FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2020-2021] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2002050-voluntary-denied-boarding-vdb-bump-experiences-ua-2020-2021-a.html)

fumje Aug 9, 2021 9:42 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 33476949)
United is doing horribly (overall) at asking for volunteers on so many flights that don't need them. As I've mentioned previously I've been asked to volunteer on over 50% of my flights this year and not a single one of them has needed a volunteer. Today's takes the cake though...overbooked and the flight goes out with 11 empty seats in coach with the lone person on standby cleared. On an ERJ175, not mainline.

I'll keep trying :)

-RM

I think that is partially a data collection exercise. I suspect that, for those who "like" VDB, it's best to enter lowball numbers in that prompt and then renegotiate if it actually appears oversold.

Dave Schmel Aug 19, 2021 5:26 am

PHL-ORD Booked in J, oversold by 1, $500 ETC and was booked into J on Delta nonstop to my final destination.... and a couple of food tickets to boot.

Dave Schmel Aug 23, 2021 7:56 pm

And on my return leg..... ORD-PHL, got another vdb for 500 plus food lodging first flight in the am.... paid 500 bucks to sleep in a hotel as opposed to home... Not too bad.

RobOnLI Aug 23, 2021 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Schmel (Post 33514472)
And on my return leg..... ORD-PHL, got another vdb for 500 plus food lodging first flight in the am.... paid 500 bucks to sleep in a hotel as opposed to home... Not too bad.

$1,000 in a week on two different flights is great. Take that money "to the bank" and enjoy your next United flight for free.

-RM

B747SP Oct 11, 2021 1:48 pm

The offer started from $500 ETC via the app at T-24, to $1000 at the gate, and to $1500 plus a meal voucher as boarding started for this past Saturday's SFO-LAS flight. However in the end they did not need any volunteer and one standby even cleared. So close!

IAH-OIL-TRASH Oct 11, 2021 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by B747SP (Post 33635907)
...$1500 plus a meal voucher as boarding started for this past Saturday's SFO-LAS flight....

Wow - that's an entry fee for a World Series of Poker event. And a meal!

168 Oct 11, 2021 6:18 pm

SFO-PDX, hotel and next morning's flight.....started at $300

Kiosks was seeking for volunteers so I bid $1,000 for taking the next day's flight and adding $100 per hour for later flight options. When I arrived at the gate and was surprised to hear they were only offering $300. I told the agent this seems low for an overnight delay. I asked the agent to check with the supervisor to see if they can bump this up and let me know before I commit. They were overbooked by 3 and she was able to protect me on a F-seat 6 hours later. Once the announcement is made, one took on their offer immediately! Really??!!! As they were boarding group 4, they bumped up to $500 and got the 3rd seat they they needed.

After collecting $500ETC and my $20 lunch curtesy of United, I could had stand by for an earlier flight in 2 hours (4 Non-Rev cleared). Got greedy and was hoping for a double bump. No luck there and the flight went out with standbys too. Nevertheless, it was fun being at the airport and saw planes at every gate. One little step of getting back to the new normal......

pseudoswede Oct 12, 2021 12:14 pm

When I checked in for my SDF-DEN flight on Friday (10/8), the app asked if I wanted to volunteer and offered three options (connecting through either ORD or IAD or non-stop the next morning) with choices of travel voucher amounts. I chose a custom amount and added $100 to the maximum offer for each. At the airport, the poor GA was working trying to get two flights off at the same time. As I scanned my BP, I asked if they needed any VDB volunteers, and she looked at me as if I had three heads. I shrugged my shoulders and boarded. I don't think they needed anyone anyways.

kahuna613 Nov 23, 2021 6:18 am

I am scheduled to fly MUC-EWR-DCA tomorrow. I upgraded with miles + cash to Polaris.

When I checked in this morning, I was invited to bid for a voucher to take a different flight. It proposed MUC-ORD-DCA getting in about 4 hours later, and I bid $1000. Details for MUC-EWR tomorrow - Premium Plus is overbooked by 12???
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...52b64deea8.png

Did it not propose MUC-IAD nonstop because the computer doesn't look for co-terminal options?

jjmoore Nov 23, 2021 8:16 am

Originally Posted by kahuna613 (Post 33752317)
I am scheduled to fly MUC-EWR-DCA tomorrow. I upgraded with miles + cash to Polaris.

When I checked in this morning, I was invited to bid for a voucher to take a different flight. It proposed MUC-ORD-DCA getting in about 4 hours later, and I bid $1000. Details for MUC-EWR tomorrow - Premium Plus is overbooked by 12???

Did it not propose MUC-IAD nonstop because the computer doesn't look for co-terminal options?

Love it when these reach-outs come!! I would take it and run. Often times this is an indication that many volunteers are needed, though they often times find what they need with reach-outs. If you don't mind me asking, what did they offer, and how were the re-accommodation itineraries?

DELee Nov 23, 2021 8:18 am

Originally Posted by kahuna613 (Post 33752317)

Other FTers have indicated that the Premium Plus waitlist function is not working correctly.

David

kahuna613 Nov 23, 2021 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore (Post 33752556)
Love it when these reach-outs come!! I would take it and run. Often times this is an indication that many volunteers are needed, though they often times find what they need with reach-outs. If you don't mind me asking, what did they offer, and how were the re-accommodation itineraries?

The proposed compensation was low, something like 200,300,400. The proposed new itineraries were all MUC-ORD-DCA, with later and later ORD-DCA segments. I will ask for MUC-IAD if they can accommodate me in Polaris.

I’ll report back in the morning.

jjmoore Nov 23, 2021 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by kahuna613 (Post 33753811)
The proposed compensation was low, something like 200,300,400. The proposed new itineraries were all MUC-ORD-DCA, with later and later ORD-DCA segments. I will ask for MUC-IAD if they can accommodate me in Polaris.

I’ll report back in the morning.

Fantastic... and it sure is nice to see some activity on this thread again... wonder when things will get back to a more normal state, by my standards (lots of bumping!!!) :D Safe travels.

DELee Nov 23, 2021 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore (Post 33754341)
Fantastic... and it sure is nice to see some activity on this thread again... wonder when things will get back to a more normal state, by my standards (lots of bumping!!!) :D Safe travels.

If lots of folks are flying these next 6 weeks and with irrops, MX, WX, etc., bumping odds go way up.

David

kahuna613 Nov 24, 2021 12:38 am

No dice this morning unfortunately. Completely full but not oversold. And they changed my seat!