FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Why did MileagePlus service center have people working at 3:42AM Pacific time? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2002792-why-did-mileageplus-service-center-have-people-working-3-42am-pacific-time.html)

Vangrovsky Jan 5, 2020 11:12 am

Why did MileagePlus service center have people working at 3:42AM Pacific time?

I contacted MileagePlus service center via email a few days ago. (regarding LH lounge entry denial because of lack of physical Premier gold card)

Some agent called my number at 3:42AM Pacific time this morning. My phone number is a California number, but I'm actually in Europe. My Google Fi Pixel phone rang, I was still too sleepy to wake up, so I let it go to voicemail.

I just listened to the voicemail. A very nice-sounding agent apologized for the issues of getting into the lounge. She said that she had ordered a physical card to be sent to me, but it wouldn't come until mid February. (which is fine by me)

What I'm really curious is where she was calling from. I can't imagine UA MileagePlus have employees working in California at 3:42AM on a Sunday, or anywhere in the US at that time. However, she absolutely did not sound foreign. If I had to guess, I would say she sounded 95% like Tina Fey. (no offense to Tina fey fans) I let my lady friend listen to it and she also said the UA agent sounded almost like Tina Fey.

Repooc17 Jan 5, 2020 11:20 am

3:42am in CA is 6:42am on the east coast, which is not that early. Or, it could be someone working in other parts of the world.

Even in the US, it's not unusual for someone working the graveyard shift (west coast), or working in the early morning time frame on the east coast.

Putting aside the time for a second, you should be appreciated an airline is calling you to make something right.

Vangrovsky Jan 5, 2020 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31911802)
3:42am in CA is 6:42am on the east coast, which is not that early. Or, it could be someone working in other parts of the world.

Even in the US, it's not unusual for someone working the graveyard shift (west coast), or working in the early morning time frame on the east coast.

Putting aside the time for a second, you should be appreciated an airline is calling you to make something right.

Oh, I absolutely appreciate them calling me back. I just feel bad that someone was possibly working the graveyard shift on a Sunday morning. :(

kevflyer Jan 5, 2020 12:16 pm

I believe they are out of Houston so it'd be 5:42 Central?

Vangrovsky Jan 5, 2020 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by kevflyer (Post 31911989)

but 5:42AM on a Sunday? :(

oh wait.. I guess it kind of make sense. I use my Europe address on my UA acct, so she probably thought that it was around noon my time. (although my acct phone number is a California (650) area code)

kevflyer Jan 5, 2020 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky (Post 31911995)
but 5:42AM on a Sunday? :(

Yeah.. Not sure. It says they start at 7am CT:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tact-info.html

Kmxu Jan 5, 2020 12:42 pm

I dropped an email to 1K Voice today (Sunday). The problem was resolved within an hour. They sent me an electronic voucher for a flight delay. The actual amount on the voucher was $100 more than that amount indicated in the earlier reply. :)

WineCountryUA Jan 5, 2020 12:59 pm

UA is a worldwide organization and has customer service people available 7x24

kevflyer Jan 5, 2020 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 31912091)
I dropped an email to 1K Voice today (Sunday). The problem was resolved within an hour. They sent me an electronic voucher for a flight delay. The actual amount on the voucher was $100 more than that amount indicated in the earlier reply. :)

How long was the delay??

fastair Jan 5, 2020 9:05 pm

No clue where the call centers are at currently for them, but pmUA used to be located in Rapid City SD. When I google "Mileage plus rapid city" it has an icon of a business with a "permanently closed" label.

UA_Flyer Jan 5, 2020 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky (Post 31911782)
I contacted MileagePlus service center via email a few days ago. (regarding LH lounge entry denial because of lack of physical Premier gold card)

Some agent called my number at 3:42AM Pacific time this morning. My phone number is a California number, but I'm actually in Europe. My Google Fi Pixel phone rang, I was still too sleepy to wake up, so I let it go to voicemail.

I just listened to the voicemail. A very nice-sounding agent apologized for the issues of getting into the lounge. She said that she had ordered a physical card to be sent to me, but it wouldn't come until mid February. (which is fine by me)

What I'm really curious is where she was calling from. I can't imagine UA MileagePlus have employees working in California at 3:42AM on a Sunday, or anywhere in the US at that time. However, she absolutely did not sound foreign. If I had to guess, I would say she sounded 95% like Tina Fey. (no offense to Tina fey fans) I let my lady friend listen to it and she also said the UA agent sounded almost like Tina Fey.

I don't quite understand why you are curious and surprised. The world does not revolve around US (or California). 3:42 am Pacific time is 8:32 pm in Tokyo, 12:32 noon in the Central European time zone, and 2:32 pm in Istanbul. There are customers around the world need to be served.

What is curious is you are in Europe and was too sleepy to wake up when it was noon time.:rolleyes::p

bart889 Jan 5, 2020 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by kevflyer (Post 31911989)

I was on the phone with an agent yesterday, and she told me she was in the eastern time zone.

Vangrovsky Jan 5, 2020 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 31913521)

What is curious is you are in Europe and was too sleepy to wake up when it was noon time.:rolleyes::p

That's an easy one. :)

Dinner party that ended around midnight + a dozen good beers = sleeping until noon on Sunday

UA_Flyer Jan 5, 2020 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky (Post 31913648)
That's an easy one. :)

Dinner party that ended around midnight + a dozen good beers = sleeping until noon on Sunday

^^^

rdurlabhji Jan 6, 2020 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 31913521)

That's called a vacation!