Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Correct, that's not possible.
But if the OP books all on his wife's miles, all normal 1K benefits apply. The fees for changes are the only issue.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Super random question:

My company is chartering a bunch of flights with United for an event. We've been advised the normal procedures, mileage earning, OLCI, etc. all won't apply. If I know the flight number and date, and I call in, can I get advanced seat selection, or is it only available during in-person check in?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bioyuki
Super random question:

My company is chartering a bunch of flights with United for an event. We've been advised the normal procedures, mileage earning, OLCI, etc. all won't apply. If I know the flight number and date, and I call in, can I get advanced seat selection, or is it only available during in-person check in?
Are you buying the ticket? (Probably not)

This is really up to the people handling the charter (so you need to talk to the people on your end -- regular UA agents will not have access to the flight. There may not be a "reservation" in your name until the day of the flight.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Question about upgrade co-pay. I'm booked on IAD-FRA in about a week, in Premium Plus (R). When I go to the Upgrade option, it doesn't offer an option to just pay $$, but there's a miles option for 20k miles + $425 co-pay.

In the reservation, I have my Asiana FF number, and I'm *G with them. I have no status on UA, but I do have a UA MP Explorer card.

Is that as good as it'll get on the co-pay, or would I see a lower co-pay rate if I changed it to my UA MP number instead? There's no easy way to change the FF number online, so I figured I'd ask before I go through the hassle of trying change this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jfidler
Question about upgrade co-pay. I'm booked on IAD-FRA in about a week, in Premium Plus (R). When I go to the Upgrade option, it doesn't offer an option to just pay $$, but there's a miles option for 20k miles + $425 co-pay.

In the reservation, I have my Asiana FF number, and I'm *G with them. I have no status on UA, but I do have a UA MP Explorer card.

Is that as good as it'll get on the co-pay, or would I see a lower co-pay rate if I changed it to my UA MP number instead? ....
Just to be clear, those are UA miles for the 20K + $425 co-pay. So the miles will have to come from an UA account but there is no change in the costs if the passenger is crediting UA. And with time there will be no change in this cost.

Note UA elites do get the copay waived for certain CPU eligible flights but not this Polaris flight.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just to be clear, those are UA miles for the 20K + $425 co-pay. So the miles will have to come from an UA account but there is no change in the costs if the passenger is crediting UA. And with time there will be no change in this cost.

Note UA elites do get the copay waived for certain CPU eligible flights but not this Polaris flight.
Correct, UA miles. I tried a Star Alliance Upgrade award via Asiana, but the itinerary isn't eligible (I'm guessing because it's Premium Plus).

So seems like the $425 co-pay is typical in cases like this, and there's no way to get that lower. Thanks for the quick reply and information! It's the late 10:15pm departure so I might actually be tired enough to sleep on this flight, so the upgrade may be worth it to me in this case.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Hi all. Just wanted to see what happens when booked on a group reservation as a 1K. This reservation has more than 10 passengers on it. Do any of my benefits extend to others on the reservation?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by NoDestinations
Hi all. Just wanted to see what happens when booked on a group reservation as a 1K. This reservation has more than 10 passengers on it. Do any of my benefits extend to others on the reservation?
No
Group reservations are explicitly excluded.

Such as Bag fees
Travel companions of Premier members have the same exemptions as the Premier member whose status provides the benefit. This only applies if they’re traveling on the same reservation. Exemptions don’t apply to group reservations of 10 or more customers.
You will generally keep your personal benefits subject to the ticket's fare rules. And you can take a few (your immediate traveling companions) to Premier Security and Premier Boarding -- but not the whole group.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:21 pm

I have quite some Chase UR points that I wish to burn, but Chase Travel (Expedia?) doesn't seem to have the ability to specify booking class. If I buy a ticket from Chase Travel (which should be a 016 ticket) in say K class, can I call UA to buy up to a W class ticket? Will the buy up cost be the same as the price difference between what UA charges for W and what I paid for the K ticket?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
I have quite some Chase UR points that I wish to burn, but Chase Travel (Expedia?) doesn't seem to have the ability to specify booking class. If I buy a ticket from Chase Travel (which should be a 016 ticket) in say K class, can I call UA to buy up to a W class ticket? Will the buy up cost be the same as the price difference between what UA charges for W and what I paid for the K ticket?
UA may allow this; they may not. They may charge a fee to take the ticket over from the agency.

At one point, you could call Chase and get the ticket you wanted, but now that Expedia manages their travel, I don't know how doable that is.

I assume you're trying to use PlusPoints, but you don't want to spend the extra PlusPoints to upgrade from a sub-W fare?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA may allow this; they may not. They may charge a fee to take the ticket over from the agency.

At one point, you could call Chase and get the ticket you wanted, but now that Expedia manages their travel, I don't know how doable that is.

I assume you're trying to use PlusPoints, but you don't want to spend the extra PlusPoints to upgrade from a sub-W fare?
Yes exactly. The price difference between W and K is quite small to justify spending the extra PlusPoints.

Thanks for the answer - I was hoping perhaps someone on FT has already tried it. I'll just go ahead and book with Chase and ask UA to buy up. If they don't allow it or want to charge extra, I'll cancel the ticket within 24 hours.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:56 pm

I’m a UA 1K and have a flight booked in Premium Plus (R) in next 14 days. It’s connecting to an Economy (B) flight if that matters.

I applied for a PlusPoints upgrade at time of booking (30 points) and got waitlisted.

Current availability for the flight is showing as:

J9
JN9
P9
PN3
PZ0

Is it the PZ0 that I need to keep an eye on?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobBurke
I’m a UA 1K and have a flight booked in Premium Plus (R) in next 14 days. It’s connecting to an Economy (B) flight if that matters.

I applied for a PlusPoints upgrade at time of booking (30 points) and got waitlisted.

J9
JN9
P9
PN3
PZ0

Yes.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by RobBurke

J9
JN9
P9
PN3
PZ0

Yes, PZ for the R to Polaris segment, and take the upgrade request off the B segment now, it lowers your priority and with PN3 you can clear immediate on the B segment as an 1K --- you will need to call to remove the request and get the Instant Upgrade.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, PZ for the R to Polaris segment, and take the upgrade request off the B segment now, it lowers your priority and with PN3 you can clear immediate on the B segment as an 1K --- you will need to call to remove the request and get the Instant Upgrade.
(a) I agree; don’t waitlist the instrument
(b) OP should be searching segment-by-segment for upgrades. So if this is the longhaul, searched by itself, then the short-haul might not have PN space. But the long-haul might have PZ space, in this case, which is why you have to search segment-by-segment.

I assumed that OP did a single-segment search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.