Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will got give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per ticket. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Silver
And yet another confusing data point. I just did a companion saver EXACTLY as it has always worked for me. aa-bb-cc, dd-bb-aa booked all the way in First (Domestic) and Biz(Intl) for saver miles. I didnt ask about the policy change because why rock the boat.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by PBIFLL
And yet another confusing data point. I just did a companion saver EXACTLY as it has always worked for me. aa-bb-cc, dd-bb-aa booked all the way in First (Domestic) and Biz(Intl) for saver miles. I didnt ask about the policy change because why rock the boat.
I would imagine this is a exception.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
I would imagine this is a exception.
These are all exceptions that we're talking about. The question is what exceptions are still allowed. As of now, there appears to be a huge amount of inconsistency from agent to agent in what exceptions are allowed. At one extreme, one agent told me that even if I book two one ways, AAA-BBB and BBB-AAA, it will be "deemed" a round-trip, and I can only forced a companion saver on one of the tickets. At the other extreme, people are reporting that some agents are still forcing companion saver on all four sgements of AAA-BBB-CCC-BBB-AAA round-trip tickets.

Last edited by physioprof; Feb 9, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by PBIFLL
Probably didn't get the memo. Lucky you
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by villox
However I just called in to get an upgrade pushed through (btw: I was able to upgrade an award ticket with PlusPoints even though the award came from my 1MM companion and points came from mine, using the app!!!) and the agent processed it without any pushback even though I previously had opened award space in the other direction.
One exception per PNR per agent
kb1992, wxguy and LIH like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Booked J Intl round trip for myself, needed a companion ticket. As an additional data point on the one segment policy:

1st agent: i can only confirm one direction, the other has to be waitlisted per a “new memo we received last week”

HUCA

2nd agent: I’m only able to confirm one way. Thus policy has been in effect since 2018 (?!?)

HUCA

3rd agent: I’d be happy to confirm forced biz saver in both directions!
PBIFLL likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by findark
One exception per PNR per agent
Excellent strategy
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Booked J Intl round trip for myself, needed a companion ticket. As an additional data point on the one segment policy:

1st agent: i can only confirm one direction, the other has to be waitlisted per a “new memo we received last week”

HUCA

2nd agent: I’m only able to confirm one way. Thus policy has been in effect since 2018 (?!?)

HUCA

3rd agent: I’d be happy to confirm forced biz saver in both directions!
Sad it has to be this way. Been there and done that with other issues with GS agents.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: United Millage Plus
Global Services Tarmac Transfer at Newark

Hi,

I'm Global Services and am flying into EWR from DCA meaning I am arriving at the A Gates. I have a connecting International Polaris Flight out of the C Gates after an hour and 30-minute connection, will they have a Mercedes meet me at my arriving gate and transfer me to the C Gates?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global_Guy
Hi,

I'm Global Services and am flying into EWR from DCA meaning I am arriving at the A Gates. I have a connecting International Polaris Flight out of the C Gates after an hour and 30-minute connection, will they have a Mercedes meet me at my arriving gate and transfer me to the C Gates?
you never know and if they did it would be an exception😀.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Flying Thursday domestic XXX-EWR. Waitlisted with 20 PlusPoints Y->F. When booked a few weeks ago, the 738 was J9. Today I saw it as J3. So at T-72, I called.

Agent 1: I'm sorry, there are only two revenue seats so you will need to wait until the gate.
Me: Oh, I thought I saw three seats for sale.
Agent 1: There are only two, but you're #1 on the list.
Me: Thank you.
HUCA
Agent 2: There are three seats for sale and you're the only one on the list so I can clear you now.
#NewMath
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wxguy
Flying Thursday domestic XXX-EWR. Waitlisted with 20 PlusPoints Y->F. When booked a few weeks ago, the 738 was J9. Today I saw it as J3. So at T-72, I called.

Agent 1: I'm sorry, there are only two revenue seats so you will need to wait until the gate.
Me: Oh, I thought I saw three seats for sale.
Agent 1: There are only two, but you're #1 on the list.
Me: Thank you.
HUCA
Agent 2: There are three seats for sale and you're the only one on the list so I can clear you now.
#NewMath
maybe there was a blocked seat?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
maybe there was a blocked seat?
Nope, I've been watching it like a hawk. Y is wide open, and there's no need for crew rest. Just a rogue agent...
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Delayed into IAH today because of crew and had to transfer from B to E with 26 minutes until the door closed in my Intl connection. MB transfer and saved overhead in the F cabin awaited me. Huge props to the GS crew in IAH
cesco.g, Ari, kirkwoodj and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 3 MM, CLEAR
Originally Posted by limey1K
Delayed into IAH today because of crew and had to transfer from B to E with 26 minutes until the door closed in my Intl connection. MB transfer and saved overhead in the F cabin awaited me. Huge props to the GS crew in IAH
I have had the MB ride save me numerous times at IAH going from B to either C or E. GS does a great job at IAH!
kirkwoodj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.