Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is someone in this middle seat?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2019, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mctaste
OP are you strong willed enough to stonewall the middle seat picker? You could be the person who makes them stop pulling this tactic.
We always pick window/aisle and we've never had a middle seat person even dare to ask to switch. We offered it a couple of times when it suited us, but would never permit someone to bully their way into one of our window/aisle seats so we could sit together for their convenience.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
We always pick window/aisle and we've never had a middle seat person even dare to ask to switch. We offered it a couple of times when it suited us, but would never permit someone to bully their way into one of our window/aisle seats so we could sit together for their convenience.
We always book window/aisle (except in business class, then two windows) but unlike your experience, we are always "offered" to swap. I can't blame the middle person for hoping for a window or aisle but we always decline. Several times they've been visibly upset at us, as if it was my idea for them to book basic tickets and get stuck between us.
elsaglass likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lilpisher
For awhile (god, i don’t even remember how many years ago), United routinely and actively blocked middle seats for elites. I have noticed it a handful of times this year as a GS, but with full loads seems like they often get filled near the end...
That was pre-merger, and yes, it was a nice benefit.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Gig103
We always book window/aisle (except in business class, then two windows) but unlike your experience, we are always "offered" to swap. I can't blame the middle person for hoping for a window or aisle but we always decline. Several times they've been visibly upset at us, as if it was my idea for them to book basic tickets and get stuck between us.
Once in a situation like this I was "offered" to swap. I suspect this was because my daughter in the window seat asked me a few questions. If you do not talk across the the middle seater you probably will find far fewer offers/requests to swap. If you pass items over the middle seater to your companion you are almost guaranteed to be offered to swap.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
People do this in hopes that no one will chose to sit next to them when another row is open. IF you monitor your seats closely, this can work. Especially towards the back. But if you're not careful, you'll end up boxed into that middle.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 4:39 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
It's not a blocked seat (I asked when I called United to extend some expiring PlusPoint). So, I moved up one row.

I wonder if there are situations when passengers aren't shown all available seats. Perhaps an elite from a partner airline?
They may be a nervous flyer. Don't be shocked to see them move up between you again
droopydog, rwm818, mherdeg and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 4:51 am

I always maintain that opposite aisle-aisle is the best seat assignment for 2 people travelling together, especially if you know the flight will be full
Old Dec 26, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I always maintain that opposite aisle-aisle is the best seat assignment for 2 people travelling together, especially if you know the flight will be full
I agree with this, and if not available, I will book window and aisle for myself and Mrs Limey, and the poor person in the middle just has to live with us :-)
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Not sure where the seatmap starts (there are no row numbers), but looking at that, is seems like an older layout; if the map starts at row 16 on a 77Y, the middle seat in question would be 20K.

Could it be that the person selecting that seat did so by phone and thought it was a nice aisle seat in PP on a Polarized plane???
Or maybe that middle-seat person had an equipment swap from a Polarized version?

(Maybe not the case of a 77Y, as the seatmap in E+ are slightly staggered on those.)

Last edited by narvik; Dec 26, 2019 at 7:41 am
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Somebody who was nasty to their admin during the holiday season, so they wound up booked in a middle seat.
wrp96 and JimInOhio like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
I agree with this, and if not available, I will book window and aisle for myself and Mrs Limey, and the poor person in the middle just has to live with us :-)
Just make sure the middle seater gets both armrests
LimeyFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
The rationale is not to switch with anyone, but hope the load is light enough for an empty row. The odds of pax traveling together on any given flight > solo travelers, especially on an INTL long haul.

This works quite well. I do this sometime based on a view of the flight load.
I may be dense, but in the seat map in the OP, what's the benefit to selecting a middle in an occupied row, instead of a middle in one of the 4 empty rows? I can see the strategy behind doing the latter, thwarting a couple from taking the 2 seats next to you and hoping a single traveler will take an aisle or window not next to an occupied seat. But taking the middle of an occupied row:

1) If the occupants don't notice and the flight fills up, you're stuck in the middle

2) If they're traveling together and notice, they might move to an empty row...leaving you in the same position as if you just took an empty-row middle in the first place.

There are other possibilities, but I'm trying to think of one where doing this is avantageous.

Separately -- in general, it's totally fine for co-travelers to take aisle/window...as long as they are prepared to be quietly independent, such that the middle seat person might not even realize they were together. As stated above, talking over the middle person or worse passing stuff back and forth across them is just rude, and an annoyed offer to switch after that happens is to be expected.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Once in a situation like this I was "offered" to swap. I suspect this was because my daughter in the window seat asked me a few questions. If you do not talk across the the middle seater you probably will find far fewer offers/requests to swap. If you pass items over the middle seater to your companion you are almost guaranteed to be offered to swap.
Talking/passing around the middle passenger most assuredly verboten to us. But I guess if they see us talking when they are coming down the aisle then I can see how they might figure it out to ask.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
I would think this is an infrequent flyer who got a middle seat on an otherwise occupied row auto assigned to them. Can’t see why one would purposely select that middle seat where there are a few open 3-seat blocks on adjacent rows.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:12 pm

You could be the person who makes them stop pulling this tactic.
I find it funny how people here are talking/complaining about a solo person picking the middle seat hoping he would get an empty row,
but then people then comment to the OP about how he should pick aisle and window above that row to try to get an empty row to themselves as most travelers need two or no one wants to be sandwiched. LOL hypocrisy at its finest.

People will do whatever it takes to get the advantage so no use knocking on someone else doing the same thing.
kale73 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.