FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Lufthansa Welcome Lounge access for UA flyers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001721-lufthansa-welcome-lounge-access-ua-flyers.html)

Hartmann Dec 29, 2019 1:16 pm

Lufthansa Welcome Lounge access for UA flyers

The only thread I could find about arriving as a UA customer was here, so I thought I'd ask my question in a newer post.

I am set to fly EWR-LHR-FRA in J (the non-stop on UA was sold out). I'd like to take a shower if I can on arrival into FRA but the Welcome Lounge information page seems to state that only flights via MUC/GVA on LH metal get access. Is that really the case?

nigos Dec 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Hartmann (Post 31886770)
The only thread I could find about arriving as a UA customer was here, so I thought I'd ask my question in a newer post.

I am set to fly EWR-LHR-FRA in J (the non-stop on UA was sold out). I'd like to take a shower if I can on arrival into FRA but the Welcome Lounge information page seems to state that only flights via MUC/GVA on LH metal get access. Is that really the case?

You will have access to the Welcome lounge. Showers are good - food hit and miss.

WineCountryUA Dec 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Hartmann (Post 31886770)

The rules are clearer here
for UA *G

Valid United Airlines MileagePlus Global Services card and boarding pass for a United Airlines intercontinental flight arriving on the same day
and
*A Business Class

Business Class boarding pass for a Lufthansa or United intercontinental flight arriving on the same day
Last admission at 1230.

The MUC/GVA comments refer to additional access for connecting flights.

I would agree a connecting flight from LHR is not clear from the wording

nevansm Dec 29, 2019 1:39 pm

If you have a long enough layover at LHR all of the *A clubs have showers you can use as well. The UC showers are very nice.

Repooc17 Dec 29, 2019 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31886817)
Last admission at 1230.

This is the key.

Given the first LH flight departs at 0630, and the first UA redeye ex-EWR doesn't get in until 620am, the OP is likely on the 2nd LH flight to FRA, which doesn't get in until after 1300 (1pm).

Every time I am on a TATL overnight, I always head straight to the hotel and shower in my room. Have never had issues getting a room, even sometimes at 0700 or earlier. A shower in the hotel room is generally better than a shower in the lounge.

cfischer Dec 29, 2019 3:15 pm

The rules are clearly spelled out here ... what is the ambiguity?

https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/lounge-types-and-access

WineCountryUA Dec 29, 2019 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 31887069)

That was the link where the quotes came from.

Would a EWR-LHR-FRA flight qualify? Does anyone have experience connecting from same-day intercontinental to intereurpoean flight to FRA? Does that qualify?

Does "arriving" refer to just the intercontinental arriving at FRA?

It is interesting the LH calls out intercontinental to MUC/GVA and then a connector as qualifying -- that might suggest other short connecting flights from an intercontinental might not qualify. Actual experience would be the best way to understand this.

hirohito888 Dec 29, 2019 4:02 pm

I used it while connecting on a LX itinerary, JFK-GVA-FRA. Otherwise, every time I accessed it on UA were on US-FRA non-stop flights. Also note that showers are closed off around 12pm-ish, so even if you get there by 12pm, they won't let you shower, you can still hang around the lounge and eat/work until 1230pm.

tods27 Dec 29, 2019 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31887098)
That was the link where the quotes came from.

Would a EWR-LHR-FRA flight qualify? Does anyone have experience connecting from same-day intercontinental to intereurpoean flight to FRA? Does that qualify?

Does "arriving" refer to just the intercontinental arriving at FRA?

It is interesting the LH calls out intercontinental to MUC/GVA and then a connector as qualifying -- that might suggest other short connecting flights from an intercontinental might not qualify. Actual experience would be the best way to understand this.

They do call out some exceptions, but LHR is clearly not on that list (open the section that says "further clarification of admission rules"). There are exceptions for flights from other LH group hubs (MUC/DUS/ZRH/GVA) and some of the far eastern European airports. There is no suggestion that other routes may apply as the exceptions are pretty specific.

WineCountryUA Dec 29, 2019 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 31887182)
I used it while connecting on a LX itinerary, JFK-GVA-FRA. .....

Connections from LX GVA are specifically called out as allowed.

as are

(4) The following passengers also have access to the Lufthansa Welcome Lounge at Frankfurt Airport:
  • Passengers who arrive in Frankfurt via Dusseldorf or Munich after an intercontinental Lufthansa flight (in First or Business Class).
  • Passengers who arrive in Frankfurt via Zurich or Geneva after an intercontinental SWISS flight (in First or Business Class).
  • Intercontinental routes are flights with the flight numbers LH401-LH799 or from ALG, BEY, CMN, IST, KZN, LCA, TUN, ESB or DME.

Unless someone as experiences that are different, EWR-LHR-FRA on UA Polaris, does not look like it qualifies.

united 1k flyer Dec 29, 2019 4:25 pm

You need to be ARRIVING in Polaris if a remember correctly.

docbert Dec 29, 2019 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 31887069)

"Business Class boarding pass for a Lufthansa or United intercontinental flight arriving on the same day"

The OP will have one of those. For EWR-LHR. So I guess they'll be let in? Or perhaps that statement in a little ambiguous...

WineCountryUA Dec 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 31887334)
"Business Class boarding pass for a Lufthansa or United intercontinental flight arriving on the same day"

The OP will have one of those. For EWR-LHR. So I guess they'll be let in? Or perhaps that statement in a little ambiguous...

Is that arriving at FRA or somewhere else?

So why the specific mention of connecting flights from DUS/MUC/GVA having access -- and no other airports?

Repooc17 Dec 29, 2019 5:19 pm

Moot point on the access. Unless OP can connect on the 1st flight out of LHR to FRA, which would well below MCT anyway on the TATL connection, the 2nd flight of the day ex-LHR will not arrive into FRA until after last call.

docbert Dec 29, 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31887362)
Moot point on the access. Unless OP can connect on the 1st flight out of LHR to FRA, which would well below MCT anyway on the TATL connection, the 2nd flight of the day ex-LHR will not arrive into FRA until after last call.

Looking at Thursday Jan 6 as a random date, I see 3 flights LHR-FRA that get in before 12:30pm (10:05am/11:05am/12:05pm). The first is a legal connection off UA110. The next two are legal off both UA110 and UA14. All 3 flights are UA codeshares.

The connection between UA110 and the first is 1h10m. I have no idea what MCT is at LHR, but given UA is happy to sell this connection, I presume it's 70 mins or less. (Which would make sense for a T2->T2 connection with no immigration required)