Connection Saver

Old Dec 23, 19, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Connection Saver

Any sense of how this tool is working? Is it really saving lots of connections that otherwise would have been missed? I have an upcoming flight with a tight connection to last flight of the day, so I may need this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: ,united 1k, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
According to one of Unitedís YouTube videos it is.
Old Dec 23, 19, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer View Post
According to one of Unitedís YouTube videos it is.
Excellent. If YouTube says it, then it must be true
Old Dec 23, 19, 4:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have no more of an idea what the criteria are for the tool than your average FTer... But I've noticed a hold for pax much more often since this has been rolled out than before.

Conversely, I've noticed crews are much less willing to make the decision themselves to wait for passengers ("if the tool says not to wait...")
Old Dec 23, 19, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fezzington View Post
Conversely, I've noticed crews are much less willing to make the decision themselves to wait for passengers ("if the tool says not to wait...")
Interesting.
Also surprising [to me]: crews could make the decision to hold and wait for passengers with UNITED? THAT actually happened???
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a connection on Saturday that was scheduled as 30 minutes at DEN, from a regional jet in the B80 range to a mainline flight in the mid B20 range somewhere, on the last flight of the day. We arrived very early, but then stalled waiting for a gate until about six minutes after our scheduled arrival. I was able to get off the plane early — one of the few times I’ve moved up past people who weren’t ready — and didn’t have a green-tagged bag, so I knew I was going to make it with brisk walking. After a couple of minutes, I got a text that my connection was being protected: it was something like “Breathe easy, we’re holding your flight for a couple of extra minutes, but please proceed to the gate for the convenience of your fellow passengers.

I didn’t need the extra time, and we ended up pushing back two minutes early, but I was the last person on the flight besides one stand-by, so they were definitely waiting for me personally. I certainly appreciated it.
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I experienced it once at KORD just before the official announcement, and it definitely saved my connection.
LAX UA 1K likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I didnít need the extra time, and we ended up pushing back two minutes early, but I was the last person on the flight besides one stand-by, so they were definitely waiting for me personally. I certainly appreciated it.
Out of interest, did your 2nd flight land early? One of the criteria was supposed to be that it would be more likely to be used on flights where they were scheduled to land early (thus the extra wait wasn't leading to a late arrival).
Old Dec 23, 19, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Out of interest, did your 2nd flight land early? One of the criteria was supposed to be that it would be more likely to be used on flights where they were scheduled to land early (thus the extra wait wasn't leading to a late arrival).
Yes. I wondered the same thing when I was sitting on the E145 waiting for the gate to open. Prior to departure, it was estimated to arrive 8 minutes early, and we ended up arriving 16 minutes early.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: