Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Having trouble getting past flight credit

Old Jan 8, 20, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

I have two cancelled flights showing in my "bank" that I would like to use in the near future. Total of over $700 credit (minus fees, of course.)

I am currently trying to book flights using these credits. I clicked on the button labled "Use Future Flight Credit," which brings up a reservation page. I put in the dates and city pair, then get a message saying "No Flights Match Your Search Criteria." Really?? No flights between IAH and BNA? When I go to the regular reservation page there are many flights for that city pair on the dates I need, with plenty of seats.

With another city pair and a different date, I get this message: 

We are unable to process your request. Please see the message below for details.

• We were not able to find any available seats meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria, or call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada; elsewhere contact your local United Reservations Office.
What might be going on? Both flights I want to book are inside the one year limit.

Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 20, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kensterfly View Post
What might be going on?
You're putting too much faith in UA's website. Call. You shouldn't have any problems using the credit, assuming that the flights were fully cancelled and not partially flown. For partially-flown itineraries, the new flights you select have to be combinable with the ones you've already flown.
Often1 and sapman986 like this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
You're putting too much faith in UA's website. Call. You shouldn't have any problems using the credit, assuming that the flights were fully cancelled and not partially flown. For partially-flown itineraries, the new flights you select have to be combinable with the ones you've already flown.
I'll call. It's just that I'm a 'visual guy' and would like to see what I'm getting and not have to make a quick decision on the phone.
I also tried it on the Mobile app with the same result.

Thank you.

Last edited by Kensterfly; Jan 8, 20 at 6:48 pm
Old Jan 8, 20, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can do all the legwork first and then simply call it in. No need to make quick decisions. But, in any event, remember that you have 24 (actually more) hours to cancel penalty-free, so you don't have to worry about not being able to see what you've done.
Old Jan 8, 20, 7:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Another reason to call, even when the online "change" of a canceled flight works, the prices quoted can be higher than a direct booking.

AS others mention, figure out what you want, call and feed the agent the specific flights.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
You can do all the legwork first and then simply call it in. No need to make quick decisions. But, in any event, remember that you have 24 (actually more) hours to cancel penalty-free, so you don't have to worry about not being able to see what you've done.
I don't think that's actually true in this case. Stored flight credit that hasn't been converted to an ETC is left on an existing PNR, meaning that when you're using it on a new set of flights, you're actually completing a change (hence, the change fee, which must be paid in new money), and not a purchase. There is no 24-hour grace period for changes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I don't think that's actually true in this case. Stored flight credit that hasn't been converted to an ETC is left on an existing PNR, meaning that when you're using it on a new set of flights, you're actually completing a change (hence, the change fee, which must be paid in new money), and not a purchase. There is no 24-hour grace period for changes.
When used credit from a cancelled flight to book over the phone last week the agent specifically mentioned that there was no 24 hour free change/cancel window on the flight being booked.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 6, 21, 11:26 am

Programs: Continental Airlines, Delta Sky Miles, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton
Originally Posted by Kensterfly View Post
I have two cancelled flights showing in my "bank" that I would like to use in the near future. Total of over $700 credit (minus fees, of course.)

I am currently trying to book flights using these credits. I clicked on the button labled "Use Future Flight Credit," which brings up a reservation page. I put in the dates and city pair, then get a message saying "No Flights Match Your Search Criteria." Really?? No flights between IAH and BNA? When I go to the regular reservation page there are many flights for that city pair on the dates I need, with plenty of seats.

With another city pair and a different date, I get this message: 

We are unable to process your request. Please see the message below for details.

• We were not able to find any available seats meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria, or call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada; elsewhere contact your local United Reservations Office.
What might be going on? Both flights I want to book are inside the one year limit.

Thanks.
I'm having the exact same issue. Trying to book PHx to LIR or lax to LIR. I see the available flight on their website clear as day.
Old Jan 6, 21, 11:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Pnkgirl25 View Post
I'm having the exact same issue. Trying to book PHx to LIR or lax to LIR. I see the available flight on their website clear as day.
The online change flight tool is flaky -- look for a new flight with the regular new flight search and then call to make the change. This has been long true and calling is make the change is the best approach for multiple additional reasons.

There will be no fee for making this change, there may be a fare difference if more expensive. Depending on your present ticket you may or may not get a refund if the new fund is cheaper.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: