Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will got give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per ticket. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
How can you see where you are on upgrade list prior to check in? I’ve not found a place to see that and calling in often results in opaque answers...
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by saccoNY
yea!...that didn't work either

so an AMAZING UPDATE to this special saga.....flew to SRQ the other day for a family vacay. Our four checked bags were literally 1, 2, 3 and 4 off the belt in that order....wow! One bag had the new snazzy blue velcro handle thing on it.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Could you clarify:
1. On completing checkin how you are on both spot 2 AND 5?
2. If #2 and #3 were GS but turned out 1K why they became ahead of you (#4)? It seems to make sense if it is the other way around, namely they were GS but mislabeled 1K earlier?
after checking in my name appeared twice on the list - I have no idea why but like I said it resolved itself after an hour or so.

To your second question, the point is they were not GS at all. We were told that they were by the GS agent as an explanation for me being moved from #2 to #4 on the standby list. It didn’t sound right at the time. When the flight boarded, since passengers #2 and #3 on the list had been upgraded I could see who they were and they were both 1K.

In summary, on checking in and splitting the reservation I lost the association with the GS traveler and instead got pushed down the list to below 1K, which is where I would have been had I traveled alone. Since I was originally on the same PNR as the GS traveler on an award ticket, I understood I was eligible for upgrade with the same priority as the GS member and should have stayed at #2 on the list and been upgraded - that’s how it worked on the way out
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by st530
What makes it (i.e., whatever happened that prompted this post) any more “official” than all the other conflicting messages on this issue discussed upthread?
Because I was told in January by a MP supervisor and a GS agent on the same call that it wasn't going away.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by villox
There is usually a GS agent waiting on the jet bridge, but all they’ve ever done for me is hand me a fast track pass.
Reminds me of what a mess LHR was for decades. The new 'humanless' system is beautiful. Hopefully, CDG replicates it.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by mattg85
In summary, on checking in and splitting the reservation I lost the association with the GS traveler and instead got pushed down the list to below 1K, which is where I would have been had I traveled alone. Since I was originally on the same PNR as the GS traveler on an award ticket, I understood I was eligible for upgrade with the same priority as the GS member and should have stayed at #2 on the list and been upgraded - that’s how it worked on the way out
According to many posts. if you were flying alone your GS upgrade instrument (+Pts) still put you ahead of the 1Ks unless they also use GS instruments. That is, before D-24h. After D-24, gate takes over the control then it has not been very clear what follows. The official published rule says 1K>P, that seems consistent with your experience. But some think that GS instrument still trumps 1K. In any case, your situation may not have anything to do with your being on the same PNR as the GS traveler or not.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:29 pm

United Clubs will be integrating their service, ie Polaris, United Club and Global Service agents will all be one. Millennials at the top think they know better but this decision will dilute the Global Service product as any agent will be able to assist all. I don't like this idea and it's one more thing that UA is taking away. Integration will begin in the Fall of 2020. Write, call and email your GS Team and let them know that this is not acceptable, otherwise, Get ready folks for another rocky ride in GS World!
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MylerMary
Millennials at the top think they know better
This is a loaded message. Are you confident this decision was only made by millennials? As a millennial should I be offended?

Agree this would be a terrible change, and I am happy to call/email but it's a bit of a stereotype to also call out an entire generation.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
United Clubs will be integrating their service, ie Polaris, United Club and Global Service agents will all be one. Millennials at the top think they know better but this decision will dilute the Global Service product as any agent will be able to assist all. I don't like this idea and it's one more thing that UA is taking away. Integration will begin in the Fall of 2020. Write, call and email your GS Team and let them know that this is not acceptable, otherwise, Get ready folks for another rocky ride in GS World!
Where did you get this "information"?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by AugustusM
Because I was told in January by a MP supervisor and a GS agent on the same call that it wasn't going away.
And what has changed? Did you HUCA?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
No more GS agents? And what is the current difference between “ Polaris” and “United Club” agents? At EWR and ORD, these two are interchangeable
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PBIFLL
And what has changed? Did you HUCA?
It was confirmed that it's only one segment in one direction per RT. I called and spoke to multiple people.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I don't think Scott Kirby is a millennial (he is 52). Blame all of this on Scott - he is a finance guy that seems to drive everything from numbers vs. an understanding of what motivates people. This isn't a bad business strategy unless it pushes customers away. If you keep flying United then he is right. If you dump United and move to Delta then he will have made a mistake...
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by AugustusM
It was confirmed that it's only one segment in one direction per RT. I called and spoke to multiple people.
I was able to do one a few weeks ago without issue. If the policy change really does stick than i will shift my spend to other airlines.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I have also been able to do this for multiple segments in one direction on six separate occasions this year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.