Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rhapsody in Blue entering into public domain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Rhapsody in Blue will enter into the public domain in 2020. Will this effect UA’s branding at all?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Yes, they will save a bunch of money when using it!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Rhapsody in Blue will enter into the public domain in 2020. Will this effect UA’s branding at all?
They’ll change the time signature and truncate those wasteful rests, so they can pack the notes closer together. It will ultimately become a dissonant hum.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: united
Rhapsody in Blue as a copyrighted song is different than as a trademark. United has amassed enormous secondary meaning and can still prevent competitors from using it.
am1108 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Rhapsody in Blue as a copyrighted song is different than as a trademark. United has amassed enormous secondary meaning and can still prevent competitors from using it.
Interesting question, assuming a competitor would actually want to use the same song. The Supreme Court has ruled that you can’t use trademark to protect attribution for uncopyrighted material, on the theory that uncopyrighted material should be free of all restrictions once the copyright expires. That reasoning could cast doubt on whether you can lock up use of a public domain song by trademark, but is it any different than locking up a (uncopyrightable) word or color that has attained secondary meaning?

A similar issue will arise when the original copyrights on Mickey Mouse expire soon.
am1108 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
Interesting question, assuming a competitor would actually want to use the same song. The Supreme Court has ruled that you can’t use trademark to protect attribution for uncopyrighted material, on the theory that uncopyrighted material should be free of all restrictions once the copyright expires. That reasoning could cast doubt on whether you can lock up use of a public domain song by trademark, but is it any different than locking up a (uncopyrightable) word or color that has attained secondary meaning?

A similar issue will arise when the original copyrights on Mickey Mouse expire soon.
The law is actually clear.

You can't use trademark law to RESTRICT THE DISTRIBUTION OR PUBLIC PERFORMANCE of a copyrighted work that goes into the public domain. So United can't prohibit the pianist at the Flagship Lounge from playing "Rhapsody in Blue", or demand a royalty. (They never could, actually, because they didn't own the copyright. But in your Mickey Mouse example, Disney could prohibit a competitor from making a Mickey Mouse cartoon. After the character enters the public domain, they can't, at least as to the original form of the character.)

But when using a public domain song AS A DESIGNATION OF ORIGIN OF YOUR GOODS AND SERVICES, it doesn't matter if it is copyrighted or uncopyrighted. Disney will continue to be able to, for instance, sue any film studio which adopts round cartoon mouse ears as its trademark. That has nothing to with the copyrightability of Mickey Mouse. And United can sue any airline that uses "Rhapsody in Blue" as a branding of their airline.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Mind directing me to the cases, if this has been clearly decided? It would be useful for my class.

Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
when the original copyrights on Mickey Mouse expire soon.
I wouldn't be too sure that will ever happen. Disney has been very successful in warping copyright law to extend their copyrights well beyond what the original laws intended (aka The Mickey Mouse Protection Act).
ajGoes and Newman55 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I wouldn't be too sure that will ever happen. Disney has been very successful in warping copyright law to extend their copyrights well beyond what the original laws intended (aka The Mickey Mouse Protection Act).
The politics have changed in the past 20 years.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:27 pm

Mind directing me to the cases, if this has been clearly decided? It would be useful for my class.

Thanks!
This Ars Technica article explains the difference between the Dastar case and using Mickey Mouse as branding:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...blic-domain/2/

And this article sets out some of the leading cases:

https://lucentem.com/2018/12/05/disn...his-copyright/
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:11 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
And United can sue any airline that uses "Rhapsody in Blue" as a branding of their airline.
In all fairness, there is not always a direct relationship between the merits of a case and whether or not a corporation can/will sue over the issue.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
In all fairness, there is not always a direct relationship between the merits of a case and whether or not a corporation can/will sue over the issue.
They could sue and win if another airline uses it as branding.

Many, many trademarks are in the public domain in terms of copyright. You can of course tell consumers you offer the "best buy" in town, but you can't brand your electronics store as "Best Buy".
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
They could sue and win if another airline uses it as branding..
Whether another airline would want to be confused with United is... outside the scope of this thread.

One point of clarification: Copyright expired today on the original sheet music for Rhapsody, but not the orchestrations of it. The scoring for a full orchestra dates to 1942. And now that I think about it, I can't remember how many instruments figure in United's version.

Trying to look that up did, however, lead me to this 1987 piece from the Washington Post's TV critic about United licensing Rhapsody for the first time, which he found somewhat scandalous.
cur, mrcool1122 and narvik like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by DCA writer
Whether another airline would want to be confused with United is... outside the scope of this thread.

One point of clarification: Copyright expired today on the original sheet music for Rhapsody, but not the orchestrations of it. The scoring for a full orchestra dates to 1942. And now that I think about it, I can't remember how many instruments figure in United's version.

Trying to look that up did, however, lead me to this 1987 piece from the Washington Post's TV critic about United licensing Rhapsody for the first time, which he found somewhat scandalous.
That's right. You can perform or record the Paul Whiteman jazz band version. The orchestral arrangement, if it contains any original elements, is a separate copyright.
mrcool1122 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
In looking up the topic, United has the option to register a soundmark that associates the song Rhapsody in Blue with the airline. Here's a list of examples: https://www.uspto.gov/trademark/soun...-mark-examples

Interestingly, Southwest registered the intercom chime + "You are now free to move about the country".

Originally Posted by DCA writer

+1. A song entering public domain means that any performer may use it without pay a royalty or requesting permission.

However, the specific orchestration United uses, which is performed by LSO, is still copyrighted.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.