FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   FLL United Club Closed (temporary location in the meantime) - ARCHIVE (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2002995-fll-united-club-closed-temporary-location-meantime-archive.html)

bocastephen Aug 10, 2016 12:12 am

FLL United Club Closed (temporary location in the meantime) - ARCHIVE

Apologies if there is a thread on this that I missed, but coming off a flight into FLL tonight I noticed a sign on the door stating the club was closed and a temporary location would open on Aug 19.

Is this the design upgrade to the club or something else? Anyone know where the temporary location will be? There isn't much space available in the concourse to put an airline lounge.

jhayes_1780 Aug 10, 2016 7:29 am

From UA's website:

Fort Lauderdale, FL, US (FLL) United Club Terminal 1, next to Gate C1 - this location is currently closed for renovations.
Just guessing, but its probably just a refresh like the other clubs.

nevansm Aug 10, 2016 7:51 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 27042080)

Is this the design upgrade to the club or something else? Anyone know where the temporary location will be? There isn't much space available in the concourse to put an airline lounge.

I sure hope they've figured out a way to make it bigger and add some more bathroom space!

kirkwoodj Aug 10, 2016 8:12 am

Thanks for the heads-up, that's news to me!

Mike2K Aug 10, 2016 2:11 pm

I spoke to one of the UC agents when I passed through a little while ago. She had mentioned that the temporary club would be in place for quite some time as they are renovating and substantially expanding the current club. The club is supposedly expanding towards the TSA checkpoint, so I have to guess the CNN store will be shrinking or not renewing its lease(?).

lensman Aug 10, 2016 6:27 pm

This is good news as it really needs the space!

blueman2 Aug 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Yes, good news I suppose. But why did they not wait to close the existing lounge until the temporary one was ready? Come on, United! I had a long wait for a delayed flight and was really hoping to use the lounge.

JerseyCityS Aug 10, 2016 9:21 pm

I was there yesterday. I was furious there was no email to club members about this. I left the Ritz Carlton over an hour earlier than necessary with a friend thinking we'd hang at the UA Club. I think it's inexcusable to do this to customers without notice.

This left Chili's as the only option.

Fortunately the flight was excellent with a great crew in F.

PsiFighter37 Aug 15, 2016 4:56 pm

Any word on where the temporary location is or what it might be like? I'm flying back from Miami in November, but I would much rather fly UA out of FLL as I think there is a high likelihood that I will have some spare time to kill at the airport, and I definitely do not want to hang out in MIA without a club.

kmersh Aug 15, 2016 5:25 pm

Last time through FLL there were temp walls by approximately C-3 which I assumed were remodeling that particular gate area, but maybe that is where the temp club is going to be.

My only other guess is the smallish space next to the bathroom that have some desks in it along with an travel insurance stand. I guess they could wire up a computer there and put out some drinks, but it is not a big space and would not hold many people.

Other than that I am truly at a loss where they could put it, there is not much else space empty that is not a gate, a store or bathroom.

UA_Flyer Aug 15, 2016 5:27 pm

I am flying out of FLL on the 20th and hope the temporary lounge will be open as OP has stated.

bocastephen Aug 19, 2016 11:33 pm

Has anyone seen or visited the temporary lounge?

UA_Flyer Aug 20, 2016 3:57 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 27091707)
Has anyone seen or visited the temporary lounge?

I am here at FLL now Saturday morning around 6 am. I asked about the temporary lounge and was told it is not ready yet.

Hipplewm Aug 20, 2016 6:55 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 27069636)
Any word on where the temporary location is or what it might be like? I'm flying back from Miami in November, but I would much rather fly UA out of FLL as I think there is a high likelihood that I will have some spare time to kill at the airport, and I definitely do not want to hang out in MIA without a club.

MIA has centurion lounge!!!!

blueman2 Aug 20, 2016 9:15 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 27092112)
I am here at FLL now Saturday morning around 6 am. I asked about the temporary lounge and was told it is not ready yet.

I wrote to United Club saying how upset I was that they had closed the existing lounge before opening the temporary lounge. They assured me the temporary lounge would be open BEFORE the 19th, and that the 19th was the latest possible opening.

Hmmm.