Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FLL United Club Closed (temporary location in the meantime) - ARCHIVE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FLL United Club Closed (temporary location in the meantime) - ARCHIVE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Anyone know when the terminal construction and the new United Club will be completed?
Terminal work will finish in Q3 2017, but the UC project is probably separate - no word on that.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Terminal work will finish in Q3 2017, but the UC project is probably separate - no word on that.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's a ballpark timeframe for the UC construction too. I doubt United would invest in what appears to be a pretty well-equipped temporary space if we were only looking at a 8-12 week renovation.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Expansion will be nice, such a cramped little lounge despite the great service
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:27 pm

Interesting to note that Concourse A is just 5 more gates, but the project is managed and much of it funded by Southwest with the addition of international arrivals at those gates - this would suggest that WN might be adding international service to FLL to compete with jetBlue.

It appears the rest of the T1 airlines will remain where they are with no additional gates at the existing concourses, which also suggests *A partner Air Canada will likely remain in T2 with Delta - and thus not add to crowding issues in the new United Club.
It is my understanding (and I maybe completely wrong here) but DELTA and Air Canada had a long standing arrangement with regards to Ground Handling for Air Canada which dates back prior to Star Alliance.

In fact IIRC DELTA also does the ground handling for Air Canada at PBI and maybe even TPA.

I am happy that UNITED decided on opening a temp club, I would have thought they would have just said oh well and either closed the club completely or just said we will re-open the club when the new space is built out whenever that might be.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Anyone know when the terminal construction and the new United Club will be completed?
Not straight from Willis Tower, but one of the club agents recently told me they would be in the temporary club space for a year and half.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
I wouldn't be surprised if that's a ballpark timeframe for the UC construction too. I doubt United would invest in what appears to be a pretty well-equipped temporary space if we were only looking at a 8-12 week renovation.
Seems like it will be for the long haul, although the two projects don't appear to be connected (terminal renovation/A gates and UC) unless I was misreading the project plans - meaning, I don't believe there is time dependency from the terminal project to the UC project, so not sure why the UC renovation would take so long especially given the terminal project should finish within 12 months from now.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Seems like it will be for the long haul, although the two projects don't appear to be connected (terminal renovation/A gates and UC) unless I was misreading the project plans - meaning, I don't believe there is time dependency from the terminal project to the UC project, so not sure why the UC renovation would take so long especially given the terminal project should finish within 12 months from now.
From the renderings, it would appear the new airside connector building and centralized security checkpoint will occupy the area of the former club (tucked next to C1). I guess gutting that space is an enabling project for the larger expansion?

The UC might go in a new lounge area within the connector building, as the renderings seem to suggest such an application.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
I was back in the club yesterday and can confirm that there is no restroom.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
In the temporary FLL today. It is actually quite nice. A bit small, but furnishings are new and very nice. People out front said about 18-24 months before new lounge will open.

But one thing has not changed. The FLL Club employees are the best in the United Club system. Hands down the best. I cannot get over how friendly, smiling and helpful everyone is. One attendant just walks around the room asking to get refills or whatever people want. I noticed she remembered what people were drinking about 3/4 of the time, which is a really nice touch. My gosh, please United, promote these people to run all United Clubs!!!! Even if they are outsourced, please give them the rights to run all clubs...
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by blueman2
The FLL Club employees are the best in the United Club system. Hands down the best. I cannot get over how friendly, smiling and helpful everyone is. One attendant just walks around the room asking to get refills or whatever people want. I noticed she remembered what people were drinking about 3/4 of the time, which is a really nice touch. My gosh, please United, promote these people to run all United Clubs!!!! Even if they are outsourced, please give them the rights to run all clubs...
Agreed! FLL UC employees are great. I wish UA can look into how to expand its South Florida presence.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by kmersh
I am happy that UNITED decided on opening a temp club, I would have thought they would have just said oh well and either closed the club completely or just said we will re-open the club when the new space is built out whenever that might be.
Sort of like ORD? Despite multiple clubs, ORD UCs have been kind of a mess over the past couple of months with all of the closures. I'm glad UA adopted the no-passers policy; otherwise, the over-crowding would be severe.

Re FLL: I'm really just glad the FLL UC is still around, especially considering what seems like UA's minimal presence in S Florida. I've always written the GAs in the UC up in the post-flight survey and via twitter: they're really the best in the system.

Agreed! FLL UC employees are great. I wish UA can look into how to expand its South Florida presence.
Big ^ The connection times offered up on ua.com from BOS to MIA/FLL/PBI often border on the absurd. I don't mind connecting, but a two hour lay-over to get to MIA. Come on UA, you can do better.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
On UA website it now says "New Location" instead of temporary...

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Is the temporary club past security? I can't picture where it would be. FLL is a rather small aiport.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Yes, past security. On the right about 100 feet beyond where the old one was.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I see it as I am there now. What did they do to the ticket counter are. Looks much smaller.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.