Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals

Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals

Old Jan 1, 20, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM
The double catered flights are the worst.

F lunch from LIH to SFO was brisket served with a collection of shelf stable oddities and only a chocolate square for dessert
Old Jan 1, 20, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
It's easy to imagine Kirby removing all ovens and serving only box lunches in J, no food in Y. Think of the savings. Think how happy the FAs would be.
I would prefer boxed lunches over the current set of hot meals. The only edible meal now is the salad with sliced chicken on the side.
Old Jan 1, 20, 10:27 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Jade Golden Circle
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer View Post
This thread will start with McDonald’s and end with dog food. It will be a fun journey!

I would have gladly swapped out a filet o'fish for the salmon I had the other day.
droopydog likes this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by droopydog View Post
I would prefer boxed lunches over the current set of hot meals. The only edible meal now is the salad with sliced chicken on the side.
Be careful what you wish for - once upon a time, UA tried charging for F meals, don't think something like enhanced boxed meals in F for a charge isn't something Kirby would reject, especially if they were to eliminate all domestic hot meal service systemwide on the non PS aircraft.
Old Jan 1, 20, 6:17 pm

Programs: united 1k, HH Diamond
Sometimes I feel like airlines spend the most on dessert just so that it ends the meal on a good note.
Old Jan 1, 20, 6:45 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
Most of the discussion in this thread has been Polaris/International meals. Most of my flights are domestic and I have seen a significant decline in the domestic first meals. I am really not that picky, but the recent meals are awful. The kale/egg pastry thing: tasteless, horrible texture, ghastly tomato sauce - like eating shredded cardboard; the egg panini with bread so hard you need an axe to cut into it (but not having an axe, you bite into it and because it is so hard everything inside shoots out the sides); the buffalo chicken disaster. I am now just asking, can I have a hamburger from the back, or eating before I board. Or, I flew Delta and was surprised at how much better the domestic first meal was.
Was just subjected to this breakfast choice SEA > ORD on 12/31. In addition to the above, the other option was a "protein plate". Cut fruit and yogurt were as expected (OK for me), but the "protein plate" component of the meal was outright bizarre for breakfast in the US: one cold hard boiled egg, 20 cold almonds, triangle of cheap orange cheddar (or American Cheese product, couldn't be sure...), a couple of slices of cold, salty turkey, and two dozen grapes (not the first food I think of when thinking about protein), all served on a couple of leaves of lettuce (also cold).

While I appreciated catering a hot breakfast on a US airline is a lost art, at least the previous breakfast of cold cereal was edible.
Old Jan 1, 20, 6:48 pm

Programs: united 1k, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Be careful what you wish for - once upon a time, UA tried charging for F meals, don't think something like enhanced boxed meals in F for a charge isn't something Kirby would reject, especially if they were to eliminate all domestic hot meal service systemwide on the non PS aircraft.
What? When did united EVER charge for F meals??
wpcoe likes this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'm sure Kirby would be happy to offer the 'lite bites' option that he and Doug brought over from US when they started running AA:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23458549-post8.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23467488-post88.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23725164-post725.html
Old Jan 1, 20, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
US Airways served boxed lunches in F when they were in bankruptcy, just before the HP merger (when Scott Kirby came over). Those who do not learn from (their former airline’s) history are doomed to repeat it!!!
Old Jan 1, 20, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
I was told we would get 4 pieces of kibble, but I only got 3!!!
I can't wait to see the uproar when they replace the whole kibble with crushed kibble.
Old Jan 1, 20, 8:56 pm

Looking back to the early days of Polaris is like looking at a whole different airline.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27949859-post183.html
narvik and cmd320 like this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 9:46 pm

As a regular TPAC flyer, I think just replacing Y meals with Panda Express lunchboxes would be a significant upgrade. Polaris food is pretty meh. It'd just be nice if we can get at least somewhat better Asian food closer to what you'd get at any restaurant near SFO.
droopydog likes this.
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer View Post
What? When did united EVER charge for F meals??
Maybe 7-10+ years ago, give or take? I honestly don't remember the details, or whether it was systemwide or something related to TED.
Old Jan 2, 20, 2:06 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I do not normally eat breakfast on the plane but late arrival from LAS (NYE celebration) last night with an early morning flight to MSY (via IAH) means I needed to eat on the plane. I ordered the "scrambled eggs" albeit I normally avoid them like the plague on a flight but the fresh fruit and oatmeal(?) was not going to cut it.

Wow - it was an egg white and cheese sandwich. Very tasty! I would order that again in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 2, 20, 3:21 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
I do not normally eat breakfast on the plane but late arrival from LAS (NYE celebration) last night with an early morning flight to MSY (via IAH) means I needed to eat on the plane. I ordered the "scrambled eggs" albeit I normally avoid them like the plague on a flight but the fresh fruit and oatmeal(?) was not going to cut it.

Wow - it was an egg white and cheese sandwich. Very tasty! I would order that again in a heartbeat.
They've had that for a year now. Yep. Yummy.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: