Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Landing gear collapse on UA2429 at EWR- DEN (738) 12 Dec 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Kudos the crew for a safe outcome and keeping people calm. That'd be a high stress situation for all involved. Any FTers on this flight that can share some information from inside the plane?

https://kdvr.com/2019/12/23/faa-says...flight-at-dia/
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Looks to be a 738 #3513

Also route was EWR-DEN
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
ouch. At least not another 752. UA can't afford losing more aircrafts till the Max go back into service
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Not a lot of info. Was the "collapse" partial - say, a few inches or a foot - or did the engine nacelle touch/scrape the ground?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Not a lot of info. Was the "collapse" partial - say, a few inches or a foot - or did the engine nacelle touch/scrape the ground?
Nacelle touched the ground and can be seen in this picture from Twitter. Also reports of showers of sparks from interviews on Denver news channels.

ajGoes and DenverBrian like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by RockinRon
Nacelle touched the ground and can be seen in this picture from Twitter. Also reports of showers of sparks from interviews on Denver news channels.

https://twitter.com/sarosteguy/statu...52215383216128
Yup, that's a collapse. Thanks Ron!
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Looks like this was N87513. Any history of landing gear issues with this particular airframe?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
one more 737 United can spend weeks fixing.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:42 am

I was on the flight with my wife and kids. Scariest moment ever after 2.5 million+ miles. Still dont have our bags but thats the least of my worries. Crew was great. Biggest issue was people who needed wheelchairs needed to be carried down. Very thankful today.

Originally Posted by Toomanymile
I was on the flight with my wife and kids. Scariest moment ever after 2.5 million+ miles. Still dont have our bags but thats the least of my worries. Crew was great. Biggest issue was people who needed wheelchairs needed to be carried down. Very thankful today.
Oh and yes definitely collapsed, right after touchdown. All we can see was sparks and smoke right behind my 8 year old daughters window... smoke lasted for about 15 min after we stopped. We didnt know if engine was on fire. They removed a panel to check before deciding to go with stairs vs slide. Trying to upload pics.

Oh and yes definitely collapsed, right after touchdown. All we can see was sparks and smoke right behind my 8 year old daughters window... smoke lasted for about 15 min after we stopped. We didnt know if engine was on fire. They removed a panel to check before deciding to go with stairs vs slide. Trying to upload pics.
...... need 5 posts to post pics i guess. Forgot my old id. One more random post and i will upload pics

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 23, 2019 at 1:38 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member; allowing more posting
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...... need 5 posts to post pics i guess. Forgot my old id. One more random post and i will upload pics
As you've probably discovered, there is also a 5 post per 24 hour limit for new members...
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Toomanymiles, thanks for trying to post pictures for us. We do appreciate it and we are all glad you, your family and everyone else are safe.
narvik, jsloan and st3 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Thank you for sharing. Have you tried "forgot my password"? As long as you used the same email address, you can reset your password easily.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:00 am

Hi all- Thanks for the words and help. Not that it matters but forgot password wasn't working for me in the morning, and then when I found my old login, turns out I didn't have 5 posts, even though I was a user from the early days (I read FT frequently, guess I don't post much!).

Yesterday was not the best UA day. Baggage situation was terrible. On the phone most of the day, long story, but it ended with me driving to the local airport at 2:30am to get my bags finally.

UA never called me yesterday as promised, combined with the missing bags, I ended up writing a scathing letter around midnight and copied several senior UA execs. To their credit, this morning, they called and offered a fair resolution.

At the end of the day, we are alive, and we have our bags. UA definitely didn't make the situation any better, but they did eventually come through.

Will try to upload a few pics now.

Have a nice holiday everyone and as my wife said after the landing, hug your loved ones!
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Accident: United B738 at Denver on Dec 22nd 2019, main gear collapse on landing
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:20 am

Finally pics

Emergency crew removing an engine panel to make sure there was no fire

Lots of smoke.

Evacuating

Just coming to a stop

Evac bus
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.