Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals

Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals

Old Dec 30, 19, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
A few years ago my former employer had a contract with both AA and UA, and the in-house TA booked outbound to NRT on UA and in-bound on AA.

I was shocked to see AA serving the JAL Japanese meal in the first class cabin. Nice set of sashimi, sushi, tempura, yakitori, followed by Kobi beef as hot entree. What a treat! All those years flying UA since 1992 in First and business cabins, and I have never seen UA contracting NH to serve its Japanese meals out of NRT.

I donít know what AA serve now because I have not flown them for awhile. Just a data point.
AA still serves the same Japanese meal as JAL in business class. For the summer schedule this year when they offered Flagship First HND LAX , it was a slightly altered version of the JAL J meal. Not the full JAL F meal.
Old Dec 30, 19, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA
Makes you wonder why UA won't do the same with ANA's J meals
Old Dec 31, 19, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by vaguba View Post
Makes you wonder why UA won't do the same with ANA's J meals
I have no doubt at all itís 100% cost driven. If youíve flown NH J, you know how much higher the quality is.
Old Dec 31, 19, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I have no doubt at all itís 100% cost driven. If youíve flown NH J, you know how much higher the quality is.
And how much more elaborate the servings are. I don't doubt that apart from being more expensive to cater, the time required from the FA to prepare and serve it is also higher.
Old Dec 31, 19, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
The dirtiness of the casserole dish's rim/lip in many of the recent pictures is particularly disgusting,
and goes to prove exactly how careless and sloppy the FAs really are!
Old Dec 31, 19, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
The dirtiness of the casserole dish's rim/lip in many of the recent pictures is particularly disgusting,
The casserole dish is too big. UA should stuff the casserole with food, so the food and gravy donít bounce around and spill over.

LH, LX, TG, CA and OZ are also serving pre-plated entrees, but their dishes are packed full and FA do wipe off the spilled over sauce and gravy.

The quality and the way Polaris food being served remind me of my boarding school days... actually worse.. it is like in the movie Oliver Twist!
Old Dec 31, 19, 8:31 am

TBH, if the food was better quality, I think most would be a bit more forgiving about the plating/presentation (can't say I would feel the same if it were the opposite)
wrp96 and oopl like this.
Old Dec 31, 19, 6:02 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Jade Golden Circle
If it's anything like 2019, the drop off from 1/2020 and 12/2020 is going to be miserable.
Old Dec 31, 19, 6:08 pm

Programs: united 1k, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
If it's anything like 2019, the drop off from 1/2020 and 12/2020 is going to be miserable.
This thread will start with McDonaldís and end with dog food. It will be a fun journey!
Old Jan 1, 20, 3:15 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Jade Golden Circle
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer View Post
This thread will start with McDonaldís and end with dog food. It will be a fun journey!
I was told we would get 4 pieces of kibble, but I only got 3!!!
Old Jan 1, 20, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Most of the discussion in this thread has been Polaris/International meals. Most of my flights are domestic and I have seen a significant decline in the domestic first meals. I am really not that picky, but the recent meals are awful. The kale/egg pastry thing: tasteless, horrible texture, ghastly tomato sauce - like eating shredded cardboard; the egg panini with bread so hard you need an axe to cut into it (but not having an axe, you bite into it and because it is so hard everything inside shoots out the sides); the buffalo chicken disaster. I am now just asking, can I have a hamburger from the back, or eating before I board. Or, I flew Delta and was surprised at how much better the domestic first meal was.
exerda likes this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
When did UA cutoff the chocolates at the end of the flight? Always found that nice touch, but just realized that I haven't seen it in awhile.
They were still there in November on my Polaris flights to/from the UK. Serving with breakfast on arrival into LHR did seem a bit odd, though. (I remember when they gave the chocolates out during boarding; ah, the early days of Polaris...)
Old Jan 1, 20, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by droopydog View Post
Most of the discussion in this thread has been Polaris/International meals. Most of my flights are domestic and I have seen a significant decline in the domestic first meals. I am really not that picky, but the recent meals are awful. The kale/egg pastry thing: tasteless, horrible texture, ghastly tomato sauce - like eating shredded cardboard; the egg panini with bread so hard you need an axe to cut into it (but not having an axe, you bite into it and because it is so hard everything inside shoots out the sides); the buffalo chicken disaster. I am now just asking, can I have a hamburger from the back, or eating before I board. Or, I flew Delta and was surprised at how much better the domestic first meal was.

UA will ultimately gross out its customers enough so they book away from UA (if the other airlines don't decline to same abysmal levels also), and maybe then they'll realize that they have to spend the extra $0.67/meal to buy better ingredients and provide better presentation.
Of course, you also have the FA issue to deal with, which I am sure by now they've have all got accustomed to even less work by streamlining the slop-delivery process in-flight.

Kirby maybe already envisaging a food & beverage trough delivery system for 2020: an automated conveyor-belt type system that follows down the aisle from front to back. Anything uneaten ends up directly in the rear lav and can be flushed away. Could potentially save an additional FA!
droopydog, UA_Flyer, rch4u and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Thanks to the Moderators that we will get a chance to discuss the Quality of UA in-flight meals in this thread. I am happy to start posting meal photos from other airlines in this thread to make the point.

Perhaps I will be less embarrassed (for UA) to start posting their meal photos here instead to Letís Eat thread.
Old Jan 1, 20, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1 MM
Kirby maybe already envisaging a food & beverage trough delivery system for 2020: an automated conveyor-belt type system that follows down the aisle from front to back. Anything uneaten ends up directly in the rear lav and can be flushed away. Could potentially save an additional FA!
It's easy to imagine Kirby removing all ovens and serving only box lunches in J, no food in Y. Think of the savings. Think how happy the FAs would be.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: