Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will got give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per ticket. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: 12 year UAL GS, LT Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium, AA Plat Pro
Anybody else having issues on auto upgrades when flying United Express E175's? Seems almost all of my upgrades are not clearing until 24 hours or less before the flight even though the seat map shows as many as 12 seats available. I asked a GS agent if she knew why but she said she did not.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
For CPU routes within 120 hours with PN>0, does this mean that GS should clear immediately without upgrade instruments?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kb1992
For CPU routes within 120 hours with PN>0, does this mean that GS should clear immediately without upgrade instruments?
Not necessarily. While CPU puts you into PN, CPU inventory is a separate bucket that isn't visible.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by justpetehere
Not necessarily. While CPU puts you into PN, CPU inventory is a separate bucket that isn't visible.
My hunch is that the algorithm also takes fare class into account. I clear earlier in >H class then when in lower fare classes.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
UA will never clarify, in writing, an unpublished benefit that very few folks know about. 1/2 of 1% of GS members are on FT. UA would rather frustrate this small population than publish a formal position and have 40% of GS, become aware of, and use the benefit...
I actually first learned about this benefit from an agent, not on here. When I had called in to book an award itinerary many years ago to match my revenue itinerary, I was told of this as a benefit. It happened on many occasions ... “as you may know, as you are on a paid itinerary I can happily open up space or clear upgrades for your companion. Which option works best today?”
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:04 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Just wrote a note to the United GS email about the degradation in this benefit and how it makes it pretty much useless to me given the fact I can't fly in J with my wife back in Y and the fact she would be waitlisted for one leg (or 3 of 4 flights if it is a connecting flight) is just a risk I can't take to preserve my marriage. I'm a first time GS member this year so will be interesting to see what response (if any) I receive to the note.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by greenpau
I actually first learned about this benefit from an agent, not on here. When I had called in to book an award itinerary many years ago to match my revenue itinerary, I was told of this as a benefit. It happened on many occasions ... “as you may know, as you are on a paid itinerary I can happily open up space or clear upgrades for your companion. Which option works best today?”
Exactly this, multiple times, and last only 1-2 years ago.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by LIH
While I agree that they won't put something in writing to "confirm" an unpublished benefit, I don't think UA wants GS members to not use the benefits (published and unpublished). I think it is more so they can maintain this exact kind of flexibility in how they implement it. I for one have had three conversations that I can recall with UA execs here in Chicago who implored me that they really want GS to use these benefits as much as they can because it enhances the value of GS and customer retention. They may have been full of it, but in all three instances that response was prompted by me intimating that GS customers must be a pain in the .../cost center at a point.
Do you mind if I ask when was the last time you had this kind of conversation? Not doubting you in the least but my feeling is that the wind is blowing in a different direction now. UA is in exploration mode seeing how far they can reduce benefits which they perceive to have an actual cost to them. Across all levels of MP.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by uanj
Do you mind if I ask when was the last time you had this kind of conversation? Not doubting you in the least but my feeling is that the wind is blowing in a different direction now. UA is in exploration mode seeing how far they can reduce benefits which they perceive to have an actual cost to them. Across all levels of MP.
My recent experiences seem to indicate:
1. The long-time GS phone agents have been trained, or conditioned, to always think how to maximize benefits to us. They are trying with sincerity.
2. The GS supervisors have been increasingly trying to control their enthusiasm in helping GS members. Last week a GS agent told me confidently she will get supervisor to approve an exception for me, but returned with frustration saying she was rejected, unexpectedly.
3. UA is applying brakes to these long-time, friendly GS agents.
4. New agents seldom display the willingness to provide extraordinary help.
ctownflyer and drklain like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:06 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Correct - and the talk track has shifted at the JPM conferences, investor day, and analyst talk track. The new VP of Loyalty who oversees MP / GS was non-industry and brought in by Kirby specifically to "rebalance benefits" and "redistribute benefits so that all customers feel rewarded". This came up at a number of UA customer events. At no point in the last 18 months have they talked about enhancing GS, and they haven't done it ... the push has been to enhance the experience for all customers, not just Elites ... and in fact, cutting back on Elite benefits to fund these other investments. I can't think of one thing that has enhanced GS in the last two years.

What is true is that the airline wants you to burn the miles that you have. They have to hold them on the balance sheet as a liability, and they have been steadily reducing this number over recent years by reducing average mileage earning rates and increasing redemption rates and non-flying redemption opportunities.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:52 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Most recently with a senior exec in the GS check-in lounge at ORD last October.

I agree that the GS program is less impressive than it was 8 years ago when I first got the nod but I think that's more around the secular trend of loyalty program degradation than a specific effort by UA to devalue the GS program.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by LIH
Most recently with a senior exec in the GS check-in lounge at ORD last October.

I agree that the GS program is less impressive than it was 8 years ago when I first got the nod but I think that's more around the secular trend of loyalty program degradation than a specific effort by UA to devalue the GS program.
The GS program has fared so much worse than the general program over the past several years. And there's no end in sight.
Certainly seems like UA felt that GS were over-entitled.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
The GS program has fared so much worse than the general program over the past several years. And there's no end in sight.
How so? They've taken away a few of the exceptions for award conversion and added 1Ks to the preboarding but otherwise how is it "worse" than what they've done to lower elite members, who now have much higher qualification requirements, lower earning amounts (since it's now tied to spend), etc?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Got a response to my email.

Dear Mr. XXXX:

Congratulations on making Global Services 2020 and reaching a Million Miles!

We appreciate when our passengers take the time to share their feedback and suggestions. Feedback like yours presents us with opportunities to improve our products and services.

We assure you that we do our best to meet your travel needs. We understand that travel is not always easy, so we continually focus on improving our products and services.

As a Global Services member you have made a significant contribution to United Airlines over the last several years and we want you to know that we recognize and appreciate your demonstrated loyalty. We also value our customers’ perceptions, and believe your constructive criticism is an important resource.

Mr. XXX, your valid feedback will be shared with our upper management team to ensure they understand what our best customers are feeling so we are able to drive future improvements.

Thank you for your business and for being a valued Global Services customer.

Sincerely,
XXX XXX
Global Services Customer Care
I will say it is much improved from the pre-printed post-card I received in response to a letter I sent Smisek back when he put out a call to 1Ks (and probably GSs) to provide feedback on what was working and not working. Interestingly enough the email above doesn't say anything with respect to the policy (more than one segment upgrade for a companion), just an assurance they will pass it on to the upper management team.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
With limited experience, actually I think GS program has fared better than the general program.

Clearly new qualification requirement hits 1K hardest.

It's almost as bad across the ranks. $10,000 PQP for Gold without segments? Seriously? Does United really value Gold status that much?

$5,000 PQP for Silver? Why not just buy E+ package for much, much less. CPU is nearly impossible for anyone lower than 1K anyway.

Dynamic award pricing? Well, everyone feels pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.