Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2020-2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2014
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2013

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's or even $1,000s in future travel vouchers ($10,000 has been reported), it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

There are no DoT requirements for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2019 8,856 17
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2019 20,564 24
 2018 16,973 51

Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2020-2021]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by dkc715
Me and the Mrs and my two adults kids on our way from EWR to RDU this past Saturday morning, prior to noon weather moving into EWR. Apparently, a last minute aircraft swap created an oversell situation (overbooked by 6 in first, and maybe more in Y). We were in economy. I’m getting food, but my kids call and say gate agent offering $1000 to VDB. By the time I get to the gate, offer is up to $5000 and not much crowd interest due to pending weather and possible overnight stay. Agent quickly jumps to $7,000 and I walk over. By the time I talk to the agent they go to the $10k max. Long line forms after me! Wife and I snare 2 VDBs and we meet my kids in Durham 4 hours later after clearing the standby list on next RDU flight. Weather not much of a factor when we left early afternoon.

Another father and son take $10k each and decide to drive. Solo female grabs an afternoon flight to GSO which is where she wanted to go. $50k in comp to the 5 of us, plus more to some downgraded first passengers. I’m surprised and happy UA didn’t just cancel the flight.

i could fly UA every day for the next 100 years and never see so much $$ for so little effort.
Can I just make sure I understand...the two of you walked away with $20k in United credit for taking a bump EWR-RDU? I, too, would have driven for that.

Incredible...
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made a bid on the app. How early do I have to get to the gate?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I made a bid on the app. How early do I have to get to the gate?
I would be there 60min prior to departure, which is typically when a gate agent will arrive to work the flight. Good luck.
jsloan and VegasGambler like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I would be there 60min prior to departure, which is typically when a gate agent will arrive to work the flight. Good luck.
I asked in the lounge; the agent said they were underbooked by 5 so I shouldn't even bother going to the gate. We are now fully boarded with 10 empty seats. I'm in 21F; 21E is empty So it worked out, kind of.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:16 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Today at JAC, JAC-SFO, I was at the next gate over, and they were offering 2500 for 8 volunteers due to weight and balance issues. They eventually got to 3500$ before they got the right number of folks they needed.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I flew AKL-SFO last week on a saver Y award. At OLCI, it prompted me to place a bid for VDB and the suggested amounts were $500, $600 or $700 and 25, 30 and 35K RDMs. Out of curiosity, I discovered the max $$ bid it would take was $2,000 and put it down. At AKL the following day, they were over by two due to inop seats in the Y cabin and said they would take me me for the $2,000. Unfortunately, all of the flights they proposed would not work with already scheduled plans at SFO (and the flights I found were somehow full when in reality they weren't).. Nice to see the willingness to go up without question, vs. trying to bargain down to $500.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Does anyone know if they will VDB to keep middle seats open? I haven't run across anything of the sort, but have noticed that some flights are zeroed out at some sort of capacity that reflects all middle seats having ability to be open. Thoughts?

Not expecting this thread to have any activity this year... my flying in the last couple months has been on mostly empty flight, but some more recently have been nearing the 50% capacity level on my LAX-EWR trips.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Does anyone know if they will VDB to keep middle seats open? I haven't run across anything of the sort, but have noticed that some flights are zeroed out at some sort of capacity that reflects all middle seats having ability to be open. Thoughts? .....
Since UA is providing no guarantee of emptry middles, I would suspect no. UA is offering on flights >70% booked to change for free to alternate flight
jjmoore likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Amazing that we are beyond mid-year, and this forum is only 2 pages long. Hopefully everyone is staying well during this rather interesting time.

My LAX-DEN-DFW itinerary just got interesting for Monday, as the LAX-DEN leg on UA1136 downgauged from a 753 to a 752, It was almost full to begin wish, and now it is zeroed out with most seats blocked up front, and no seats showing for sale. Wondering if I will get the phone call tomorrow for UA's proactive change, or if they will let it go to the gate. I could see either way since there is such a huge flux of passengers changing schedules, especially on full flights where people are concerned about having an open seat beside them. We will see, but it would make my day to get the phone call tomorrow for a voluntary schedule change!!

Maybe they will give me a direct flight on AA since there aren't too many options with connections that are ideal... and then I can double dip the miles / credit.

Stay safe and well folks!
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Amazing that we are beyond mid-year, and this forum is only 2 pages long. Hopefully everyone is staying well during this rather interesting time.
And we are at the end of the year and still on page 2...
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Empty flights and on time departure/arrival

I can think of three reasons. Most of flights are not 80-100% full; that is, everybody will be accommodated. If a flight is very full, United allows passengers to change to an emptier flight ahead of time.
During the pandemic, United's operation has been excellent, on-time departure/arrival, due to fewer operating flights.
Third, there are few FTers on UA flights than before, as seen from less posting on this forum, compared to previous years.
Hopefully, this thread remains quiet for other reasons.
Safe travels..

My LAX-DEN-DFW itinerary just got interesting for Monday, as the LAX-DEN leg on UA1136 downgauged from a 753 to a 752, It was almost full to begin wish, and now it is zeroed out with most seats blocked up front, and no seats showing for sale. Wondering if I will get the phone call tomorrow for UA's proactive change, or if they will let it go to the gate. I could see either way since there is such a huge flux of passengers changing schedules, especially on full flights where people are concerned about having an open seat beside them. We will see, but it would make my day to get the phone call tomorrow for a voluntary schedule change!!

Maybe they will give me a direct flight on AA since there aren't too many options with connections that are ideal... and then I can double dip the miles / credit.

Stay safe and well folks!
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
And we are at the end of the year and still on page 2...
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:44 am
Original Poster

No need to create a new thread for 2021 with only 2 pages from 2020. Thanks to whichever mod already beat me to renaming this thread to reflect.

Will probably be a very quiet year in 2021 on this thread as well. Safe travels!
Old Mar 19, 2021, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Well... my parents both took a VDB yesterday on UA4511 STL-EWR yesterday 3/18/2021. 2 seats needed, and they rerouted to BDL since they were ultimately headed to western Massachusetts (had to avoid all MA and NY airports to avoid virus testing and quarantine requirements). They were rebooked on DL through DTW and arrived 2 hours late for $1000 each in TCVA certificates.

Anyone else seeing any oversold flights out there these days?
jsloan, comfortablynumb and DELee like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well... my parents both took a VDB yesterday on UA4511 STL-EWR yesterday 3/18/2021. 2 seats needed, and they rerouted to BDL since they were ultimately headed to western Massachusetts (had to avoid all MA and NY airports to avoid virus testing and quarantine requirements). They were rebooked on DL through DTW and arrived 2 hours late for $1000 each in TCVA certificates.

You taught them well!

David
comfortablynumb and jjmoore like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

Seeing them? Yes. Getting a bump from them? No. Most of my flights these days are overbooked and seeking volunteers at the check-in process but never taking anyone. I think a lot of this has to do with Spring Break & Easter weekend coming up. I suspect things are going to get much quieter after April 5th again...at least may short term until schools start letting out in May.

Nice score for your parents!!

-RM
jjmoore likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.