Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus seating briefly available for free for general member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:34 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

I was just assisting a friend with their upcoming SYD-LAX-IAD itinerary. They are a general member and had chosen standard economy seats a few weeks ago. I went into their itinerary to see which seats were selected and saw that for only the LAX-IAD segment, economy plus was available to choose for no additional cost. SYD-LAX still showed a fee if you hovered your mouse over the economy plus seats. I moved him to an economy plus seat for the LAX-IAD segment and successfully saved it. 10 minutes I went back to show him. He is still assigned the economy plus seat but now it shows a fee when you hover the mouse over the economy plus section.

Did he benefit from a brief glitch in the system or should I move him back to his original seat in anticipation United will figure it out and boot him back to a less desirable standard economy seat on travel day/24 hours before flight?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Did he benefit from a brief glitch in the system...
Yes. If no changes are made he should be able to keep the seat.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: united
I was just assisting a friend with their upcoming SYD-LAX-IAD itinerary. They are a general member and had chosen standard economy seats a few weeks ago. I went into their itinerary to see which seats were selected and saw that for only the LAX-IAD segment, economy plus was available to choose for no additional cost. SYD-LAX still showed a fee if you hovered your mouse over the economy plus seats. I moved him to an economy plus seat for the LAX-IAD segment and successfully saved it. 10 minutes I went back to show him. He is still assigned the economy plus seat but now it shows a fee when you hover the mouse over the economy plus section.

Did he benefit from a brief glitch in the system or should I move him back to his original seat in anticipation United will figure it out and boot him back to a less desirable standard economy seat on travel day/24 hours before flight?
I once got a CPU in a year when I had no status, because of an IT glitch. I say keep the seat. United ia unlikely to care
MileageAddict likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Did he benefit from a brief glitch in the system or should I move him back to his original seat in anticipation United will figure it out and boot him back to a less desirable standard economy seat on travel day/24 hours before flight?
Generally, once in E+, the seat assignment will stick UNTIL there is something that causes a "seating sweep" -- a change in aircraft and even a change in schedule that then would bounce them back into E-. You hear of this happening to off-PNR guests of elites or those that got E+ due to an earlier change.

So, do you take the chance? Worst case, the individual could end up in a middle E- if all the "better" E- are taken.

The chances of such a "seating sweep" increase with how long it is before departure. If you successfully did this the day before departure, then chances are good it will stick. Doing this 6-9 months prior to departure, chances are not as good.
MileageAddict and dilanesp like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.