Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I don't think surveys are really valid here. Of course people are going to say they like good food. That doesn't tell you anything about purchasing decisions. I bet there's a survey that says Y passengers care about legroom when we all know they don't.

If United was flying empty J cabins or giving out tons of upgrades, I would buy the notion they are doing something wrong. They aren't though- they are making bank.

At any rate, Polaris food is delicious. So even if food is driving purchasing decisions, it would work in United's favor.

Logistics is very relevant. It refutes preposterous statements about United only spending $10 on an international premium cabin meal.
"
"At any rate, Polaris food is delicious."

Surely you jest!!! Game! Set! Match!
uastarflyer, Zoltar, demkr and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:32 am

FT posters being overly picky? Not on my internet...
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
My opinion on all of this - we aren't going to see some dramatic improvement to UA food (nor Delta or American) as they don't view the foreign airlines as competitors.

Air travel today, whether it being driven by tools like Concur, are more and more driven by Corporate contracts, and the US base fliers who take SQ, BR, TK, etc are becoming more likely to not be able to choose that carrier via corporate policies. The US Big 3 knows that - and they view each other as the competition, As far as those Big 3, I've had decent meals on those - and some, like UA - not so decent. There are pros and cons to each. Of course, don't get me started on my hometown airline Hawaii which has mushrooms in practically meal, which I can't stand.

I just don't think the Big 3 care about foreign "competition"
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
My opinion on all of this - we aren't going to see some dramatic improvement to UA food (nor Delta or American) as they don't view the foreign airlines as competitors.

Air travel today, whether it being driven by tools like Concur, are more and more driven by Corporate contracts, and the US base fliers who take SQ, BR, TK, etc are becoming more likely to not be able to choose that carrier via corporate policies. The US Big 3 knows that - and they view each other as the competition, As far as those Big 3, I've had decent meals on those - and some, like UA - not so decent. There are pros and cons to each. Of course, don't get me started on my hometown airline Hawaii which has mushrooms in practically meal, which I can't stand.

I just don't think the Big 3 care about foreign "competition"
I somewhat disagree. The whole anti-ME3 campaign by our downmarket domestic airlines is evidence to the contrary.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Logistics is very relevant. It refutes preposterous statements about United only spending $10 on an international premium cabin meal.
Not relevant to taste and quality of the inflight meals. You know, this thread.

Feel free to start a catering logistics thread and then explain how this isn’t the same for any 777 regardless of carrier, yet others provide more and better food and drink.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
I somewhat disagree. The whole anti-ME3 campaign by our downmarket domestic airlines is evidence to the contrary.
I think that is fairly different - if there was collusion among Asian carriers/countires, I'm sure the US Big 3 would have the same reaction as the ME3 campaign.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let' try to get this thread back on track -- quality of UA's in flight meals.

Numerous inappropriate posts have been removed.
Remember the propose of FT is to have a civil, constructive discussion. We discuss the issues, not the poster(s). Taunting, snarky responses are not allowed.
Disagreeing, even vigorous disagreeing is fine -- but going around and around on the same disagreement is pointless. It becomes pretty clear some hold certain opinions that are unlikely to change -- at times it is more useful to agree to disagree.
And let's stay focused on UA.

WinCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by manstein58
When traveling overseas, always order express meal. Same as latter
I will take fast service of adequate food over slow service of fine food any day of the week. More time to work or sleep.
On the printed menu that AS provides it clearly states that an express option is available. So you can have fast and adequate!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Recent meal photos from Swiss Air:

Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
I have to say that I switched to UA last month after 12 years of EXP at AA, and while my flights have been on time, service has been good/decent, consistently offered a PDB (this is very inconsistent at AA), planes are older (no mystery there), my disappointment has been the noticeable difference in food quality. I purchased F/J EWR-EGE-EWR, EWR-PUJ-EWR, and got upgraded EWR-MCO, and I've been disappointed in the food quality compared to AA each time. The offerings lack inspiration, flavor, and feel like something you might be offered in an elementary school cafeteria. I've been on FT a long time, and there's no thread on the AA side about the concern over the food quality, so that says something right there. Of course there are some complaints , but no dedicated thread about the quality. One significant difference is AA always includes a salad with entrees and comes around with a bread basked with 2-3 varieties of warm bread vs. UA has packaged cheese on the side. The BBQ brisket I recently had was fatty and mostly un-chewable, the pasta had little flavor, and the egg white sandwich was so bland. Would it be too much to include a slice of tomato/salsa on the side, or something to add flavor? I feel like the food offerings are geared toward picky toddlers that only eat pasta and hot dogs with no toppings/garnish.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by bcm0830
I have to say that I switched to UA last month after 12 years of EXP at AA, and while my flights have been on time, service has been good/decent, consistently offered a PDB (this is very inconsistent at AA), planes are older (no mystery there), my disappointment has been the noticeable difference in food quality. I purchased F/J EWR-EGE-EWR, EWR-PUJ-EWR, and got upgraded EWR-MCO, and I've been disappointed in the food quality compared to AA each time. The offerings lack inspiration, flavor, and feel like something you might be offered in an elementary school cafeteria. I've been on FT a long time, and there's no thread on the AA side about the concern over the food quality, so that says something right there. Of course there are some complaints , but no dedicated thread about the quality. One significant difference is AA always includes a salad with entrees and comes around with a bread basked with 2-3 varieties of warm bread vs. UA has packaged cheese on the side. The BBQ brisket I recently had was fatty and mostly un-chewable, the pasta had little flavor, and the egg white sandwich was so bland. Would it be too much to include a slice of tomato/salsa on the side, or something to add flavor? I feel like the food offerings are geared toward picky toddlers that only eat pasta and hot dogs with no toppings/garnish.
I think this is a very cogent comment that says a lot: there are no DL/AA/AS or probably foreign airline threads in which multiple long time loyal elites dump on the airline for crappy food and beverage service. United is unique in having really cheap cruddy food, no espresso drinks, and cheap undrinkable wine. Basically no major airline, not even the other US three (or the two with J service) offers the sort of inferior product that United does.

Whether this costs UA traffic, all I can say is that United has under-performed DL and AA (until Parker's recent destruction of AA via service cuts and poor operations) and the JD Power consumer research I liked to shows that food and drinks matters a lot on international flights.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
That Swiss meal looks very bland. Needs Cholula.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by bcm0830
Very cogent appraisal of the "dining" situation with UA. Everyone who has flown internationally on US Flag carriers over the last 25-30 in J or F has experienced a general decline in quality of the food and beverages; none IMHE has fallen as far and as quickly as UA
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
That Swiss meal looks very bland.
While I appreciate others may enjoy that Swiss meal and I don’t think bland comes to mind, my first reaction was no no no don’t ever want that.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
While I appreciate others may enjoy that Swiss meal and I don’t think bland comes to mind, my first reaction was no no no don’t ever want that.
Different strokes, for different folks. Both are traditional European meals, high quality ingredients from the photos, and things will likely all taste good. Note the Cappuccino with breakfast. (and that these are TATL flights, so not even ULH). This said, there are certainly some folks who are happy with a starch and small piece of low quality meat, and a head lettuce salad and some $10 wine. My best friend in high school's parents thought that the top of the world was Luby's and they had no interest in eating anything else, anything beyond Luby's was quickly dismissed.

The problem is that people flying in J are probably mostly folks who would not want to eat at Luby's, and prefer something a little more interesting and adventuresome when traveling, or at least traditional food that is of much higher quality.
cmd320 and manstein58 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.