Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning miles on *A codeshare flight operated by another *A partner (Neither UA)

Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In the Star Alliance system, miles are earned based on the flight operator (not the marketing / codeshare flight number). This is different from some other alliances -- such as Oneworld.

So, for an *A carrier codeshare on operated by another *A partner earnings are based on the flight operator, not the flight marketer.
Additional the fare class is based on the operator's fare class, not the marketing fare class.

UA states

The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class. This could result in differences between the purchased booking class and the booking class flown, which determines the number of base and Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned.
related thread - Earning miles on non-*A operated *A codeshared flights [Consolidated]

Print Wikipost

Earning miles on *A codeshare flight operated by another *A partner (Neither UA)

Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but want to check with those more knowledgeable.

On an AC 014 stock but a LH operated AC code share segment (AC flight number) the UA earning would fall under the LH chart based on fare class not the AC chart correct?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AceReport
... On an AC 014 stock but a LH operated AC code share segment (AC flight number) the UA earning would fall under the LH chart based on fare class not the AC chart correct?
Correct; simple *A rule, the flight operator determines the earnings, not the flight marketer.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
On an AC 014 stock but a LH operated AC code share segment (AC flight number) the UA earning would fall under the LH chart based on fare class not the AC chart correct?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Correct; simple *A rule, the flight operator determines the earnings, not the flight marketer.
Of course WineCountryUA is correct. However, good luck figuring out what the fare code is between AC and LH (or any *A partner) before you book the flight. You will see the AC code you're booking but that won't translate to what LH sees it as. And LH is what will matter for credit to the UA MP program. You may be booking a 50% code on AC which translates to 25%, etc. This is the biggest single downfall of codeshare booking in *A (IMO).

-RM
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Of course WineCountryUA is correct. However, good luck figuring out what the fare code is between AC and LH (or any *A partner) before you book the flight. You will see the AC code you're booking but that won't translate to what LH sees it as. And LH is what will matter for credit to the UA MP program. You may be booking a 50% code on AC which translates to 25%, etc. This is the biggest single downfall of codeshare booking in *A (IMO).

-RM
Thanks, I had not considered that factor. UGH. And I suppose good luck getting using plus points even if it ends up being an eligible LH fare class.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks, I had not considered that factor. UGH. And I suppose good luck getting using plus points even if it ends up being an eligible LH fare class.
LH only allows the application of PlusPoints on native marketed LH flights (no codeshares)
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

LH only allows the application of PlusPoints on native marketed LH flights (no codeshares)
Correct. But typically with UA codeshares isn't it possible to call the mileageplus line to have that segment switched?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:24 pm

Correct. But typically with UA codeshares isn't it possible to call the mileageplus line to have that segment switched?
Yes but such a change is not likely to happen on 014 ticket stock / AC codeshare
AceReport likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes but such a change is not likely to happen on 014 ticket stock / AC codeshare
Right; only AC could do it.

The fare mapping problem might not be as bad as it sounds: AC, UA, and LH group have harmonized their economy fare classes for TATL routes, so I suspect the mapping would be one-to-one. But the lack of a native flight number would be a killer -- and I don't know if AC agents could be persuaded to make that change and reissue the ticket in order to allow you to apply a UA instrument, especially if there's no inventory available under the native flight number.
AceReport likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jsloan
Right; only AC could do it.

The fare mapping problem might not be as bad as it sounds: AC, UA, and LH group have harmonized their economy fare classes for TATL routes, so I suspect the mapping would be one-to-one. But the lack of a native flight number would be a killer -- and I don't know if AC agents could be persuaded to make that change and reissue the ticket in order to allow you to apply a UA instrument, especially if there's no inventory available under the native flight number.
The fare codes are only somewhat harmonized based on cabin but not based on earnings. For example:

AC P earns 200% while LH P earns 100%.
AC Z earns 200% while LH Z earns 150%.
AC O earns 150% in PE while LH O is ineligible.

Many other differences as well. So to my point to the OP, be careful what you book and do not assume what you book on AC is true for LH. However, I believe the paid earning fare classes of AC will net you miles through LH (just possibly not at the same rate). You can always call LH after you book the itinerary and see what fare code you were assigned. I don't know the rules of cancelling an AC ticket within 24 hours for a full refund if you're not happy with the LH class. Or maybe it's just easier to book through LH in the first place.

-RM
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
AC O earns 150% in PE while LH O is ineligible. ....
Premium Economy is the least "harmonized" fare class
AC uses O, E, N
LH uses G, E, N
UA uses O, A, R

AC O would likely map to LH G which is 150%
jsloan likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: TK*G, IHG PA, BA Bronze, Marriott Silver
How about when the marketing carrier is not a *A member or is a connecting partner?
Old May 15, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by joeyzzz
How about when the marketing carrier is not a *A member or is a connecting partner?
All that matters is the flight operator and your MP account is entered on the PNR.
Old May 15, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by joeyzzz
All that matters is the flight operator and your MP account is entered on the PNR.
translating booking classes can, however, become a real nightmare
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:13 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Can each segment be associated with a different FFN?

I have a UA marketed NH operated flight in P, first thought was crediting to VS for 150% but I'm not sure that would work since they're not star alliance, if not then probably crediting to AC at 100% since the ticket stock is UA.

Also there a random 7G flight with NH number that only earns on NH, I'm assuming I can just ask the gate or checkin agent to switch FFN for one particular flight only?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by jix
Can each segment be associated with a different FFN? ...
UA issued tickets can only have a single crediting program. You can try to change programs between flights but since most carriers do not post immediately you can end up crediting to wrong programs. If there is sufficent time between flights and the first flight has posted then it is safe to change the second flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.