Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:42 pm

It's all about cost cutting not COVID. BA have managed for years to source and serve 187ml bottles of Pommery or Nicholas Feuillatte. UA could buy and serve them in their Polaris cabins but choo$e not to.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
UA 931 ORD-LHR 20 July.

My first INTL flight since Feb and first time I was back at LHR since Jan. LHR was weird to say the least. Only activity was in Term 2 & 5 and the normally long taxi times and waiting in sequence to depart are obviously gone. Totally weird to see QR and EK jets at the T2B gates and T3 as a parking lot full of VS jets. The flight went out on a 78J with only 8 booked in J, 3 blocked for crew, and 2 gate upgrades. Premium Plus was completely unoccupied. I think there were only 60 or so in Y, so everyone could have probably had their own row. FAs were friendly, but *ahem* VERY senior is a polite way to say it.

-No Predeparture beverage, except for a bottle of water plopped down on the side shelf.
-No menu
-Was told no inflight snack (except for Y cabin pretzels)
-Entrees were the standard Beef Short Rib, Whitefish, and pasta
-No dessert served
-Asked for a red and was brought he most putrid, foul white I think I've ever had. Tasted like old wine that has been left out and exposed to high temperatures and spoiled.
-Arrival meal was only a completely uninspiring very dry and flavorless sausage and egg frittata

The best part was they served the beverages to the entire J cabin on American Airlines napkins. No kidding. I brought it up to the FA, she sort of laughed and said she has been catered with DL glasses and other airline napkins in the past. The male Purser didn't seem to care much. I watched as two FAs brought it up to him and he sort of shrugged then carried on talking to one of the crew riding in one of the blocked seats. They did take them back, and gave me UA napkins. Truthfully, I don't care about napkins. But its the consistent lack of situational awareness and general give-a-crap that irks me about UA. No amount of cost cutting can or will save an airline if the employees aren't invested in and show pride in their work. I burned plus points for this upgrade and no way would pay and actual J fare for any of this.

Predeparture beverage

Love the Glenfarclas 12

Awful white

AA napkins

Arrival meal
jazzhou, artvandalay and leoo like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:04 pm

That Camelot wine is worse than anti freeze. They could do much better but choo$e not to. They aren't even trying, all in the name of Covid.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 9:38 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I would not know how to compare... does United even serve domestic economy meals anymore?
I believe the only domestic economy meals being served, pre-COVID-19, was on premium transcon E+. Choices are typically pasta duet or General Tso's chicken. Here are a few pictures:

From LAX - General Tso's chicken, or "chicken":

From EWR - pasta duet, or "pasta":

I would say Polaris meals are still better.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
It is my understanding that UA no longer serves champagne.
It was served in long-haul Polaris Business.

Originally Posted by worldtrav
It's all about cost cutting not COVID. BA have managed for years to source and serve 187ml bottles of Pommery or Nicholas Feuillatte. UA could buy and serve them in their Polaris cabins but choo$e not to.
UA never sourced 187mL bottles of bubbly, even for coach. If it takes them 6 months to source a new ice cream bowl in normal times, it would be almost impossible to source a new bubbly and have it available worldwide without considering the potential tax consequences. It's easier with the coach wines since they were already sourced.

Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
As an infectious diseases doctor, I'm honestly a little perplexed about the current service. If everyone is masked and healthy, why can't they offer wine poured from a real bottle? Take off the lids and serve a proper meal? Why do they need to serve what would be an economy snack as a second meal on the flight. They say its because of COVID-19 but contaminated food has not been associated with transmission of this disease.
Health Theater and cost-savings.
MrAndy1369 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha

UA never sourced 187mL bottles of bubbly, even for coach. If it takes them 6 months to source a new ice cream bowl in normal times, it would be almost impossible to source a new bubbly and have it available worldwide without considering the potential tax consequences. It's easier with the coach wines since they were already sourced.

You're wrong, United served pre departure sparkling wine from mini's. It was awful nonetheless but the supply chain was in place.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by worldtrav
You're wrong, United served pre departure sparkling wine from mini's. It was awful nonetheless but the supply chain was in place.
With that said, do you want them to serve that to you so you can complain about it? Maybe they realized that it's a terrible product and chose not to serve it en mass.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
The PDB sparkling and Camelot Chardonnay truly are ghastly (especially at room temp, which is usual IME).

At least UA are trying with the Polaris meals. It could be a lot worse (TK, BA, etc).
Lynnie_Bee likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by seanp7
The PDB sparkling and Camelot Chardonnay truly are ghastly (especially at room temp, which is usual IME).

At least UA are trying with the Polaris meals. It could be a lot worse (TK, BA, etc).
I certainly agree with your first comment.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Continited
... and here is what I got when I returned EWR-LHR on Saturday evening (apologies for the poor photo quality)... in comparison to the flight over the prior week, the salad and appetizer were removed and a Dole fruit cup was added. The main course is “chicken”... I can’t even describe it beyond that.

After dinner I slept all the way until final approach, so I’m not sure what they offered for breakfast unfortunately.... but +1 for the Polaris bedding and gel pillow!

That chicken looks absolutely revolting. For pete’s sake!
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Talking

Originally Posted by BlueSky72
That chicken looks absolutely revolting. For pete’s sake!
Underachieving chickens are bred at UA.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by fly747first
Underachieving chickens are bred at UA.
Does that make them little turkeys?

David
Old Aug 4, 2020, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Some of these recently shown dishes, it’s no wonder they are served covered in foil. Yikes.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:06 pm

They should be embarrassed to serve that chicken a la urine, but they're not.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I took a quick look through the a few pages of the thread, but didn't see any photos of the current food.

I'm flying SFO-FRA on Friday, and was wondering what I can actually expect to receive. Is it going to be the same food as before, just all at once? Or is it different? If no one has any photos I'll be sure to post some during the flight.

Edit: My post was moved here since it has a better answer to my question. The last photo of an international Polaris meal was a month ago. Does it still look the same?

Last edited by canadiancow; Aug 23, 2020 at 5:27 pm Reason: Moved to "Let's Eat - Polaris" thread
Old Aug 23, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I took a quick look through the a few pages of the thread, but didn't see any photos of the current food.

I'm flying SFO-FRA on Friday, and was wondering what I can actually expect to receive. Is it going to be the same food as before, just all at once? Or is it different? If no one has any photos I'll be sure to post some during the flight.

Edit: My post was moved here since it has a better answer to my question. The last photo of an international Polaris meal was a month ago. Does it still look the same?
No first hand knowledge, but I would expect no changes to what you've already seen upthread - a cheap, ill-prepared, somewhat disgusting platter of crap served all at once on a single tray - quantity wise, something smaller and less filling than a pre-virus domestic first class meal, and dramatically smaller than what was served in Polaris before the virus.

Curious - why did you select United vs Lufthansa who is offering a better inflight product right now?
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.