Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No More Auto-Generated Comp for Delays Under Six Hours

Old Jan 6, 20, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/unite...073049027.html

"United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees. The airline said it was making the change “based on feedback we’ve received,” though the message did not expand on who gave this feedback."

I guess the "feedback" was from Kirby, NOT any customer who isn't comatose or otherwise incapable of expressing an opinion.

I think this quote by UA firmly puts its use of phrase "based on feedback we’ve received" in the realm of unbelievable.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 6, 20 at 12:39 pm
Old Jan 6, 20, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I think this quote by UA firmly puts its use of phrase "based on feedback we’ve received" in the realm of unbelievable.
To be fair, I think the phrase "based on feedback we've received" has always included a lot of interpretation by UA. For example, if somebody wrote in to complain that their voucher was too small, the "feedback they've received" is the they shouldn't send vouchers out automatically because somebody might be offended.

I will continue to suggest that people write in if they've been affected by a controllable delay longer than 4 hours, and maybe even longer than 3 hours (reports are mixed for 3-4 hour delays). I guess we'll see if the number of denials reported spikes...
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
...I will continue to suggest that people write in if they've been affected by a controllable delay longer than 4 hours, and maybe even longer than 3 hours (reports are mixed for 3-4 hour delays)...
That's pretty much the course of action. UA will save a lot a money even w/o an increase in denials because a certain percentage of passengers don't know, or can't be bothered, to ask. In any case, I seem to be on a really good run w/ United relative to delays (and hope it continues).
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I've been fortunate the past few months avoiding Bay Area storms and haven't had a delay in quite some time - but I'll definitely write in for mechanical delays/cancels, etc.
Old Jan 7, 20, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist

It's being reported, based on an internal UA memo, that UA will no longer automatically award comp for delays under six hours. Rather, it will only compensate passengers who specifically request compensation.

United Gets Stingier with Customer Compensation for Flights Delays
Old Jan 7, 20, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
I think they are already getting stingy. I got only $150 per person for a delay (due to flight change) that was almost 12 hours and forced me to book a hotel room for an extra night.
Old Jan 7, 20, 10:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Thats disappointing. I liked the auto comp. I think the only time I felt like the amount was too small was a 5 hour delay from SAN to IAH where they then landed us as far away from the bag claim as possible (E gates and C claim)... and then the bag claim broke.
Old Jan 7, 20, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM), Marriott Plat Premier, Hertz PC
I miss the old days, where a 15+ minute delay triggered an automatic 25% increase in miles. I never had to call and ask for it, the bonus miles would just show up in my account after a few days.
cranky1K likes this.
Old Jan 7, 20, 12:50 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
This + fewer elites + mileage devaluation could potentially save UA tons of money.

Even LCCs like frontier send automatic comp for delayed flights.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.5 MM
The most recent salient "feedback we've received" from me is that United needs to work on its on-time performance. They significantly lag in this area currently. I was delayed on 1 out of 4 of my flights in 2019 - which is pretty much in-line with their 2019 average. This means that on average, every trip I take with 4 segments will have one delayed flight. I think that is unacceptable. I remember not long ago when United could advertise "Number 1 in On-time Performance". Now, they are far down the list.
Old Jan 8, 20, 2:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MysteryTour View Post
The most recent salient "feedback we've received" from me is that United needs to work on its on-time performance. They significantly lag in this area currently. I was delayed on 1 out of 4 of my flights in 2019 - which is pretty much in-line with their 2019 average. This means that on average, every trip I take with 4 segments will have one delayed flight. I think that is unacceptable. I remember not long ago when United could advertise "Number 1 in On-time Performance". Now, they are far down the list.
While individual experiences vary, you are looking at 15% to 20% of domestic flights for all but one of the domestic carriers that are 15 minutes or more delayed -- that is from best to worst. F9 is the worst at 25%
UA has dropped (now similar to AA/B6 and DL has been the long term leader) but we are talking a few percentage points difference.

Reference Dec 2019 BTS Consumer Report
jsloan and ajGoes like this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.5 MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
While individual experiences vary, you are looking at 15% to 20% of domestic flights for all but one of the domestic carriers that are 15 minutes or more delayed -- that is from best to worst. F9 is the worst at 25%
UA has dropped (now similar to AA/B6 and DL has been the long term leader) but we are talking a few percentage points difference.

Reference Dec 2019 BTS Consumer Report
In my case, a difference of 5% is 5 flights, 10% is 10 flights. That can add up to 10, 15, 20 hours - or more if one of those creates a missed connection - of my time wasted over the course of the year. That matters to me. The other thing it causes is concern with shorter connection times, so I book longer connections - more time wasted.

What is Delta doing different if they have been the long term leader?
FlyingNone likes this.

Last edited by MysteryTour; Jan 8, 20 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 8, 20, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MysteryTour View Post
What is Delta doing different if they have been the long term leader?
Not having ORD as a hub?
Old Jan 8, 20, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Not having ORD as a hub?
And SFO, and EWR, and DEN
Old Jan 8, 20, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Kind of funny how different UA approach is to DL. DL I had a delay, and cancelled/refunded my ticket and flew another carrier. DL proactively called me after and asked if there was anything they could do. I said nope, I've already booked myself on another carrier. DL agent said, ok i'm going to send you a $100 check.

This happened around 1am and I thought I was dreaming or a scam so let him say my address first. Thought for sure I had misunderstood and maybe it was $100 voucher, or $100 in skypesos, or something, but no. $100 check arrived when they had already refunded my ticket (and knew as such).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: