Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning miles on *A codeshare flight operated by another *A partner (Neither UA)

Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In the Star Alliance system, miles are earned based on the flight operator (not the marketing / codeshare flight number). This is different from some other alliances -- such as Oneworld.

So, for an *A carrier codeshare on operated by another *A partner earnings are based on the flight operator, not the flight marketer.
Additional the fare class is based on the operator's fare class, not the marketing fare class.

UA states

The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class. This could result in differences between the purchased booking class and the booking class flown, which determines the number of base and Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned.
related thread - Earning miles on non-*A operated *A codeshared flights [Consolidated]

Print Wikipost

Earning miles on *A codeshare flight operated by another *A partner (Neither UA)

Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:39 pm

Or have no FFP # in at all, and then retro claim each segment with the respective FFP?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by akl_cat
Or have no FFP # in at all, and then retro claim each segment with the respective FFP?
a possible solution if you don't need to make use of elite benefits
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jix
I have a UA marketed NH operated flight in P, first thought was crediting to VS for 150% but I'm not sure that would work since they're not star alliance, if not then probably crediting to AC at 100% since the ticket stock is UA.
Ticket stock wouldn't be relevant in this case; you'd earn based on the operating carrier. But NH P also earns 100% on AC.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:59 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
I thought about that but always find it risky as points can be lost.

Also, don't I have to provide full ticket number and they'll see all flights? So whichever airline I submit request first may just take over entire credit for all flights?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:02 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA issued tickets can only have a single crediting program. You can try to change programs between flights but since most carriers do not post immediately you can end up crediting to wrong programs. If there is sufficent time between flights and the first flight has posted then it is safe to change the second flight.
Thank you, did not know this. I was hoping to dump the long haul NH P into VS and OZ(Z), BR(J) into AC and 7G(Y) into NH, but looks like I'll probably just put it all on AC to save the trouble.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yeah, I have done that in the past. On business class ticket there aren't really too many benis from *A status that you miss

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.