Wiki Posts
Search

Polaris J for side-sleepers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; SPG LT Platinum
Polaris J for side-sleepers?

Just curious if side-sleepers have found the odd-numbered seats best for sleeping? When the product rolled out there was a quick consensus about odd rows being best for privacy, window access, side table etc. I love the odd seats for all those reasons, and keep choosing them, BUT have found just where my knees bend when asleep they seem to bang right into the sides of the seat. Hard to tell, but it seems like the even (angled) seats perhaps are less confined right around where the foot enclosure ends?

(not quite sure best place to post this since it’s not really aircraft specific).
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
In 20+ Polaris flights I’ve never had an issue as a side sleeper. I’m 5’9”, and not big. In fact as I’ve said to friends and anyone that will listen, between the bedding, air vents, and seat, Polaris is pretty much the best I’ve ever slept on a plane (especially 78X).
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nevansm
In 20+ Polaris flights I’ve never had an issue as a side sleeper. I’m 5’9”, and not big. In fact as I’ve said to friends and anyone that will listen, between the bedding, air vents, and seat, Polaris is pretty much the best I’ve ever slept on a plane (especially 78X).
6' and mostly a side sleeper, same experience.
AndyInSaigon likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM
I'll add to the mix. 6'1 and fine on my side
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
5'10 here and no problem. Flew on 772
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:38 am
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
I find I have the same problem as you. Based on the above responses a definite case of YMMV. If I can't get a bulkhead, I prefer an even seat.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by nevansm
I agree, I sleep like a baby in those seats.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I sleep on my side and do okay in Polaris, though they are rather narrow and constricting compared (for example) to a reverse herringbone seat due to the considerably higher density. I would not want to fly the narrower version (787) for anything longer than a t-con.
ch922455 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Yet another ^ for side-sleeping in odd-numbered rows
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I don’t always sleep when I have a United J seat, but when I do it’s in an odd numbered one.
UKOK, kirkwoodj, pigzilla and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:33 am

I’m a side sleeper, I sleep great on Polaris. Singapore was more comfortable for me, but Polaris is fine. Two pillows is super helpful to me.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Being in a bulkhead is most important, followed by odd seats for me. Have difficulty side and back sleeping due to how tight the seat is, especially the "leg hole".
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I used to sleep better in the old PMUA lie flat seats than I do in the new Polaris seats. Of course, otherwise I prefer the Polaris seats...
cricketer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I used to sleep better in the old PMUA lie flat seats than I do in the new Polaris seats. Of course, otherwise I prefer the Polaris seats...
As awful as that seat was otherwise, it was well padded and generally comfortable for sleeping.

If find it hard to side sleep or to sleep more than 4-5 hours uninterrupted in the new Polaris seats. In LH F, on the other hand, I can easily side sleep and knock out for a whole flight because of the super comfortable mattress pad A good use of PlusPoints to upgrade.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I'm only 5'8, so the footwell is less important for me, prefer odd bulkhead if available.
I prefer odd window seats because they keep me from the aisle and give me lots of privacy. The even seats I feel like I'm hanging into the aisle. As for side sleeping, it works great. To be honest, I prefer an odd polaris bulkhead even over the old Global first.
kirkwoodj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.