FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Infant flew without being on ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2003732-infant-flew-without-being-ticket.html)

yuel Jan 10, 2020 5:01 pm

Infant flew without being on a ticket

We flew thanksgiving weekend with our 1 yr old and went threw security and he flew without him being on our ticket. Is that illegal?

WineCountryUA Jan 10, 2020 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by yuel (Post 31934897)
We flew thanksgiving weekend with our 1 yr old and went threw security and he flew without him being on our ticket. Is that illegal?

Domestic flights? -- no ticket needed (as a lap child under the age of 2)
and "TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling within the United States. "

skylane Jan 10, 2020 5:40 pm

Per United.com you're OK under the age of 2 without a ticket.

Infants under the age of 2 traveling without a seat within the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands do not require a ticket. Infants traveling internationally (including to Canada, Guam and Mexico) without a seat are required to have a purchased ticket and are subject to infant fares and taxes. When making your reservation, you should indicate that you are traveling with an infant, regardless of your destination.

Once infants turn 2, they are required to have a purchased ticket and occupy a seat. Infants who reach their second birthday after their outbound flight must have a purchased ticket and occupy a seat for their return flight(s).

yuel Jan 10, 2020 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31934989)
Domestic flights? -- no ticket needed (as a lap child under the age of 2)
and "TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling within the United States. "

Domestic, but child was not added too an adult ticket, so we can take any child threw security and fly without anyone caring we transport a child across state lines?
We have flown 100k with our child, but this was a first without being added to our ticket

PsiFighter37 Jan 10, 2020 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by yuel (Post 31935022)
Domestic, but child was not added too an adult ticket, so we can take any child threw security and fly without anyone caring we transport a child across state lines?
We have flown 100k with our child, but this was a first without being added to our ticket

...is the point to try and highlight that you may have done something that is not technically allowable? Really lost as to why this is a topic of discussion. :confused:

WineCountryUA Jan 10, 2020 5:59 pm

Domestic, but child was not added too an adult ticket, so we can take any child threw security and fly without anyone caring we transport a child across state lines? ....

yes, just as you can in a car, bus, train, walking, ....

Often1 Jan 10, 2020 6:01 pm

There is no such thing as "technically"

The child did not require a ticket to pass through the checkpoint and did not require a ticket to board the UA flight, presuming that it was a domestic flight.

Not sure what OP is trying to stir up here as it something which occurs thousands of time a day.

TJinSF Jan 10, 2020 6:04 pm

Forgive me, but is there some reason you shouldn't have been allowed to take this child wherever you took them? I mean no disrespect, but I'm not sure why else you'd make such a point of this. I wouldn't think of anything funny about taking my own child "across state lines," as if that was some sort of illicit act, by any mode of transportation.

HoyaSFOIAD Jan 10, 2020 6:08 pm

I actually didn’t know they didn’t need anything at all. We fly with our child all the time but always add her to the reservation as a lap child

kennycrudup Jan 10, 2020 6:19 pm

child threw security

(Way OT, but having seen this mspieleing twice now I can't help but chuckle at the imagery :))

emcampbe Jan 10, 2020 6:25 pm

I’m not sure why some are being so harsh on the OP, and I will side with them here.

I have two kids, one still young enough to fly as a lap child. While it is certainly true that there is no ticket needed for a lap infant flying on domestic flights, typically, they are added to the reservation, and get their own BP. I don’t know specifically if there is a UA policy requiring them to be added, but I would think they’d want to know and have that info in the manifest, especially as some aircraft have seating restrictions for flyers with a lap infant (for example, CRJ/7 require lap infants on the A/B side, and there are only 4 seats on the E45s where they can sit, both due to these being the only locations which have an extra oxygen mask). I’d think weight and balance could come into play as well (especially during the holiday season where you have many more lap infants traveling.

In addition, while TSA doesn’t require ID for anyone under, I think, 12, Id think, but don’t know for sure that they’d need some sort of doc to get through security. Like I said, UA has always printed BPs for lap infants when we travel.

yuel Jan 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31935048)
There is no such thing as "technically"

The child did not require a ticket to pass through the checkpoint and did not require a ticket to board the UA flight, presuming that it was a domestic flight.

Not sure what OP is trying to stir up here as it something which occurs thousands of time a day.

Obviously, you don’t fly with lap child or understand what is being asked, and I doesn’t matter if it’s domestic, smh

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 31935102)
(Way OT, but having seen this mspieleing twice now I can't help but chuckle at the imagery :))

Though, yeah I blame Steve Jobs on autocorrect

Originally Posted by TJinSF (Post 31935057)
Forgive me, but is there some reason you shouldn't have been allowed to take this child wherever you took them? I mean no disrespect, but I'm not sure why else you'd make such a point of this. I wouldn't think of anything funny about taking my own child "across state lines," as if that was some sort of illicit act, by any mode of transportation.

have your flown with a child under 2? Then you would understand? We have flown over 100k miles with my child, so a lot of experience, but this is a first

QBK Jan 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by yuel (Post 31935223)
have your flown with a child under 2? Then you would understand? We have flown over 100k miles with my child, so a lot of experience, but this is a first

Just to provide some perspective for you, I have flown about 60K miles with a child (mine) under 2. And I don't really understand. I think you are saying that you are surprised that either (1) you can fly with a lap child without a ticket, or (2) you can take your own child across state lines (on an airplane) without paperwork. As you've observed, both are possible. When I first took my baby on a flight, I researched these things a bit on the internet. So I wasn't surprised by them.

It's okay that you're surprised. Flyertalk is a good place to learn. But heckling other posters for not understanding why you're surprised is not very nice.

Also, in another post, you wrote "[it] doesn't matter if it's domestic." Actually, this matters a lot. International flights with lap infants almost always require (1) a ticket, and (2) paperwork, e.g. a passport for the infant.

VegasGambler Jan 10, 2020 7:15 pm

It's not UA's job or the TSA's job to stop you from kidnapping a child. That's the FBI's job.

HWGeeks Jan 10, 2020 7:20 pm

So what if you had to put them on an adult ticket. With out a DNA test how will the airline know the kids yours?