Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club Card - Not worth it. Or is it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA BIS Million Miler, AA Gold, Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Prez, Avis First

Today, after multiple years of membership, I cancelled my United Club Card. I took this action as I perceive that United's actions in 2019 and beyond devalued the points program to a point I cannot justify the ROI. Let us be honest, the clubs are nearly always full in SFO and Denver. And free drinks and creme soup and carrot sticks just isn't worth the price of admission any more. Yes the agents are a nice to have access to in a pinch, but not required IMO.

As a million miller + and regular traveler I am more than happy to sit in gate bar or whatever is convenient. The app is good enough now I can rebook nearly everything myself.

Oh, and increasing the route from Austin, TX to Sao Paulo, Brazil (via Houston) from 35,000 miles to just over 120,000 in economy was the real straw that broke my back with United. Really.

If you felt I made a mistake let me hear from you. I'd curious to know why I should retain a card with an annual fee of $350-550+ given United's action to devalue it.

Thanks!
ContinentalFan and AceReport like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: United 1K
I think about this often. My card's fee is $450 and because of the better points earnings I usually only use my Chase Sapphire Reserve - which has the same fee but a $300 travel credit and a Priority Pass that pays for itself at IAH. However, I travel through DEN often and with weather, lack of strong dining options or Priority Pass options I hold onto it for now.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For someone who is otherwise willing to pay $550 for a UC membership, the Club card remains a good value. I agree that it's debatable whether the UCs in many hubs, including particularly SFO and EWR, are worth the price of admission these days.

Putting any spend at all on this card was a poor value before the recent MP devaluation. It's an even worse call now.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I was just about to cancel mine a couple of months ago but decided not to when I called Chase and the agent took $100 off the annual fee for me to stay one more year.

I no longer use the card to charge anything, because the earning rates on Chase Sapphire and Amex cards are so much better. Plus, United Miles are crap now. I used to get 1.5-2 cents value out of them. Lately, I've had a hard time getting 1 cent.

BTW, if you cancel within a full billing cycle after the annual fee is charged, you still get the annual fee back. And then it takes them another month to end your UC membership. So you can probably eek out an extra free 2 months or so of membership.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The value of UA miles really shouldn't impact a decision to keep or cancel the Club card
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pmoran28
As a million miller + and regular traveler I am more than happy to sit in gate bar or whatever is convenient.
Depending on how often you fly and how much you drink, sitting in the nearest gate bar can get real expensive over time.

If the clubs didn't have free drinks - I'd rarely step inside.
Dublin_rfk and AceReport like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, and increasing the route from Austin, TX to Sao Paulo, Brazil (via Houston) from 35,000 miles to just over 120,000 in economy was the real straw that broke my back with United. Really.
They didn't, though. You're comparing apples and kumquats. The 30K saver level has been increasingly hard to find on any route, and that was true even before they went to fully dynamic pricing. The comparison that you should be making is between the 70K everyday level and the 120K that you're seeing now. Yes, it's a massive devaluation, but it's not really that new.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Lately, I've had a hard time getting 1 cent.
You should be able to get 1 cent per mile on United purchases on the card via the United Choices program. It's not a great value, but it should set an absolute floor on the value of miles earned through card purchases.

I agree with Kacee though. The value of the Club Card is entirely its discounted UC membership. If you don't find that valuable, you should cancel.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:36 pm

Today, after multiple years of membership, I cancelled my United Club Card. I took this action as I perceive that United's actions in 2019 and beyond devalued the points program to a point I cannot justify the ROI. Let us be honest, the clubs are nearly always full in SFO and Denver. And free drinks and creme soup and carrot sticks just isn't worth the price of admission any more. Yes the agents are a nice to have access to in a pinch, but not required IMO.

As a million miller + and regular traveler I am more than happy to sit in gate bar or whatever is convenient. The app is good enough now I can rebook nearly everything myself.

If you felt I made a mistake let me hear from you. I'd curious to know why I should retain a card with an annual fee of $350-550+ given United's action to devalue it.

Thanks!
I dropped my Club card yesterday after 6 years. No retention offer was made. I figure it's $450 I can spend elsewhere. In SFO I have the Centurion lounge which is far superior to the United Club and since you now have to have a UA BP the usefulness to me is diminished.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
My spouse has the Club card and said if we still lived near EWR she would have cancelled it by now given the sad lounge situation. She has actually had the card twice in its relatively short post-merger existence and got the first year free each time, so cancelling isn't such a bad idea if your credit is good. Worst case if you regret your decision you can always resubscribe and possibly, if enough time has elapsed, you'll be eligible for what ever new cardholder offer is out there.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
The value of UA miles really shouldn't impact a decision to keep or cancel the Club card
Yes ultimately the Club membership itself is the decisive one, and that will vary by personal situation

Until recently, miles and PQD waiver used to be a backup justification for me. All my general spend at 1.5miles and I got good value on redemptions. PQD waiver is kaput and miles are now a roulette wheel so that aspect is pretty much shot.

I am keeping my Select card at least one more year, will drop Club at renewal in April, and re-assess next year.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
They didn't, though. You're comparing apples and kumquats....
I think of United Clubs more as Durians -- prickly and smelly on the inside.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anyone paying $650 for a membership ought to be quite happy to pay $450 for a different piece of plastic which does the same thing. Even if they never charge $1 on the card.

Last edited by Often1; Jan 9, 2020 at 6:33 pm
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
I keep the Club Card because of its primary car rental insurance, Presidents Circle at Hertz and a really good travel insurance that it comes with. Not having to take LDW alone is worth more than the $450 a year. Travel insurance for my parents would cost thousands if we were to buy it separately due to their age.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I think of United Clubs more as Durians -- prickly and smelly on the inside.
Durians are more delicious than anything I've found in the United Club!
arshi007 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seat38a
I keep the Club Card because of its primary car rental insurance, Presidents Circle at Hertz and a really good travel insurance that it comes with. Not having to take LDW alone is worth more than the $450 a year. Travel insurance for my parents would cost thousands if we were to buy it separately due to their age.
You can get primary rental coverage and good travel insurance with Chase Sapphire Reserve too. Net $150 fee.

But not Hertz PC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.