FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Please advice on how to seek compensation - Too many problems on my recent UA flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2002947-please-advice-how-seek-compensation-too-many-problems-my-recent-ua-flight.html)

jsloan Jan 6, 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 31915937)
That is actually a true statement - if they knew where the bag was, you don't get the $1,500. On the UA website, it is spelled out if they can't find your bag after 3 days you get the $1,500

Sorry, what? How does that make any sense? If they knew where the bag was, why would it take five days to deliver it?

findark Jan 6, 2020 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by zoonil (Post 31915864)
I contacted the baggage resolution desk - and they said that the max comp they can offer is $300 per person in United E-certs. They said the $1,500 does not apply they could track my bags all through the delay, and could eventually deliver my bags. So am I stuck with a $300 e-cert instead of $1,500 sweet cash?

That's not consistent with some other experiences, but the no-questions-asked $1,500 is a company policy and not in the contract, so there's not a lot of recourse other than asking again.

Under the Montreal Convention, United is liable to pay any actual damages you incurred as a result of the delayed baggage, up to a maximum of approximately $1,550 per passenger.

HNLbasedFlyer Jan 6, 2020 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31915988)
Sorry, what? How does that make any sense? If they knew where the bag was, why would it take five days to deliver it?

I'm not defending it.

But that it took 5 days is a different issue. The website clearly says if they can't find your bag after 3 days - you get the comp.

In this situation, they knew where the bag was - it wasn't delivered timely and for whatever reason took 5 days.

raehl311 Jan 6, 2020 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 31916037)
I'm not defending it.

But that it took 5 days is a different issue. The website clearly says if they can't find your bag after 3 days - you get the comp.

In this situation, they knew where the bag was - it wasn't delivered timely and for whatever reason took 5 days.

I think it's better to think of this as you get $1,500 no questions asked if you NEVER get your bag back, which they will assume isn't going to happen if it has been 3 days and they have no idea where it is.

If they're just SLOW about getting your bag, then they compensate you for your inconvenience at a much lower amount, because you eventually get and thus don't have to replace all your stuff.

757FO Jan 6, 2020 1:49 pm

As a pilot for United, I'm very sorry you had these issues, and I hope the airline resolves this to your satisfaction.

zoonil Jan 6, 2020 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by 757FO (Post 31916232)
As a pilot for United, I'm very sorry you had these issues, and I hope the airline resolves this to your satisfaction.

Thank you... in all my troubles, dealing with UA employees was never one of them! I really applaud the professionalism of the UA employees I interacted with both in the ground and in the skies in working through my issues!

Momentum57 Jan 6, 2020 4:40 pm

LinkedIn - This sounds odd but I was getting the run around regarding a lost/damaged bag. During a trip through Asia my bag got 'lost' in Beijing Capital (PEK). It took them days to find it, then said they would deliver it, then said it's still lost. I had been calling far too much during my trip to enjoy it. One night I upgraded my LinkedIn membership for more 'InMail'. InMail allows you to contact people you are not connected to. I messaged marketing directors, COOs, director of North American operations... It pushed up the claim and got much better service. A few responded much later but all were gracious to take responsibility and own the issue.

Collierkr Jan 6, 2020 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31915657)
First, anything you send needs to be much, much, much shorter. I would frame this as two separate claims.

1. Bags did not arrive as scheduled. All that matters is that you checked them in and they did not arrive. All of the back-and-forth over 2 days is irrelevant. You are covered for your interim purchases up to approx. $1,660 per passenger (as noted above, UA by policy will not require receipts up to $1,500). Thus, simply submit a list of your purchases which would include replacing the presents, and you should be well taken care of unless there were items of extraordinary value.

2. The downgrade entitles you to a refund of the fare difference. UA can calculate the difference when provided with the PNR(s) and the four e-ticket numbers. The location of the seats is not relevant nor should you refer to it as Basic Economy as that is not the case and will only slow down the process. As you later note, you have already received customer service gestures totalling $900 per passenger.

3. I would forget about the meals. It simply is not worth it and detracts from the rest. For the benefit of others, if you have special meals on order, always check with a FA at the time of boarding. If, for some reason, your meal did not make it ,there should be time to remedy the situation. Once in the air, all you can do is make do.

For four of you this will work out to $9,600 in compensation + gestures, $6,000 of which is cash. That is not a bad result and could come close to a nice trip somewhere for you.

I think the detail is pretty darn close to correct AND I would not separate this into multiple emails. This calamity piled on and that should be clear when reading a single email.
One thing the OP should do is claim the credits already offered to them. They can certainly ask for more, especially on the baggage side.

In short, I would ask for complete CASH refund of any fares paid. Compensation for baggage delays, and future flight credit equal to what it would take to get the family of 4 to India and back.

Given that this all happened over the holiday break just makes it more difficult to recover. Can't blame United for having limits to what they could do in real-time, however they can certainly make up for it now.

zoonil Jan 6, 2020 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr (Post 31917029)
I think the detail is pretty darn close to correct AND I would not separate this into multiple emails. This calamity piled on and that should be clear when reading a single email.
One thing the OP should do is claim the credits already offered to them. They can certainly ask for more, especially on the baggage side.

In short, I would ask for complete CASH refund of any fares paid. Compensation for baggage delays, and future flight credit equal to what it would take to get the family of 4 to India and back.

Given that this all happened over the holiday break just makes it more difficult to recover. Can't blame United for having limits to what they could do in real-time, however they can certainly make up for it now.

Thank you. How do I ask/ contact them - using their website (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/customer/customercare) ?

jsloan Jan 6, 2020 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by zoonil (Post 31917102)
Thank you. How do I ask/ contact them - using their website (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/customer/customercare) ?

Yes. However, I disagree very strongly with the previous poster's response. For one thing, when you present a laundry list of problems, you are forcing the agent to read through them all to try to help you. Agents are in a hurry -- they deal with a ton of messages each day -- and the more they have to read, the more likely it is the they will miss something. For another thing, there seems to be an approximate limit that they'll grant in compensation for any one event. Breaking your complaint into separate emails can bypass that.

And, if you ask for a "complete cash refund of any fares paid," the most likely response is "no," and you will have limited ability to go back and try again. In general, the amounts you've already reported are in line with what I'd expect someone to receive from United, except that I cannot understand the distinction between "we have your bag and can't be bothered to give it to you" and "we can't find your bag," and I really expected them to follow through on the $1500. If they won't do that, I'd present an itemized list of whatever you had to buy while your suitcases were missing, and regarding the Christmas gifts, if you didn't replace them, I'd get a quote to ship those items to the recipients' address(es) and ask them to cover that instead.

HNLbasedFlyer Jan 6, 2020 10:46 pm

So far - you've got $900 in delayed flights e-certs and $300 in baggage delayed e-certs per person.

If the baggage delay caused more than $300 person, hopefully you kept those receipts and you should get reimbursed.

You should also get a refund from the downgrade to economy and that should be a substantial refund.

My personal opinion is you are up against the limit on what they will offer. I see no scenario where you get the full tickets refunded since you actually took the trip, albeit 5 days later.

jsloan Jan 6, 2020 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 31917945)
You should also get a refund from the downgrade to economy and that should be a substantial refund.

UA has been known to use the Y fare for comparison purposes, which might well have been more expensive than the discount business class fare that OP booked. However, they do seem to be getting better at that somewhat.

halls120 Jan 7, 2020 3:45 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 31917945)
So far - you've got $900 in delayed flights e-certs and $300 in baggage delayed e-certs per person.

If the baggage delay caused more than $300 person, hopefully you kept those receipts and you should get reimbursed.

My personal opinion is you are up against the limit on what they will offer. I see no scenario where you get the full tickets refunded since you actually took the trip, albeit 5 days later.

Reading this reminds me why we never fly over holidays or other peak travel times. Stuff happens, and when everyone else is traveling, there is little room for accommodation.

margarita girl Jan 7, 2020 4:31 am

Originally Posted by mctaste (Post 31915821)
Definitely agree you should leave out the part about the meals. Hearing there were no vegetarian appetizers is going to cause a lot of eye rolling.

Totally disagree. No veg meal means no food! A meat eater can eat vegetarian food. A vegetarian can’t eat a meal with meat in it.

UA used to forget to load my veg meals pretty regularly on EWR-HNL about 4-5 yrs ago. I was getting an ETC of $300/trip. After a few of those, they finally started loading my meals.

spin88 Jan 7, 2020 5:37 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 31918500)
Reading this reminds me why we never fly over holidays or other peak travel times. Stuff happens, and when everyone else is traveling, there is little room for accommodation.

I might modify this to say that given their generally poor operations, I do not take United over holidays. I have had bad experiences with post 2012 ua service recovery, and outside of rare examples just will not fly them at times/places where I need to count on service recovery.

as op said, having two straight Mx ewr-hkg, it is hard to think of an airline (cx, sq, lh, ba) flying these us to India flights that would not have just paid for op to fly on j on the me3 vs making them sit for 15 hours in y-.

that is really inexcusable in my book on a paid j trip.