FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Polaris J for side-sleepers? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2002648-polaris-j-side-sleepers.html)

BaldEmu Jan 4, 2020 9:43 am

Polaris J for side-sleepers?

Just curious if side-sleepers have found the odd-numbered seats best for sleeping? When the product rolled out there was a quick consensus about odd rows being best for privacy, window access, side table etc. I love the odd seats for all those reasons, and keep choosing them, BUT have found just where my knees bend when asleep they seem to bang right into the sides of the seat. Hard to tell, but it seems like the even (angled) seats perhaps are less confined right around where the foot enclosure ends?

(not quite sure best place to post this since it’s not really aircraft specific).

nevansm Jan 4, 2020 9:46 am

In 20+ Polaris flights I’ve never had an issue as a side sleeper. I’m 5’9”, and not big. In fact as I’ve said to friends and anyone that will listen, between the bedding, air vents, and seat, Polaris is pretty much the best I’ve ever slept on a plane (especially 78X).

findark Jan 4, 2020 9:50 am

Originally Posted by nevansm (Post 31908225)
In 20+ Polaris flights I’ve never had an issue as a side sleeper. I’m 5’9”, and not big. In fact as I’ve said to friends and anyone that will listen, between the bedding, air vents, and seat, Polaris is pretty much the best I’ve ever slept on a plane (especially 78X).

6' and mostly a side sleeper, same experience.

bubbashow Jan 4, 2020 9:54 am

I'll add to the mix. 6'1 and fine on my side

kevflyer Jan 4, 2020 11:28 am

5'10 here and no problem. Flew on 772

sb3 Jan 4, 2020 11:38 am

I find I have the same problem as you. Based on the above responses a definite case of YMMV. If I can't get a bulkhead, I prefer an even seat.

united 1k flyer Jan 4, 2020 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by nevansm (Post 31908225)

I agree, I sleep like a baby in those seats.

Kacee Jan 4, 2020 5:18 pm

I sleep on my side and do okay in Polaris, though they are rather narrow and constricting compared (for example) to a reverse herringbone seat due to the considerably higher density. I would not want to fly the narrower version (787) for anything longer than a t-con.

kirkwoodj Jan 5, 2020 2:19 am

Yet another ^ for side-sleeping in odd-numbered rows

Dublin_rfk Jan 5, 2020 6:10 am

I don’t always sleep when I have a United J seat, but when I do it’s in an odd numbered one.

Rosehill28 Jan 5, 2020 6:33 am

I’m a side sleeper, I sleep great on Polaris. Singapore was more comfortable for me, but Polaris is fine. Two pillows is super helpful to me.

Weatherboy Jan 5, 2020 11:12 pm

Being in a bulkhead is most important, followed by odd seats for me. Have difficulty side and back sleeping due to how tight the seat is, especially the "leg hole".

lhrsfo Jan 6, 2020 5:17 am

I used to sleep better in the old PMUA lie flat seats than I do in the new Polaris seats. Of course, otherwise I prefer the Polaris seats...

UAflyer93 Jan 6, 2020 6:12 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 31914356)
I used to sleep better in the old PMUA lie flat seats than I do in the new Polaris seats. Of course, otherwise I prefer the Polaris seats...

As awful as that seat was otherwise, it was well padded and generally comfortable for sleeping.

If find it hard to side sleep or to sleep more than 4-5 hours uninterrupted in the new Polaris seats. In LH F, on the other hand, I can easily side sleep and knock out for a whole flight because of the super comfortable mattress pad :) A good use of PlusPoints to upgrade.

LordHamster Jan 6, 2020 8:11 am

I'm only 5'8, so the footwell is less important for me, prefer odd bulkhead if available.
I prefer odd window seats because they keep me from the aisle and give me lots of privacy. The even seats I feel like I'm hanging into the aisle. As for side sleeping, it works great. To be honest, I prefer an odd polaris bulkhead even over the old Global first.