UA agents forced me to check baggage

Old Dec 30, 19, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
UA agents forced me to check baggage

When checking in for my PSP-EWR flight, the agents on the ground when we checked our baggage forced me to check an additional piece of baggage, even though I only had 4 carry-ons between my wife and me (and our infant). They claimed they would make me gate-check if I did not. Do they have this discretion? Why am I being forced to check a bag in lieu of someone who is in BG3 or 4?

Maybe I am off-base, but to me this seems like a blatant curtailing of what I am allowed and deserves an appropriately-worded email to 1kvoice. Frankly, one of the implicit benefits of 1K is boarding earlier and getting overhead space. I would appreciate hearing if this is a valid sentiment or not.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Dec 30, 19 at 12:12 am
Old Dec 30, 19, 12:32 am

Programs: EK gold for 2020,UA 1K
Psi,
if im reading this correctly you had 4 carryons....in the eyes of UA you are allowed 1 carryon and 1 personal item per ticketed passenger, were the 4 items actually 1+1 per person? ive had agents enforce it like there is no tomorrow and then ive had agents let it go. sounds like you had the psp enforcer
Old Dec 30, 19, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cosflyer View Post
Psi,
if im reading this correctly you had 4 carryons....in the eyes of UA you are allowed 1 carryon and 1 personal item per ticketed passenger, were the 4 items actually 1+1 per person? ive had agents enforce it like there is no tomorrow and then ive had agents let it go. sounds like you had the psp enforcer
I bought a seat for our infant, so I do think technically we are allowed 6 carryons. Even just counting my wife and I, we had only 4 carryons. And yes, they were 1+1 per person.
Old Dec 30, 19, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Do they have this discretion?
Yes.

Why am I being forced to check a bag in lieu of someone who is in BG3 or 4?
Then you really have to ask yourself - do you actually have 4 carry-on?

The policy is 1 carry-on and 1 personal item. So literally, the GA sought to be correct that you exceeded the limit.
BigJC, Statman, rch4u and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
The policy is 1 carry-on and 1 personal item. So literally, the GA sought to be correct that you exceeded the limit.
As we are sitting down, we have one item in the overhead bin and 2 under the seat. You tell me, but I think that qualifies us to have another bag overhead.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
As we are sitting down, we have one item in the overhead bin and 2 under the seat. You tell me, but I think that qualifies us to have another bag overhead.
I am asking you. So I really don't know.
txaggiemiles and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 1:01 am

Sounds like 1 of your bags was too big to be personal.
Old Dec 30, 19, 1:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
OP: I think if you said “we had 2 carryons and 2 personal items with 3 purchased seats” you would get a different response.
Old Dec 30, 19, 1:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Too many or too big?

Maybe they deemed one of the carry-on pieces too large for a carry-on? Or maybe they deemed two of the personal items too large for personal items?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 1:54 am

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
The wording that you used when you spoke to the agents may make a difference. If you say right off the bet 'four carry-ons', then they may say you have to check luggage. If you say two carry-ons two personal items, then you may not have to.
Old Dec 30, 19, 2:09 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky View Post
The wording that you used when you spoke to the agents may make a difference. If you say right off the bet 'four carry-ons', then they may say you have to check luggage. If you say two carry-ons two personal items, then you may not have to.
Yup.

Context matters. If you had two (or three) roller bags and then two (or three) other "carry-ons" that were top bags/backpack size, then the agent was off base.

But if you had four 22" or 20" roller-bags (or 4 similar sized bags), then the agent was right to make you check them. I have routinely gone on family trips where we each have a 22" roll-on, and then everyone has a top bag/back pack with them. But I would not try to bring an extra 22" roll-on bag, anything that big is not a "personal item"
Old Dec 30, 19, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by chriskuo View Post
Sounds like 1 of your bags was too big to be personal.
Two.
Two personal items would need to have been too big.
djmp and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If two of the items fit under a seat, they’re personal items, not carry-ons.

Sounds like power tripping counter agent. The irony is that UA gate agents regularly let pax blatantly violate carry-on rules. I’d complain to 1kvoice.
djmp, Dublin_rfk and VRFast like this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Just landed. They were well aware we purchased 3 seats (they printed out my daughter’s BP). As for the item to be checked, they did not care - they wanted the stroller, I gave them a pack-and-play. Both fit in the overhead compartment, and we did not have to check either on our flight out west a couple weeks back.
Old Dec 30, 19, 5:18 am

Just landed. They were well aware we purchased 3 seats (they printed out my daughter’s BP). As for the item to be checked, they did not care - they wanted the stroller, I gave them a pack-and-play. Both fit in the overhead compartment, and we did not have to check either on our flight out west a couple weeks back.
(bolding mine)

Maybe THAT was the issue???

From this site:

"Special items for infants and children
We don't consider pack 'n' plays, collapsible cribs and similar products transportation devices. Therefore, you won't be able to check these items at the gate.
Customers who bring these items to the airport will need to check them as part of their checked bag allowance before going through security."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: