular economy plus. There are no premium plus service enhancements on this flight as it’s not being sold as a flight with premium plus.

Personally I’d pick one of those seats over a regular E+ seat, unless it was only middle seats.

sparksfly Jan 11, 2020 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by freeagent (Post 31938741)
Not all routes actively sell premium plus as not all 777-200s are outfitted with premium plus. EWR-DEL is one of them, so the premium plus seats are assigned as just regular economy plus. There are no premium plus service enhancements on this flight as it’s not being sold as a flight with premium plus.

Thank you. Quick follow-up question. I understand that there are no service enhancements but it is still a better seat (more pitch, width and recline compared to regular E+), right?

ual744777sta Jan 11, 2020 6:45 pm

Yes. Unless there's any equipment changes it'll be a Premium Plus seat.

freeagent Jan 11, 2020 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by sparksfly (Post 31938755)
Thank you. Quick follow-up question. I understand that there are no service enhancements but it is still a better seat (more pitch, width and recline compared to regular E+), right?

Yes the seats are the same as a domestic first seat, with a leg rest. So wider, more leg room, and more recline. If a window or aisle is available I’d snag the seat without thinking twice. I might take a window or aisle E+ seat, over a middle Premium Plus though.

sparksfly Jan 11, 2020 6:56 pm

Thank you both. Very helpful.

paperwastage Jan 11, 2020 7:05 pm

see

(mostly talk about J seat,some mention about PE)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rocess-12.html

do keep an eye on seat assignment - cases where planes swap back and forth, and you get a E- middle

see this for which seats are good on a polaris 772
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ts-77j-21.html

sparksfly Jan 11, 2020 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 31938818)
see

(mostly talk about J seat,some mention about PE)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rocess-12.html

do keep an eye on seat assignment - cases where planes swap back and forth, and you get a E- middle

see this for which seats are good on a polaris 772
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ts-77j-21.html

thanks very much. I will be watching

spin88 Jan 11, 2020 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by freeagent (Post 31938776)
Yes the seats are the same as a domestic first seat, with a leg rest. So wider, more leg room, and more recline. If a window or aisle is available I’d snag the seat without thinking twice. I might take a window or aisle E+ seat, over a middle Premium Plus though.

The regular E+ seats on the 777 at 10x give you 19.4" of width with the aisles being 1" narrower than usual (they are 18" not the usual 19"). That seat is a full 2" narrower than the seat on the 777 at 9x. It is narrower than the seats on a 737 by slightly more than 1/2 inch in width. The Aisles in PE are (I think) the usual 19" wide, and the seats therefore give you 24" of width. (I am measuring actual space, not just the seat pan as UA does to try to game the system). Pitch is 38" vs 34" in E+.

Bottom line is that I would fly on a PE middle seat (it is just like flying on a window seat in F on a single aisle plane, just more leg room) but I am not going to fly on any 10x 777 in E+, seat is just too narrow.

And if you get the bulkhead PE seat, it is easy to get into and out of as no one is reclining into you.

usbusinesstraveller Jan 11, 2020 11:14 pm

I’ve had this situation on EWR-BOM on the 77W, before they started selling P+ (Feb last year). It’s a very nice seat with good recline and a proper leg rest at every seat (like DL; AA only has leg rests at the bulkhead). I took the bulkhead aisle in the center 4 and my seat mate in the middle could get out without disturbing me. So any bulkhead would do. I slept for a few hours with no problems. Much better than E+, which I had on a non-polarized 772 flying back from DEL (and E+ on a 10 across is worse).

It is economy service though and the food is slop, so take a few snacks for the ride.

sparksfly Jan 12, 2020 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by spin88 (Post 31939209)
And if you get the bulkhead PE seat, it is easy to get into and out of as no one is reclining into you.

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller (Post 31939209)
I took the bulkhead aisle in the center 4 and my seat mate in the middle could get out without disturbing me.

Thank you. No Aisle or window is available but I have 20E bulkhead seat selected. It sounds like it is still a better choice than E+. There are 8 Polaris seats still open so I may be able to get window or aisle if I catch an seat from upgrading pax in time. Thanks again.

cricketer Jan 12, 2020 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by sparksfly (Post 31941139)
Thank you. No Aisle or window is available but I have 20E bulkhead seat selected. It sounds like it is still a better choice than E+. There are 8 Polaris seats still open so I may be able to get window or aisle if I catch an seat from upgrading pax in time. Thanks again.

I'd say you're doing exactly the right thing. Keep watching, pretty decent odds you'll get a window or aisle open up, and I too would take that PP middle over an E+ window or aisle as the legroom is everything in my book.

sparksfly Jan 13, 2020 6:49 pm

Quick update. I managed to get an aisle seat. Writing this before take off.

I will post about service but the blanket and pillow are saks fifth and there is a Star Wars branded amenity kit as well as slippers. Not sure about food service but so far, it is very close to the premium plus product as UA is advertising.