Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will got give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per ticket. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM+, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, & Hertz PC
Smile

Originally Posted by AugustusM
That's a shame, Nomad, I had pretty much the exact opposite experience and I do mostly domestic as well. Due to some short notice bookings where Biz exceeded our spend limit I ended up in the back but my CPU rate was close to 90% (about 20 flights), very rare that I didn't get moved up front. On the frequent EWR-SFO routes I also was able to upgrade with instruments close to the same rate.

GS service desk was awesome, never had an issue and when I did call about something legit on a group trip to Italy where I took Mrs. Augustus and friends they ended up comping me $2,000 in ETC's. Got the MB pick up twice (both times in IAH), frequently got greeted at the gate and really got to know the GS Reception staff at EWR. It was really a total elevation above 1K which I didn't really have many issues with the year prior.

I've already gotten another MB transfer this year, booked award travel for myself, the wife and a friend to Scotland, have London targeted for the fall for the same and am looking forward to the high level of service I've gotten spoiled with.
Similar experience to you AugustusM, and do a combo of International and Domestic. It's easy to pile on to GS, but overall, couldn't be more pleased with the things I do care about. IRROPS and upgrades, particularly toward the end of the year where I eased up and tried to use up the bazillion GPU's (points now) based on Premium Economy bookings for international flights to TLV, NRT, etc.

In almost all instances over four trips in Nov/Dec (each four segments since I'm BOS based), all were either upgraded at T-72 or I was able to call and force them through. Even better were the IRROPS on some very difficult connections and GS held flights for me / took me via MB to the tarmac. The best benefit candidly is the regular ability to get on earlier flights through EWR. I often can't book the 1-hour tight connections on overnight flights that land at 5 am (or late ones at 5 pm). Often they land early and with a combination of Global Entry/GS, I can still connect from terminal B in EWR back to C in about 15 mins. I call United regularly when I land and they'll push me into first. The GS team at Narita would actually hold a seat before I even left.

Final data point for a few observations a week back. Mercedes transfer has not gone away. Doesn't do much for me candidly, but my wife and i had tight connections with a boatload of ski and overweight bags from JAC to DEN - she was going to BOS (GS as mm benefit) and I was going back to SFO. We were both within 50 mins when we landed and DEN GS picked us up, dropped me off first since I had 5 mins less, then dropped her off further down the tarmac. I didn't care so much about bags as we were going home and was certain they wouldn't make it. Sure enough all of them made it....

Lastly, the BOS GS team are generally great, esp for a non-hub, and I'll keep giving them my business. Perhaps I just have a different perspective, but boy do we GS complain a lot!!
wxguy and AugustusM like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by manstein58
Curious here: my daughter- who is my companion GS- is on a flight tmrw morning from SFO to IAH. Way more than 4 seats available for upgrade. Called GS and was told they could not push this upgrade through. Correct?
CPU? Then no.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by stevenshev
CPU? Then no.
To be clear- Agent was wrong?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
There could have been other, higher status people on the list, and the list was "stuck." In that case, you see > 3 open seats, but nothing can be done unless/until the others ahead are cleared.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If CPU then agent is correct

If PlusPoints then agent should clear you if J>2 and nobody is ahead of you on the list. Some agents will go above and beyond and clear several people who are ahead of you, and you, but they aren’t required to do this. So you may want to HUCA once or twice.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by getagb
If CPU then agent is correct

If PlusPoints then agent should clear you if J>2 and nobody is ahead of you on the list. Some agents will go above and beyond and clear several people who are ahead of you, and you, but they aren’t required to do this. So you may want to HUCA once or twice.
Thanks. HUACA worked
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by physioprof
I have been told a couple days ago by a GS rep via email that for purposes of granting exceptions (forced companion saver & forced upgrades), only one of two one-way tickets that are deemed to constitute a de facto "round trip" will be granted an exception. As when I was told this by a GS phone agent, I did not attempt to gain clarification of the precise standard for determining when two one-way tickets constitute a "round trip".

And before anyone suggests it, I have zero intention of trying to game this out with HUCA or working with one agent to gain exception on some one-ways and another agent for the others. The gist of what I was told on the phone is that UA is scrutinizing GS exception practices much more closely now and I absolutely will not try to avoid what I have been told is the new rule, although it definitely will cost me a huge amount of miles.
Well, yesterday I called GS line for other business and the agent when answering the phone stated that they are a "supervisor". So after I finished the other business, I asked them whether only one one-way ticket that is part of a de facto "round trip" could be subject to an exception. He stated that since the rule is "one exception per reservation", it doesn't matter whether a one-way ticket is part of a de facto "round trip", and both one-way tickets could be subject to exceptions.

It's very annoying that there isn't any clarity or consistent messaging on this...
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by physioprof
Well, yesterday I called GS line for other business and the agent when answering the phone stated that they are a "supervisor". So after I finished the other business, I asked them whether only one one-way ticket that is part of a de facto "round trip" could be subject to an exception. He stated that since the rule is "one exception per reservation", it doesn't matter whether a one-way ticket is part of a de facto "round trip", and both one-way tickets could be subject to exceptions.

It's very annoying that there isn't any clarity or consistent messaging on this...
I had a supervisor today. Happily did an exception for each PNR with two one ways for my upcoming EU trip. Technically two one ways aren’t considered a round trip under the CoC, no matter how you do it, and the revenue management rules are set up this way. She confirmed the “one exception per PNR, one segment” guidance. She also said there have been so many complaints about this, and encouraged me again to write in.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by greenpau
I had a supervisor today. Happily did an exception for each PNR with two one ways for my upcoming EU trip. Technically two one ways aren’t considered a round trip under the CoC, no matter how you do it, and the revenue management rules are set up this way. She confirmed the “one exception per PNR, one segment” guidance. She also said there have been so many complaints about this, and encouraged me again to write in.
I wrote in yet again as this is making me reconsider trips and routing.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
Does anyone know how PQD > PQP is going to work. We kinda knew 40-60k was the right range for GS in the past but now that PQP takes into account other spend, do we think the threshold will be 50-70k PQP?

Also how do we see BIS miles? It doesnt show the right base miles anymore. For example EWR - ORD adds 719 lifetime miles but its only 345 base miles?

P.S. I have a challenge to get back to GS for $18k of spend. Is that $18k of PQP or PQD?

Last edited by Parikh1234; Jan 19, 2020 at 4:29 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Parikh1234
Does anyone know how PQD > PQP is going to work. We kinda knew 40-60k was the right range for GS in the past but now that PQP takes into account other spend, do we think the threshold will be 50-70k PQP? ...
In the past PQDs could include partner flights (if on 016 ticket stock) and it is believed here UA backed out the non-UA operated portion. I see no reason to believe that would change with PQPs. The only other major addition is cash upgrades and that might move the bar a tiny amount.

Originally Posted by Parikh1234
Also how do we see BIS miles? It doesnt show the right base miles anymore. For example EWR - ORD adds 719 lifetime miles but its only 345 base miles? ...
BIS only matters for Lifetime status and UA tracks it for you. You can capture your yearend number from UA and then manually track -- UA still shows flight miles in a couple of places -- their online timetable, mobile flight search, ... or use www.gcmap.com for a decent estimate

Also see
How is everyone tracking lifetime miles with new system?
How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?
wxguy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by nomad420
Having now completed 1 year of GS...My experience with GS service was less than stellar...
Interesting topic. As a newly minted GS, I'm starting to form some views:

Tremendous Value
1. Saver award to J upgrade. Wow! Love this benefit. It also creates a healthy habit of using miles (depreciating asset) and plus points (perishable asset) so they don't accumulate.
2. Push upgrade at T-72. Wow! Love this one as well. Eliminates all the 'TOD-offer' drama.
3. Create IN & XN. This has become very valuable given dynamic award pricing.
4. IRROPS. Due to mainly flying long-haul flights, I don't get stung by IRRPOS that often. That said, when it happens, it's amazing what GS will do. About 10 years ago, I flirted with GS for a few years. Was on holiday with the family in Taiwan when a typhoon hit. The UA flight was canceled three straight days. They ended up putting four of us on Eva J when our original tickets were in Y. Amazing...
5. VIP Lounges. Many probably don't care, but I value this. The LHR space is nice and quiet. The HKG space is also pleasant and has no shower line, not to mention fresh grapefruit juice with no added sugar!

Limited Value
6. GS Check-in Counter. Given how TSA pre and Clear have evolved, this has very little benefit. In fact, I avoid it, because I feel obligated to chat with the GS agent before being waved through and that burns time. I'd rather they close all these and redeploy these funds.
7. Email address - It's nice that they respond relatively quickly. That said, UA on twitter is just as quick & easy for non-GS related tasks.
8. CPUs - I don't really fly any CPU eligible routes. It's either TPAC, TATL, or TCON. If UA doesn't fly there non-stop, I'm flying someone else. SFO-DTW, hello Delta. SFO-FLL, hello JetBlue. So CPUs aren't a big deal. I may be unique here.
9. Waitlist priority for instruments - I only use my instruments for leisure, and only when PZ/PN is available, so WL never comes into play. Again, I may be unique here.
10. Pre-boarding. I find being 1st a pain. I'm perfectly happy boarding at the end of pre-boarding. This way, strollers, GS, 1K are all out of the way. Crawling over folks is difficult for everyone involved.
11. Tarmac transfers. I just don't transfer that often given the 'non-stop only' creed I subscribe to.
12. Arrival lounges. The Priority Pass lounge network is so robust, this is of little value.

Flat out Liability
13. GS Phone Line - Despise it. Agents are great, but number of times I'm placed on hold is unbearable. As a two-decade 1K, I was placed on hold 2 out of 100 calls. As GS, I hold on 20/100 calls. What's worse is they force-route to the GS desk. The GS desk is small relative to the 1K desk, so any moderate IRROP across the network results in hold-time, whereas the 1K desk has the scale to absorb IRROPs. I even pulled my phone number to avoid the auto-routing, but that creates other issues, so now I just deal with it.

To me, the strength of the program is its variety of benefits. Every GS probably has their favorite 3-5 benefits and that's hard to accomplish for a company that serves such a global and diverse customer base. I applaud UA on the program and am happy and proud to be part of it!
telemark27 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
I was informed the T-72h forced instrument conversion now only applies if traveling with the GS whose accounts the PlusPoints are coming out of. Even as a GS, I cannot have my upgrade pushed through since the PlusPoints came from a different GS member’s account.

The agent confirmed that this change came about during the introduction of PlusPoints. He went on to read off a list of other changes, including the “one exception” per record locator policy.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
I was informed the T-72h forced instrument conversion now only applies if traveling with the GS whose accounts the PlusPoints are coming out of. Even as a GS, I cannot have my upgrade pushed through since the PlusPoints came from a different GS member’s account.

The agent confirmed that this change came about during the introduction of PlusPoints. He went on to read off a list of other changes, including the “one exception” per record locator policy.
Now that’s just petty.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
I just had two cases in the last 2 weeks where T-72 forcing did not have the GS account holder traveling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.