FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Bag fee charged with Chase UA MP card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001748-bag-fee-charged-chase-ua-mp-card.html)

bbriscoe34 Dec 29, 2019 5:45 pm

Bag fee charged with Chase UA MP card?

My wife flew home from EWR to DEN on UA, on an award flight where she used her Chase MP card to pay the taxes. When she checked in, it still charged her $30 for a normal checked bag. We requested a refund from UA's website, citing the waived bag fee policy as a MP cardholder/user, and they processed a refund for only $10. What gives???

Often1 Dec 29, 2019 6:41 pm

Don't waste a second on worrying about "what gives?"

Initiate a partial chargeback for the $20, noting that the fee was $30, that UA acknowledged that the fee was charged in error and then only processed a refund for $10.

UA won't bother to research the issue and, if it did, would acknowledge fault. You will have a temporary credit in short order and it will become permanent when the time for a response passes.

Even at minimum wage, it's not worth the time you will spend on the phone and even then you will never have a good answer as to what happened. People make mistakes.

WineCountryUA Dec 29, 2019 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 (Post 31887416)
My wife flew home from EWR to DEN on UA, on an award flight where she used her Chase MP card to pay the taxes. ...

Just to verify, the miles were hers, she is the primary cardholder, and the card account is in her name?

LimeyFlyer Dec 29, 2019 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31887574)

Initiate a partial chargeback for the $20, noting that the fee was $30, that UA acknowledged that the fee was charged in error and then only processed a refund for $10.

UA won't bother to research the issue and, if it did, would acknowledge fault. You will have a temporary credit in short order and it will become permanent when the time for a response passes.

Even at minimum wage, it's not worth the time you will spend on the phone and even then you will never have a good answer as to what happened. People make mistakes.

Agree, and for the chargeback value, nobody at Chase is going to waste time spending 20 hours investigating the circumstances assuming you don't dispute everything every month..

bbriscoe34 Dec 30, 2019 10:09 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31887596)
Just to verify, the miles were hers, she is the primary cardholder, and the card account is in her name?

Yes, Yes and Yes. Now I'm thinking they mistakenly credited her drink onboard charge of $10 instead of the bag fee charge of $30.

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31887574)

Initiate the $20 at United or with Chase? I'm not sure I can dispute a partial charge with Chase, can I?

Often1 Dec 30, 2019 11:01 am

You can't chargeback with UA, only with a card issuer, e.g. bank.

Yes, Chase does permit partial chargebacks (for US-issued cards, which I presume this one to be).

emcampbe Dec 30, 2019 11:52 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 (Post 31889448)
Yes, Yes and Yes. Now I'm thinking they mistakenly credited her drink onboard charge of $10 instead of the bag fee charge of $30.

Initiate the $20 at United or with Chase? I'm not sure I can dispute a partial charge with Chase, can I?

yes, you can do a partial chargeback. I’ve done it before.

proper procedure, per card agreement, is to first try to settle with merchant. That means calling UA or submitting a request online. If that doesn’t work, tten yes, a chargeback for the rest is appropriate.

PTahCha Dec 30, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 31889811)

proper procedure, per card agreement, is to first try to settle with merchant. That means calling UA or submitting a request online. If that doesn’t work, tten yes, a chargeback for the rest is appropriate.

+1. Send a note to UA first regarding the incorrect refund amount. If they do not agree, then dispute.

Often1 Dec 30, 2019 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 31889811)

OP has already done that. UA chose to refund only $10 of a $30 fee.

There is no requirement of going back a second time. Indeed there is every reason not to as it only encourages merchant vendors to issue partial refunds when a full refund is due, as a means of bargaining people down.

That is especially true when one considers that the chargeback will take 2-3 minutes online while dealing with UA will take infinitely longer.