Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can Business awards / upgrade awards be revoked / downgraded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by seenitall
Ouch, I was wrong here. I saw IAD-PEK, and didn't catch that OP was actually flying IAD-EWR-PEK. In that case, the EWR-PEK is a PMCO 772 with 50 J seats. But I still wouldn't worry that UA would try to sub it out with a PMUA 772 with 40J seats. First, PMUA 772s are rare at EWR; and second, it is my understanding that these are the 772s that first in line for Polaris 50J conversion. But as said, worry about the weather at EWR or IAD that morning, worry about the possibility of a misconnect. But don't worry about a frame sub causing a downgrade.
sUA for sCO swaps are exceedingly rare, and the sUA 772 has 48 premium seats, so it would only be over by 2.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Here's the thing. You cannot worry now for a flight in February. It's not good for you. A few days before your flight, check the weather. And then if the weather looks like it's going to be funky in EWR, and UA issues a weather advisory, take action. Have other routes in mind that can get you there (you can ask to be rerouted to get the flight to PEK from ORD, SDC to an earlier flight, etc.....)

FWIW, I have not seen too many complaints on UA of the downgrade happening on award tickets. BA, on the other hand, is notorious for doing that especially downgrading passengers from First Class to Business.
Miggles likes this.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jun 6, 2018 at 11:27 am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
If you are going to spend your time checking anything it should be to see whether you can get on the nonstop IAD-PEK.

United doesn't oversell J, so it's only if there are irrops that you might get booted by a paying customer who missed a flight. And even then it's unlikely because more typically J won't be entirely full so someone just won't get an upgrade (or at worst gets downgraded).
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:10 am

Thanks everyone! I will also continue to check for seats on the non-stop out of IAD. Even though I'm a bit worried about weather, we are scheduled to leave DC early enough that if the IAD-EWR portion of my flight gets canceled or delayed due to weather, we can still hop a train to Newark. Learned that one the heard way in the past!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KimDC
Thanks everyone! I will also continue to check for seats on the non-stop out of IAD. Even though I'm a bit worried about weather, we are scheduled to leave DC early enough that if the IAD-EWR portion of my flight gets canceled or delayed due to weather, we can still hop a train to Newark. Learned that one the heard way in the past!
It is August and you are already worrying about the weather in February? Have you found a 6-month weather forecasting service?
KimDC likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:52 pm

If you book a flight using Mileage Upgrade Award aka miles to upgrade an Economy ticket to Business class and/or Polaris, can it be revoked for any reason? I was all set to book a trip RDU-SIN in Economy but partner would prefer Business class. I haven't done this for quite a while and wanted to make sure that rules haven't changed. I don't want to book an upgrade award then have the rug pulled out from under my feet.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is it available to confirm right now? The simple answer is no, once confirmed it can't be "revoked". Standard disclaimers apply like:
  • In IRROPS standard policy is to ship you out in the first available seat in any cabin
  • Obviously if there was fraud, a ticketing error, etc. and audit can "revoke" it
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Is it available to confirm right now? The simple answer is no, once confirmed it can't be "revoked". Standard disclaimers apply like:
  • In IRROPS standard policy is to ship you out in the first available seat in any cabin
  • Obviously if there was fraud, a ticketing error, etc. and audit can "revoke" it
Yes it's available to confirm right now. Just asking in case something has changed. I understand IRROPS changes the game.

Thank you for the answer.

When I looked more closely, I saw the dreaded "Upgrade waitlist". Funny that United will sell you an upgrade but then put you on that waitlist. LOL

Last edited by zitsky; Jan 7, 2020 at 3:13 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
Yes it's available to confirm right now. Just asking in case something has changed. I understand IRROPS changes the game.

When I looked more closely, I saw the dreaded "Upgrade waitlist". Funny that United will sell you an upgrade but then put you on that waitlist. LOL
its available right now, or it’s not. Space in PZ needs to be available for an upgrade award to clear. If it’s not, they take the miles/co-pay, and put you on the list in priority sequence. If space opens, it clears people on the list in order (with disclaimers like, if there are 2 on your reservation waiting, and only one seat available, they will skip your party and upgrade the next 1 pax party).

United isn’t ‘selling’ you an upgrade if you don’t receive it. At time of request, you always have to pay the miles/co-pay upfront, so they know you can pay for it. If you don’t clear, everything is refunded (without fees).

if it does clear, you’ve got a confirmed seat in the cabin, and they can’t ‘revoke’ it. If you aren’t sitting in that cabin, they are required to pay downgrade comp. the only reason that would happen is if they can’t provide it, ie, plane gets downgraded to one with fewer seats and they are now oversold. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Probably not.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can UA pull an upgrade? Sure. They make the rules, they interpret the rules, and they enforce the rules. Does UA in practice have a habit of pulling the football away at the last minute, like Lucy does to Charlie Brown? No.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Originally Posted by zitsky

They do it all the time, the wait list ting. The icon is so small it is easy to miss but thankfully further along the booking process it does show up as wait list. When I hit that while planning a trip to Europe next fall I quickly gave up and booked AA for their PE seats. UA had zero PE seats on the routes I needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.